National Carrier To Stress Thainess: Thai Airways International's New President

webfact

Can't wait to hear "Welcome Aboard Hansum Man". rolleyes.gif

You've never been told that upon boarding? tongue.png

One of my training courses, which I've delivered to several state agencies here and the Sing. Tourism Board, highlights that it is more important to

a) Find out how others see you, not how you think others see you

B) Deliver what you portray/sell . . . whether it is in the realm of tourism, going after investment in a local environment etc...

With airlines it really is a matter of reputation, quality and competitive pricing . . . and if these issues are not addressed then you can have as much 'unique fabric' in your uniforms as you like . . . you'll not get more customers

• Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Thainess, mean that you have to pay over the odds for sub-standard service and crap airplanes on UK routes? As the majority of people are likely to fly economy, they are certainly going to get "Thainess", as smile a empties their wallet for what amounts to the worst airline (Economy) on the LHR-BKK route.

I can't fault their business class, which is excellent (as it should be), but it says a lot about an airline when they don't even have in seat entertainment on long haul flights in Economy. Airlines such as Emirates, Etihad, Eva, Jet, Qatar are so much better, even with a stop over. There isn't much competition with direct flights, the best of a pretty bad bunch BA,QANTAS -which are slightly better than THAI on that route.

• Like 1

Does Thainess, mean that you have to pay over the odds for sub-standard service and crap airplanes on UK routes? As the majority of people are likely to fly economy, they are certainly going to get "Thainess", as smile a empties their wallet for what amounts to the worst airline (Economy) on the LHR-BKK route.

I can't fault their business class, which is excellent (as it should be), but it says a lot about an airline when they don't even have in seat entertainment on long haul flights in Economy. Airlines such as Emirates, Etihad, Eva, Jet, Qatar are so much better, even with a stop over. There isn't much competition with direct flights, the best of a pretty bad bunch BA,QANTAS -which are slightly better than THAI on that route.

Emirates had entertainment systems in economy 20 years ago.

After spotting a shower in Emirates' first class cabin plus a maid who always keeps it clean during an observation flight, Sorajak now plans to introduce Thai traditional massage to |first-class passengers on Airbus A380 flights to main destina-tions like Paris, Frankfurt and London.

So the massage will include a thai style happy ending?

As United Airlines used to say, "Come, fly with us"

After spotting a shower in Emirates' first class cabin plus a maid who always keeps it clean during an observation flight, Sorajak now plans to introduce Thai traditional massage to |first-class passengers on Airbus A380 flights to main destina-tions like Paris, Frankfurt and London.

Will there be a new oily surcharge? :(

Edited by Payboy

Will there be a new oil surcharge? sad.png

An application for the mile high club will be included with the tickets.

The applicable oil surcharge will be waived once membership is approved.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

So the massage will include a thai style happy ending?

If you have the money they have the happy ending.

It seems like Thainess and a lack of consciousness about marketing and service has run this dinosaur airline into the ground. This is a wacko set of priorities. Thais leader should be focusing on cutting costs such as the layers of fat in management. Particularly the retired military and their payrolls. Those who never show up for any real work.

The improvement of service, on time factors, reduction of checkin times, airport facilities, better rewards points systems and more efficient service oriented training should be higher up the priority food chain than this "Thainess" thing, whatever that is supposed to be. Maybe someday, some editor who doesn't ramble around and log in with tripe, can offer a reasonable explanation of "Thainess."

The pooyai has spoken and no one will disagree. Get it.

Exactly. He is only stating what his Thai bosses in government, who can fire him at will, want to hear. As soon as his idea screws them up even worse, if possible, then they'll be loking for another Thai patsy to continue running it into the ground.

"Everybody knows that Thailand is the best in the world when it comes to food" So chauvinistic comment! I agree that Thai food is great, I love it but I also love Japanese,Frensh, Chinese and Italian food, I think that they are far more popular in the other hand I didn't quite understand why did he means by "Thainess", but in the other hand, who cares?

Edited by Om85
  • Like 1

It's a shame that TG really seems to be continuing its downward slide, as it was once far better than most other airlines. They're not competitive, and the top-heavy management seem out-of-touch and unwilling or unable to take responsibility for what really needs to change. Oh well.

stress thainess, ensuring the largely government controlled board of thai airways still get their perks and kickbacks (the reason the old President lost his job, trying to clean up the airline and invest in updating the fleet)

Edited by fish fingers

Why is everybody here so negative?

