National Carrier To Stress Thainess: Thai Airways International's New President

webfact

On the subject of the TG Royal Orchid frequent flier program I wonder how many people realise that TG only counts miles gained from actual flights taken as contributing to status upgrades e.g. to go from silver to gold.

Miles from all other sources are regarded as 2nd Class miles and can only be used for award purchases.

Anyone know if this is a common practise with other airline frequent flier programs or simply one of TG's "idiosyncracies".

I am aware of that, and I think it's quite normal. Miles you earn when flying are called Status Miles and only those contribute to your status. The other kind of miles (from credit cards, hotel bookings etc) are still good for upgrades or free flights.

I used to be a Senator (equiv. Gold Member) at Lufthansa, and I think they do the same. However, that was a long time ago and I am not sure any more.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be the airline that represents Thailand and |the airline that is the best ambassador for Thailand," he said during an interview with Nation chairman Suthichai Yoon last week.

I guess some two tiered pricing would help in it's strive to represent the real Thailand.

Oh, they have that already?

"Some cabin crew are now trained to provide the "Thai smile",

Does this mean that the Thai Smile doesn't come naturally. Is just another one of these false pirated copies that are common to the Thai way or the Thainess.

It doesn't come naturally to those who come from families with the right connections to land them the job and who resent having to serve passengers because they have Burmese maids at home that are treated like sh*t.

• Like 2

Thainess means refusing to hire foreign pilots with the right qualifications and experience to fly the planes in their fleet and hiring air force trained pilots who don't have the right qualifications and experience instead.

• Like 2

Why is everybody here so negative?

I have been a Royal Orchid Plus member since it was introduced in 1995. I've been Gold most of the time, because TG used to be one of the best airlines in the world (check out the history). what happened then was that they started to save money, and from the youngest fleet in the world they became a really old one.

The major problems were:

1.) The seats

2.) The inflight entertainment system

3.) The staff attitude

They are changing this now. I just flew on the A380 to Singapore and none of these problems existed. I was a happy customer.

I am looking forward to the upgrade of all aircraft to the new standard. Yes, a smile from the crew and being friendly on board is indeed a factor that I value. So are the other issues mentioned, including the food. I don't care about the fabric of the uniforms, though.

I have been flying to Europe on OS these past times, because there these four things (adding food to the three items mentioned above) are just right. They will upgrade their business-class seats to 180-degree sleepers next year. I hope TG keeps up with this.

There is no way I will fly a Middle East airline rather than a non-stop flight, even for a 200 "quid" difference.

To be fair THAI business class was never nearly as good as SIA or Cathay even in 1995. I think nostalgia may have lent you rose tinted spectacles. However, the difference widened even more.

You forgot to mention that they removed all the alcoholic beverages from the business class lounges at Swampy assuming passengers would prefer highly sugared orange juice from boxes instead. Admittedly they had a huge problem of theft by staff before but this change affects all the other Star Alliance airlines that have to use the sh*tty and overcrowded Royal Orchid lounges too.

To be fair to the poster who saved the 200 quid by flying a mid East carrier, he did also managed to fly from his local airport in the UK, as he is obviously not in London and this obviously makes a big difference.

• Like 1

The problem that is not addressed by these one-off cosmetic changes is that THAI sadly remains the plaything of corrupt politicians and air force generals which gives it a sustainable competitive disadvantage against serious commercial airlines that are run for the benefit of the shareholders.

But when all is said and done, what could be more quintessential of "Thainess" than corruption?

• Like 1

Interesting point about the Biz class on Thai. I flew LHR-BKK recently on Thai, and the Biz class was good, but not brilliant. I have flown LHR-SIN-BKK a number of times in Biz as well, and they are not even remotely comparable. SQ is so so much better, in terms of service and facilities. The Middle East Airlines are also better, and I don't mind a 2 hour stop over, for a better in flight experience. Thai sadly has not moved on in years, and got complacent as to what they once were (Sounds familiar). I very much doubt there will be any significant sea change even with the new president, the proof will be in the pudding on that, and it sounds similar to previous announcements from THAI. I'll fly THAI if someone else is paying, but if it's out of my own pocket, I'll shop around.

