House Warming Party How Much For Monks?

sms747

I have no idea, you can have 5 or 10 monks who sit and chant a lot in pali that nobody understands a word of. Apparently we 'have' to have this done before living in a new house or we go to hell or it's unlucky or some other rubbish, so it has to be done. Question is how much to put in envelopes to give the monks? Mrs will not go further than the usual up to us. Anyone had one of these ceremonies and if so what did you give them? Sorry but did not know if this should be posted here, in religion or housing.

Did this two weeks ago. Same as MJCM but no gifts. This was done in Bangkok. Borrowed chairs, mats, alter, dishes plates, glasses, etc. from the temple and upon returning the same put 1k in the donation box. We also paid for transportation for the monks, both drop off and pick up, but as thre temple is quite close to home this did not amount to much. Food enough for the monks and the guests with plenty left over.

Actually I would call it a House Blessing Ceremony. The House Warming follows after the monks have gone and the guests start eating and drinking.

Edited by GarryP

Did this two weeks ago. Same as MJCM but no gifts. This was done in Bangkok. Borrowed chairs, mats, alter, dishes plates, glasses, etc. from the temple and upon returning the same put 1k in the donation box. We also paid for transportation for the monks, both drop off and pick up, but as thre temple is quite close to home this did not amount to much. Food enough for the monks and the guests with plenty left over.

Actually I would call it a House Blessing Ceremony. The House Warming follows after the monks have gone and the guests start eating and drinking.

So it just cost you 1000 all in and you did not give each monk something each?

Nine monks is a normal 'quota' . I think MJCM's 1000/500 sounds about right.

Just an aside... you may consider it 'rubbish' but do not persuade your wife to forego the ceremony. If you do and something serious happens to the house or anybody living in it then it will be your fault for not having the ceremony. Yes even if it happens 1, 5 or 10 years or more in the future. She will not forget. Just humour her and have the ceremony it's only once.

• Like 1

So it just cost you 1000 all in and you did not give each monk something each?

No, 1000 for the head monk and 500 for each of the other monks - total 5k for the monks (the same as MJCM).

Yes normal custom to have a house party for a new house especially in the North East. Did the same 2 years ago.

The normal is 9 monks (lucky number in THailand).

A very early start for the day with wife and family start cooking at 6am or earlier. The monks will eat at 11am.

This is their last meal of the day.

Head monk given envelope with 1,000B the others 500B. No gifts of clothing given. (they normally have so many of these clothes anyway)

Did the normal of plenty of food for the monks. But before they all sat down to eat the Head Monk tied white string all around the outside of the house.

Family will normally borrow a lot of stuff like chairs, tables, mats, cooking utensils, plates etc from the local temple.

I had to pick up then return the monks in my pick-up but not far away.

After monks have gone then everybody else eats and later in the day the villagers come to join in the party usually giving an envelope with some money.

Live in Thailand then tradition goes with it.

Smile a lot and enjoy. In a way it is like introducing and welcoming you to the local community.

Sorry my reply is a bit of all over the place but typing as I think of things.

Edited by Pormax

why would your wife say up to you on an issue like this? does she just totally abstain from all responsibility/human action? she is the one insisting that they come and should have a better idea of a proper donation than you do.

cos she's thai !

Real Monks should not expect money. This is why they walk around early morning to receive food related gifts. For some reason you also se them hanging around Panthip and checking out the latest laptops, iPhones etc. rolleyes.gif

Times have changed they used to not be able to own anything except robes and the odd alms bowl. Actually it goes against the grain to give any of them anything these days after seeing local head monks betting in the early hours at muay thai and worse at phantip. It seems religion here now is nothing more than a business. I think the morning food thing is not done because they need the grub but rather to offer people the chance to make merit, it is however one on the nicer traditions left. I wonder how long it will be before they start charging for that?

Just an aside... you may consider it 'rubbish' but do not persuade your wife to forego the ceremony. If you do and something serious happens to the house or anybody living in it then it will be your fault for not having the ceremony. Yes even if it happens 1, 5 or 10 years or more in the future. She will not forget. Just humour her and have the ceremony it's only once.

