Ok, Thaksin Is Now Gone. Who Will Replace Him?

george

Ok, PM Thaksin is now gone, and the country will vote for the next prime minister. Who will replace him?

Name the next leader!

Quote: BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4703224.stm

Thai leader considers referendum

Mr Thaksin is facing regular protests calling for his resignation

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has offered a concession to his critics by saying he might hold a referendum to amend the constitution.

"I welcome the call for constitutional changes, but I have to ask for the public's approval," Mr Thaksin said.

His made the comments in a weekly radio address, shortly before a rally by protesters calling for his resignation.

By late afternoon about 5,000 people had gathered at Bangkok's Royal Plaza, chanting anti-Thaksin slogans.

The prime minister has refused to quit, despite repeated rallies calling for him to go.

A protest last Saturday drew at least 50,000 people - the largest since Mr Thaksin came to power in 2001.

Many of the demonstrators are supporters of media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul, who has held regular rallies accusing Mr Thaksin of corruption and abuse of power, as well as cracking down on press freedom.

Shin Corp deal

The anti-Thaksin campaign was given recent momentum by his family's $1.9bn sale of telecoms giant Shin Corp.

The deal was heavily criticised in the Thai press, mainly because it was engineered so Mr Thaksin's children - not the prime minister - sold the shares, and the family avoided paying capital gains tax.

Others objected to the deal because they said important Thai assets were being sold to foreigners.

"I think our prime minister is not honest. He sold our assets, our satellites and mobile phones, to Singapore. His action is stupid, and he's not sincere," one protester at Saturday's rally, Dananat Nimitanya, told the French news agency AFP.

Although Mr Thaksin has lost the support of many among the middle classes, he still enjoys considerable support in rural Thailand.

The rally is due to continue until late into Saturday evening, and analysts are anxiously watching the turnout, seeing it as an indication of whether the anti-government campaign is gathering pace or losing momentum.

So, tell me, were the past Thai PM’s so much better than Thaksin? Will the next be any better? Has Thaksin not done anything good for Thailand? Has Thailand not progressed at all under Thaksin?

There seems to be so much corruption in Thailand, should it not be an accepted part of government and life?

I don’t know anything like enough about Thai politics and I ask these questions honestly out of ignorance. However, I do not follow the masses without reason, so would like more information on the situation past and present.

QUOTE(Sunderland @ 2006-02-13 11:55:57) *

Nong Nat seems to be quite popular at the moment. She would win the people's popular vote. biggrin.gif

I'm sure most Thai politicians wouldn't mind working under Nong Nat. giggle.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if some already had!

It is not for us to say and it is a Prime Minister so the selection is up to the party or the parties in power.

FYI: A former governor has just resigned from his program on Channel 5 according to Channel 5 news at noon.

……..and now we see the army stretching their muscles once again. I’m more than happy having the democratically elected PM rather than the ex General PM as our leader.

QUOTE(Sunderland @ 2006-02-13 11:55:57) *

Nong Nat seems to be quite popular at the moment. She would win the people's popular vote. biggrin.gif

I'm sure most Thai politicians wouldn't mind working under Nong Nat. giggle.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if some already had!

Beat me to it, I think shes holed up with some lesbo @ the moment though :o

Thaksin gone...

It will "party time for parties" again.

Factions, divisions, games... like before. We would have certainly an unknown man for PM, who will be the prisonner of many factions. Therefore, he would be weak.

There would be some advantages to that situation : corruption yes, but on a minor scale (with Thaksin we had the "industrial" scale), more laid back.

We would probably recover some advantages we had in the past : drugs and booze everywhere, opening hours 24/24 for all venues.

:o

Thailand would recover its smile.

"Ah on peut toujours rêver".

Nong Nat seems to be quite popular at the moment. She would win the people's popular vote. :D

I'm sure most Thai politicians wouldn't mind working under Nong Nat. :o

'Nong Nat' has gone a little out of fashion since the emergence of a new little half Thai/Farang former singer who decided to put on a show for the camera! Goes by the name of 'Anna'

Not only does she perform remarkably well in front of the camera she also proves herself a proficient speaker of the English language.

While PM Thaksin enjoys using the longest available English words he can find in a 'talking dictionary' to the complete boredom of the listener.

Miss Anna, a former singer, turned naughty movie star prides herself in lines such as "What are you doing baby?" - "Ooh, not the handcuffs again!" and "Turn the camera around a bit"

Next leader of Thailand?

How about the rub-a-dub bath tycoon, the splendid......Mr Chuwit himself!

Edited by stevesuphan

Nong Nat seems to be quite popular at the moment. She would win the people's popular vote. :D

Last night I asked 'Natty' if she'd be interested in the PM position.

Her eyes lit up until I explained that it wasn't to be found in the Karma Sutra.

:o

vote KURGEN :D

A free case of beer and minimum 1 year visa for anyone who votes KURGEN

who cares about policies , there's beer at stake :D

Ok, if I will ever be allowed to vote in LOS you got my vote... :D:o

Last night I asked 'Natty' if she'd be interested in the PM position.

Her eyes lit up until I explained that it wasn't to be found in the Karma Sutra.

:D

:D

Edited by Khun Yak

Does it really matter who replaces Taksin? This is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. It starts at the very top and goes all the way to the very bottom! The only way a 'new' leader will help this country is if he is 'an honest, non-corrupt, poor sod, and has morals', and every one of the senior government people are replaced with 'the same'.