The OP just sounds like a classic PR release, I'm surprised it made 3 pages...

To those describing themselves as "cheapskates", remember that this is exactly what makes you NOT a priority by airlines. It's already difficult to be profitable in this line of business...

Of course SQ/CX/airlines from MEA are better (actually not all of them), but they're not in the same category...

Edited by GaiUan

Maybe all previous posters have been flying different Thai Airways than me. While I agree that SQ is definitely better, still my experience with other airlines (Turkish, Qatar, Hong Kong, Lufthansa, Air France, Aeroflot, Transaero (Russian), Aerosvit (Ukrainian) - doesn't even come close to TG. I take direct TG economy flights Moscow-Bangkok regularly, and I haven't been happier on a 9 hour-long flight.

I cannot agree, that the food (always a choice of 2 meals - one Thai and one European) is bad. Both service and amenities are exemplary. Couldn't complain about the entertainment system either. My biggest complain would be pricing

On the other hand, for the original post my opinion is the very idea of "stressing Thainess' is a load of <deleted>. Obviously a "new broom" effect. Upgrading the fleet would do much better job.

The problem with 'Thai International's' new president is that he's never had to actually pay for a ticket and line up with the rest of the cattle who fly on Thai's decrepit old fleet. I bet if he had to pay for a ticket then things would improve dramatically...

At least he could afford to pay for it.

I don`t know why some on here seem to be sneering at the chap who saved £200, flew from the airport of his choice and with a carrier I think few would argue provides a far better service than THAI currently do. Not everyone lives in a capital city and has money to waste - does that make them some kind of lesser being whose opinion counts for nothing? Now: back to `Thainess`...

Edited by baboon
  • Like 1

to be the airline that represents Thailand and |the airline that is the best ambassador for Thailand," he said during an interview with Nation chairman Suthichai Yoon last week.

I guess some two tiered pricing would help in it's strive to represent the real Thailand.

Oh, they have that already?

Yes, all airlines have that, and more than two tiers. It is called Price Discrimination in Marketing, and guess what: It's both legal and legitimate.

I have been a Royal Orchid Plus member since it was introduced in 1995. I've been Gold most of the time, because TG used to be one of the best airlines in the world (check out the history). what happened then was that they started to save money, and from the youngest fleet in the world they became a really old one.

The major problems were:

1.) The seats

3.) The staff attitude

They are changing this now. I just flew on the A380 to Singapore and none of these problems existed. I was a happy customer.

I am looking forward to the upgrade of all aircraft to the new standard. Yes, a smile from the crew and being friendly on board is indeed a factor that I value. So are the other issues mentioned, including the food. I don't care about the fabric of the uniforms, though.

I have been flying to Europe on OS these past times, because there these four things (adding food to the three items mentioned above) are just right. They will upgrade their business-class seats to 180-degree sleepers next year. I hope TG keeps up with this.

There is no way I will fly a Middle East airline rather than a non-stop flight, even for a 200 "quid" difference.

To be fair THAI business class was never nearly as good as SIA or Cathay even in 1995. I think nostalgia may have lent you rose tinted spectacles. However, the difference widened even more.

You forgot to mention that they removed all the alcoholic beverages from the business class lounges at Swampy assuming passengers would prefer highly sugared orange juice from boxes instead. Admittedly they had a huge problem of theft by staff before but this change affects all the other Star Alliance airlines that have to use the sh*tty and overcrowded Royal Orchid lounges too.

To be fair to the poster who saved the 200 quid by flying a mid East carrier, he did also managed to fly from his local airport in the UK, as he is obviously not in London and this obviously makes a big difference.

He made it sound like the airline was the issue but you say the airport served was the issue. Is this thread about the quality of Thai Airways or about the airport of convenience?

And I don't know why you say the alcoholic beverages were removed from TG's lounges drinks menu. This is simply not true. I am in the D lounge at Suvarnabhuni about two times per month on average, sometimes in other lounges, and have never experienced a lounge without alcohol. Why are you saying this?