I could not get my own way on anything, even the removal firm. So I can expect to fork out about 5k just for the chanting, that's a help so thanks for the replies. At least they get it over with fairly quickly, eat, then clear off.

Edited by sms747

Usually...I have very little to say about ANYTHING.

There seem to be resident experts whose knowledge is infinitely deeper than mine.

HOWEVER...viola!

I've got something to offer.

Brace yerselves.

A few years ago, I was ensconsed in Sin City--AKA Pattaya-with a painted dancehall queen...whose brother--whom I considered a decent guy since he was one of the few in the family who did not try to rip me off--had a drinking problem.

In a last ditch effor to rehabilitate himself, he became a monk for the 3 months Khao Pan Sar--the Rains Retreat--at a wat in Chonburi.

He is handsone, personable guy, about 35 years old.

After he had been at the Wat for a while, we--the Royal "We"--visited him at the wat.

His sister--my previous inamorata--and he babbled on for quite a while.

When we were in the car, his story unfolded.

At some point...he found himself popular with Those In Command at the wat and he was slotted into the Chanting Crew.

Weddings, funerals, Blessings etc etc.

He suddenly had READY CASH...on account of the unbridled benevolence of the supplicants.

Heady stuff for an Issarn guy, inured to lifelong poverty.

Several things flowed from this.

He finished up staying 3 YEARS..instead of the 3 months he effectively signed on for.

He had never made so much money EVER ..in his life.

I was so impressed at his new found business acumen that I gave him the money to purchase a lease hold over some temple land.

He was certain he would garner the boodle to build a modest house...if only the chanting continued.

As for the OPs question...How Much....he told me the monks were VERY happy with 300 baht for the foot soldiers..and 500 baht for the OIC.

"Tales from the Vienna Woods"...can't hold a candle to Thailand

• Like 1

I see from a paper in Bkk today that a monk in chon buri just won 54 million on the lottery, as the saying goes you could not really make it up. Now he will have to come to bkk due to all the claims from people saying he owes them cash, in some cases millions. Of course he could have just donated it all as I think he should have.

I see from a paper in Bkk today that a monk in chon buri just won 54 million on the lottery, as the saying goes you could not really make it up. Now he will have to come to bkk due to all the claims from people saying he owes them cash, in some cases millions. Of course he could have just donated it all as I think he should have.

Excuse for me writing this, but it seems to me that you are just looking for an excuse not to give them any money.

It's of course up to you, just give them any amount which you think is adequate, or let your wife / gf deal with it.

Edited by MJCM

Head monk given envelope with 1,000B the others 500B.

Given that workers in a chicken factory or on a building site are lucky to get the 300B national minimum wage for a full day's labour, 1000B or 500B for a morning's chanting seems like a good deal, especially as they live all-found and (supposedly) are frugal anyway.

Temple Land??

Yes.

Cathedral land may not for "For General Distribution"

But hey!

TIT.

For a pointer to the manifold prestidigitations involving temple land...google Alpine land scandal

Interestingly...he was initially promised more land than he subsequently received.

Which was precious little to begin with.

MORE interestingly...after he exited the wat, he promptly split from his longtime partner.

Aah...the very unfathomability of Thailand has to be it's premium drawcard.

Usually...I have very little to say about ANYTHING.

There seem to be resident experts whose knowledge is infinitely deeper than mine.

HOWEVER...viola!

I've got something to offer.

Brace yerselves.

A few years ago, I was ensconsed in Sin City--AKA Pattaya-with a painted dancehall queen...whose brother--whom I considered a decent guy since he was one of the few in the family who did not try to rip me off--had a drinking problem.

In a last ditch effor to rehabilitate himself, he became a monk for the 3 months Khao Pan Sar--the Rains Retreat--at a wat in Chonburi.

He is handsone, personable guy, about 35 years old.

After he had been at the Wat for a while, we--the Royal "We"--visited him at the wat.

His sister--my previous inamorata--and he babbled on for quite a while.

When we were in the car, his story unfolded.

At some point...he found himself popular with Those In Command at the wat and he was slotted into the Chanting Crew.

Weddings, funerals, Blessings etc etc.

He suddenly had READY CASH...on account of the unbridled benevolence of the supplicants.

