Pledging Policy Sees U K Importers Shun Thai Rice

webfact

And the market, built up over centuries, withers due to the lunacy of an unelected fugitive

And the trade delegation - did they get to do fun fairs, shopping, take 40 of them, stay at five star hotels, take their daughters? And as per the other posts, all this because an unelected conman and convicted criminal is pulling Thailand's purse strings and scamming as much as he can, and being allowed to do it.

In the words of the Bishop of Canterbury in 1162 regarding Thomas Becket... "Will no one rid me of this man..." Take Thaksin out (of the equation) and Thailand may just get back to normal.

It was actually 'will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest' and spoken by Henry II.

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is no real surprise, the Thai government is very effectively pricing Thailand out of the global rice market, this country will end up with huge stockpiles of rotten rice that will only be fit for consumption by rats.

I like to eat rice feed rats. wink.png

And the market, built up over centuries, withers due to the lunacy of an unelected fugitive

And the trade delegation - did they get to do fun fairs, shopping, take 40 of them, stay at five star hotels, take their daughters? And as per the other posts, all this because an unelected conman and convicted criminal is pulling Thailand's purse strings and scamming as much as he can, and being allowed to do it.

In the words of the Bishop of Canterbury in 1162 regarding Thomas Becket... "Will no one rid me of this man..." Take Thaksin out (of the equation) and Thailand may just get back to normal.

It was actually 'will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest' and spoken by Henry II.

Turbulent according to Shakespeare.

Henry Tudor if I remember correctly

Why isn't passing Economics 101 a prerequisite for public office at any level in any government in the world?

Dr. gordon brown has a phd. in economics and he managed to run up a 950 billion pound debt in he uk , educated idiot i would'nt send him out to buy a loaf of bread

Not unlike his US counterpart Obama. Sounds like two peas in a pod.

Why isn't passing Economics 101 a prerequisite for public office at any level in any government in the world?

Dr. Gordon Brown has a phd. in economics and he managed to run up a 950 billion pound debt in the uk, proves there are educated idiots, would'nt trust him to buy a loaf of bread

maybe yingluk can call her friend David cheesy.gif

all jokes asside. Isn't it common in thailand as customers fade to put prices up - that's what they do in pattaya and not long after the said business is shutters down for good

I honestly believe Thaksin is trying to ruin this country, he may also have found a way to use the rice scheme to siphon money into his own pocket through bogus accounts, if so he will continue to get away with it until there is a full scale fiscal review which this government refuses to do whistling.gif

I tend to agree with you. I think Thaksin is so bitter about his money being seized and loosing face he is hell bent on ruining the entire country. Kind of like "if I can't have it then you can't either". The difference is that he is recovering it bit by bit through Yingluck and the cronies.

Absolutely correct on both your counts. Can you imagine the loss of face, a coup taking place in your absence, and people handing flowers to the soldiers and tank guys? And a bloodless coup to boot. It was beautifully executed. Now if only we can get a repeat whilst Yingluck is shopping at Harrods with our money...

• Like 2

Dr. Gordon Brown has a phd. in economics and he managed to run up a 950 billion pound debt in the uk, proves there are educated idiots, would'nt trust him to buy a loaf of bread

Twice now you've said it, twice you've been wrong. His PHd is in history, so maybe he would be looking at buying a very old loaf.

Remind me not to read your posts again

< snipped for quote count>

No prizes for your memory today Moruya.wink.png

Henry II was the 1st Plantagenet King and was, as we all know, referring to Thomas Becket who was the Archbishop of Canterbury until Henry had him assassinated ( Sounds familiar ?) .

Henry preferred Basmati rice with his Vindaloo.

Edited by ratcatcher

< snipped for quote count>

No prizes for your memory today Moruya.wink.png

Henry II was the 1st Plantagenet King and was, as we all know, referring to Thomas Becket who was the Archbishop of Canterbury until Henry had him assassinated ( Sounds familiar ?) .