Let us talk about "thainess". What a joke. Each time I fly Thai, I am greeted by grumpy, tired flight attendants, whose semblance of a smile is purely perfunctory. Helpfulness is ridiculous. Once, my seat would recline automatically... And they would notice it only because the position was off while about to land. Obviously, did not notice it before takeoff.

My last flight from KUL to BKK was probably one of the worst. I will pass on the old plane without individual screens... But one of the stewards had a fed up look and never even smiled to greet the passengers. Most of them, btw looked bored to death and seemed to hate the guts of the people they were serving. On top of that they are miser as hell. Instead of giving you a glass and fill it with whatever you choose to drink, they bring along a tray, half-filled with juice, water or wine and ask you to choose...

The service quality is leagues below Qatar Airways to quote one of them...

• Like 1

Let us talk about "thainess". What a joke. Each time I fly Thai, I am greeted by grumpy, tired flight attendants, whose semblance of a smile is purely perfunctory. Helpfulness is ridiculous. Once, my seat would recline automatically... And they would notice it only because the position was off while about to land. Obviously, did not notice it before takeoff.

My last flight from KUL to BKK was probably one of the worst. I will pass on the old plane without individual screens... But one of the stewards had a fed up look and never even smiled to greet the passengers. Most of them, btw looked bored to death and seemed to hate the guts of the people they were serving. On top of that they are miser as hell. Instead of giving you a glass and fill it with whatever you choose to drink, they bring along a tray, half-filled with juice, water or wine and ask you to choose...

Did you even read the OP? You should be jubilating! Your troubles will soon be over. New planes or new seats, flight attendants losing the grumpiness and smiling at you, the works. The new president has heard you and is going to change it. :)

By the way, if you think TG air hostesses are grumpy and the drinks served not in a way you like, try Lufthansa. They won't even serve the drinks (during the night), you'll just have to go to the galley and get it by yourself.

I like the way TG comes with trays of different drinks. Or do you mean you would prefer them to ask each passenger what they want, run to the galley and get it, and then ask the next passenger?

• Like 2

The major problems were:

1.) The seats

3.) The staff attitude

He made it sound like the airline was the issue but you say the airport served was the issue. Is this thread about the quality of Thai Airways or about the airport of convenience?

And I don't know why you say the alcoholic beverages were removed from TG's lounges drinks menu. This is simply not true. I am in the D lounge at Suvarnabhuni about two times per month on average, sometimes in other lounges, and have never experienced a lounge without alcohol. Why are you saying this?

When I was there last in September, there was still alcoholic drinks served in the longe. I have to admit though, it's one of the shittiest and most crowded Lounges that I have used.

Did you even read the OP? You should be jubilating! Your troubles will soon be over. New planes or new seats, flight attendants losing the grumpiness and smiling at you, the works. The new president has heard you and is going to change it. smile.png

By the way, if you think TG air hostesses are grumpy and the drinks served not in a way you like, try Lufthansa. They won't even serve the drinks (during the night), you'll just have to go to the galley and get it by yourself.

You seriously believe what the new bloke says? It's just a bland PR release. THAI have been churning out the same nonsense for years.

Only flown Lufthansa once a couple of years back to KL, so can't really comment on what they are like.; but there will need to be massive changes in THAI to convince me that they are worth paying more to fly with.

Did you even read the OP? You should be jubilating! Your troubles will soon be over. New planes or new seats, flight attendants losing the grumpiness and smiling at you, the works. The new president has heard you and is going to change it. smile.png

I like the way TG comes with trays of different drinks. Or do you mean you would prefer them to ask each passenger what they want, run to the galley and get it, and then ask the next passenger?

No, just like any normal airline, circulate a cart with the various drinks and glasses and ask everyone what he prefers. wink.png

Who gives a toss if the flight attendants smile or not, or are grumpy. Just get on the plane, sit down, order a drink and relax. Oh no, the flight attendant did not smile, what a disaster!

I have never had any issues with Thai Airways. They have always been polite and efficient. I don't know how some people on TV act in the real world, but seemingly people on here run into every problem going. Airport queues, taxi mafia, no booze in lounges, unsmiling cabin crew etc Either that or they just love to whinge about the place.