I have been a Royal Orchid Plus member since it was introduced in 1995. I've been Gold most of the time, because TG used to be one of the best airlines in the world (check out the history). what happened then was that they started to save money, and from the youngest fleet in the world they became a really old one.

The major problems were:

1.) The seats

2.) The inflight entertainment system

3.) The staff attitude

They are changing this now. I just flew on the A380 to Singapore and none of these problems existed. I was a happy customer.

I am looking forward to the upgrade of all aircraft to the new standard. Yes, a smile from the crew and being friendly on board is indeed a factor that I value. So are the other issues mentioned, including the food. I don't care about the fabric of the uniforms, though.

I have been flying to Europe on OS these past times, because there these four things (adding food to the three items mentioned above) are just right. They will upgrade their business-class seats to 180-degree sleepers next year. I hope TG keeps up with this.

There is no way I will fly a Middle East airline rather than a non-stop flight, even for a 200 "quid" difference.

"Some cabin crew are now trained to provide the "Thai smile",

Does this mean that the Thai Smile doesn't come naturally. Is just another one of these false pirated copies that are common to the Thai way or the Thainess.

The Thai smile comes free at any bar on Sukhumvit

Free! At the prices they charge?

He-he-he... What a joke!

The idea of Thainess may be very important between Thais, but... what happens the first time a rich & drunk first-class passenger orders a massage and then demands more.

Massage in first-class -- a very bad idea... I'd say.

Brad

*Hint*

Could be something to do with TG not being what they say they are but constantly saying they are what they are not, and that is a world class carrier.

The only reason they have lasted so long in a very competitive market is down to slush money, not value for or service levels.

• Like 1

*Hint*

Could be something to do with TG not being what they say they are but constantly saying they are what they are not, and that is a world class carrier.

The only reason they have lasted so long in a very competitive market is down to slush money, not value for or service levels.

Have you noticed that they have a new president? It sounds like he knows what needs to be done. Why not be happy about the changes, if you are unhappy with the status quo?

And as a passenger, I don't care about any slush money or whether they have to fly to commercially unreasonable destinations (remember the flights to Pyongyang?). I care about the seats, the IFE, the attitude of the flight attendants (one reason I don't like to fly airlines in the U.S.) and lastly, the food.

I am happy that this is being addressed and see no need or even reason to be negative about it.

Thainess---blasting air con with broken vents as i watch everyone fiddle with the vents above--

blasting cd that skips sometimes of thai love songs--whether u wanna hear it or not---

soymilk--cookies and a bean roll for your meal---free massage then nagged for an upgrade

a hi-so reclines his seat all the way back on u clipping ur kneecaps--thus knocking over soymilk!!

i leave in 4 day----china airline--chi-ness?...had enough fake "thainess" for now--chok dee wai2.gif

"Thainess" is an English word, and may be a questionable translation. I would think he used the term "kwam pen thai" (= what it means to be Thai, and has to do with "naam jai" and all these attributes that have not been mentioned here but are implicit in the Thai word) which has a meaning for Thais. Anyway, if you don't like "Thainess" (for want of a better word), why are you posting here?

Here's a clue. I spend 10-12 hours flying to Thailand. I'm a cheapskate. The £200 I save by flying Emirates from my local airport rather than spending 2 hours travelling to LHR to fly Thai will buy me a week's accommodation in Bangkok. I'm happy to forgo 'Thainess' for a few hours if it saves me 200 quid coffee1.gif

Emirateness over Hi-Soness? Sounds good to me too!

On the subject of the TG Royal Orchid frequent flier program I wonder how many people realise that TG only counts miles gained from actual flights taken as contributing to status upgrades e.g. to go from silver to gold.

Miles from all other sources are regarded as 2nd Class miles and can only be used for award purchases.

Anyone know if this is a common practise with other airline frequent flier programs or simply one of TG's "idiosyncracies".

On the subject of the TG Royal Orchid frequent flier program I wonder how many people realise that TG only counts miles gained from actual flights taken as contributing to status upgrades e.g. to go from silver to gold.

Miles from all other sources are regarded as 2nd Class miles and can only be used for award purchases.

Anyone know if this is a common practise with other airline frequent flier programs or simply one of TG's "idiosyncracies".

I am aware of that, and I think it's quite normal. Miles you earn when flying are called Status Miles and only those contribute to your status. The other kind of miles (from credit cards, hotel bookings etc) are still good for upgrades or free flights.

I used to be a Senator (equiv. Gold Member) at Lufthansa, and I think they do the same. However, that was a long time ago and I am not sure any more.