Henry preferred Basmati rice with his Vindaloo.

Haha!

I stand corrected.

I'd agree about the Basmati rice. A bit nuttier than the more scented Hom Mali although the 2012 vintage may have different properties when it is finally released

• Like 2

Well this is no real surprise, the Thai government is very effectively pricing Thailand out of the global rice market, this country will end up with huge stockpiles of rotten rice that will only be fit for consumption by rats.

its pretty much rotten already. did you see the comment from the Nigerian govt. which imported thai rice, he said the rice was at least

15 years old and yellow. its real bad news, the old crap rice is also retailed all over locally.

its pretty much rotten already. did you see the comment from the Nigerian govt. which imported thai rice, he said the rice was at least

15 years old and yellow. its real bad news, the old crap rice is also retailed all over locally.

the rice was at least 15 years old and yellow.

1lg066vomit.gif

Edited by Buchholz

Besides the other paper, an article is here: http://oryza.com/Rice-News/16934.html

Besides the other paper, an article is here: http://oryza.com/Rice-News/16934.html

What goes around comes around. By the way this a Thainess.

Hey...It's the west. Most of the consumers don't know the difference between "superior" rice and "average" rice. What they do know is the price of rice. So, they will buy what is the most affordable, no matter how much Thailand tries to promote their overpriced product.

Rice in the UK for a lot of consumers is branded products at massive mark up prices like "Uncle Bens" a small box of boil in a bag will cost over a quid, only the comercial market knows how to buy rice - by the large bag load

yeah, your right and its crap too , cant compare it to many other strains of rice but i think most brits dont know the difference , only in recent times i have been able to tell good rice from cheap {neow} rice and im not a big rice eater i find most of it very bland.

Since Thailand’s Thai-Chinese overlords are certainly aware of the laws of economics, I’m going to assume that what is happening is precisely what they intended: To APPEAR to be helping the poor farmers in the short term (in exchange for their votes), while (deliberately) impoverishing them in the longer term, thereby making them more dependent on the government in the future.

And probably encouraging farmers to borrow against their land because the prices are so high they can afford to repay the loans with no problem. Alas, when the scheme comes crashing down, the rich will end up with the farmers land. But, no real problem there either because they can work the land for the new owners, probably corrupt village officials/ loan sharks.

• Like 2

nobody has mentioned the strength of the baht as being a factor yet, if it was 60B+ to the £ again it would be competative on the global market, but the elite are making a fortune from tourist money with their hotels and shopping malls etc, so why change it eh ? i mean there are ONLY 68m other thais struggling right !

Since Thailand’s Thai-Chinese overlords are certainly aware of the laws of economics, I’m going to assume that what is happening is precisely what they intended: To APPEAR to be helping the poor farmers in the short term (in exchange for their votes), while (deliberately) impoverishing them in the longer term, thereby making them more dependent on the government in the future.

And probably encouraging farmers to borrow against their land because the prices are so high they can afford to repay the loans with no problem. Alas, when the scheme comes crashing down, the rich will end up with the farmers land. But, no real problem there either because they can work the land for the new owners, probably corrupt village officials/ loan sharks.

and that's the cycle they need to break out of

nobody has mentioned the strength of the baht as being a factor yet, if it was 60B+ to the £ again it would be competative on the global market, but the elite are making a fortune from tourist money with their hotels and shopping malls etc, so why change it eh ? i mean there are ONLY 68m other thais struggling right !

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the baht was 60 to the pound, the "elite" could increase their prices by 50% and make MORE of a fortune from tourist money.

So they idea that the "elite" are fixing the exchange rate to make money of tourists doesn't make much sense.

sent from-would like to know

As usual Thaksin and friend don't really care about Thailand and Thai people and their economy. All they care is to line up their packets from Thai treasury

I suppose though some could say that beats enriching yourself on the back of the labour of the poor.

Edited by Thai at Heart