Heady stuff for an Issarn guy, inured to lifelong poverty.

Several things flowed from this.

He finished up staying 3 YEARS..instead of the 3 months he effectively signed on for.

He had never made so much money EVER ..in his life.

I was so impressed at his new found business acumen that I gave him the money to purchase a lease hold over some temple land.

He was certain he would garner the boodle to build a modest house...if only the chanting continued.

As for the OPs question...How Much....he told me the monks were VERY happy with 300 baht for the foot soldiers..and 500 baht for the OIC.

"Tales from the Vienna Woods"...can't hold a candle to Thailand

I tend to agree with you, I think monks are some of the wealthiest people in Thailand. In our local temple they have all the mod cons in the monk's 'huts' such as flat screen TV's, internet, latest type phones etc. They never pay for food as they go around the village at 5/6pm for the locals to come out to give them food. At least one event every month at the temple where the villagers are expected to give money which they can't really afford. Only last week was the end of a 10 day period where a hundred monks came to the village temple and all the householders sent at least one person to give food and money every morning. A pretty good life me thinks.

There is good and bad habits in all religions but I can't think of one worse than Buddhism where so much money is given by those who are so poor themselves.

Real Monks should not expect money. This is why they walk around early morning to receive food related gifts. For some reason you also se them hanging around Panthip and checking out the latest laptops, iPhones etc. rolleyes.gif

You mean somewhere here there are "real monks"??

• Like 1

Excuse for me writing this, but it seems to me that you are just looking for an excuse not to give them any money.

It's of course up to you, just give them any amount which you think is adequate, or let your wife / gf deal with it.

No not looking for an excuse just asking for advice from those who have already done it, I certainly do not have lots of cash to throw at monks after buying the house etc so it's just common sense not to pay over the odds.

You mean somewhere here there are "real monks"??

I'm sure there are some, but I get your point.

The 1000/500 baht payout is ridiculous, in my opinion. People trying to buy merit and face at the same time. This is the sort of thing that attracts those to become Monks that should not be there.

Thankfully, my wife makes the decisions on things like this for us as she is the more knowledgable in regards to Thai traditions. I assume in our village we are considered affluent money wise and if there were any money chasing monks they may have been rubbing their hands together when they pulled up to our house. We had 9 monks and we gave each monk 40 baht, food and hospitality. We both agree that monks should not be pursuing monkhood for money. And if they are, they came to the wrong house.

Well for the more serious Buddhist it is also just symbolic. It is just wishing you luck. Not different than if I wish you luck. No magic that prevents some bad luck.

You are yourself responsible....but get started with some good vibrations....that is all.

The 1000/500 baht payout is ridiculous, in my opinion. People trying to buy merit and face at the same time. This is the sort of thing that attracts those to become Monks that should not be there.

Thankfully, my wife makes the decisions on things like this for us as she is the more knowledgable in regards to Thai traditions. I assume in our village we are considered affluent money wise and if there were any money chasing monks they may have been rubbing their hands together when they pulled up to our house. We had 9 monks and we gave each monk 40 baht, food and hospitality. We both agree that monks should not be pursuing monkhood for money. And if they are, they came to the wrong house.

As my wife and I see it: Most of the monks do it for money only. But you regard them for the clothes the wear or in other words for the idea behind it.

The real one won't be at the places where they can make money easily, they are in some less popular places. We were in Wat Po with my parents and one monk asked my mother for money, my wife witness it and she almost gave him the 5 fingers in the face and explained loud and in English so all the other tourists can hear it as well that this wasn't a real monk, just an imposer.

• Like 1

why would your wife say up to you on an issue like this? does she just totally abstain from all responsibility/human action? she is the one insisting that they come and should have a better idea of a proper donation than you do.

cos she's thai !

Spot on.

Up to you, but make sure you do the right thing.

We did the same for our house in Buriram and my wife put 1000 THB in the envelop for the head monk and 500 THB for the other monks. (In total we had 9 Monks), but we also gave them new robes and other gifts

You've also got to pay for all the food and drinks! BTW it's any ODD number of monks for happy events such as house warming, rememberance etc. (5,7 or 9 might do). EVEN numbers for deaths in the family.