Sound Problem When Playing Dvd In Windows Xp Pro Sp2

smo

Recently the sound coming from a DVD movie played by RoxioDVD player on my desktop became muffled... I switched to the same program on my laptop it sounded fine.

a) I reinstalled the audio driver on the desktop. That didn't help.

:o I uninstalled the Roxio program and installed another player: PowerDVD player. Problem remained.

c) Same problem when using Windows Media Player.

However, when I played a music CD (as opposed to a DVD movie) the sound came out fine.

My suspicion is that the problem is related to Codecs (? - whatever engine that allows the playing of MPEG-2?). So,

1) Am I correct?

2) Either yes or no, how do I go about fixing it?

Thank you all in advance for your input.

smo

FYI - The problem has occurred before. The first time I reinstalled the audio driver and that fixed it.

Yeah!

Like Crossy said, it can be Your DVD player!

Sometimes, it can be simple as if the DVD disk is Blue, Silver or Purple!

Some DVD player, may occur difficulties with that!

For what I know, Purple DVD disk is the best!

To eliminate the suspicious of a Codec problem, you can download the free codec pack at www.cole2k.net (Download the Standard Pack if You're not familiar with Codec's uses)

That's a safe pack and contains nearly all possible codecs!

Good chance!

Edited by CrazyFrog

Thanks for your advices, and here is what I did accordingly:

a) to make sure it's not a hardware problem, I hooked up an external DVD/CD rom player. Same problem, playing CDs sound ok, playing DVDs sound not ok. So it's not a hardware problem.

:o I downloaded Gspot. Only to be baffled as how to use it. What file needed to be opened?

c) I downloaded and ran the standard codec pack on cole2.uk. Did not seem to have any effect...

So what next ?

I have exactly the same problem, even if I use vlc (which has a codec built in).

I use my laptop at the moment and wait for the main computer for the next installation of Winxp and hope it solves the problem.

Thanks for your advices, and here is what I did accordingly:

a) to make sure it's not a hardware problem, I hooked up an external DVD/CD rom player. Same problem, playing CDs sound ok, playing DVDs sound not ok. So it's not a hardware problem.

:o I downloaded Gspot. Only to be baffled as how to use it. What file needed to be opened?

c) I downloaded and ran the standard codec pack on cole2.uk. Did not seem to have any effect...

So what next ?

I suffered a similar problem recently. In my case Windows Update offered a non-critical hardware update which was a new driver for my C-Media High Definition Audio Device. After installing that update my audio was mufled, and the right channel was pretty much lost.

I "rolled back" the driver and the problem as solved.

So take a look at Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Sound, Video & Game Controllers

Then look (double-click) at your "audio device", then click on the Driver tab. If it looks like a new (recent) driver was installed, then consider rolling back to the previous driver.

I'm surprised that many people have this problem with XP SP2!

I have the same system and no troubles at all with my DVD player!

I'm using a Aopen 2layer and everything's ok!

Like Lomatopo mentioned, the C-Media High Definition Audio Device can be the cause because I didn't install this driver!

It can be possible also that there's some informations about this problem on the website of your DVD player company.

If You didn't find the solution, give us some details about the model of DVD player you're using!

Look! I've found this on the web! Look at nearly middle page!

http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t36135.html

Edited by CrazyFrog

My system, a DELL Dimension 8400 tower, doesn't have the C-Media AC97 audio device (this device is for DELL laptops). It doesn't have the multi-media device either. Instead Device Manager shows the sound, video and game controllers listing as sub-categories: audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices, SoundMax integrated digital and video codecs.

I downloaded and ran the Unknown Device Identifier and the unknown device shown was Driver Vendor: Microsoft – PnPID: usb/unknown (in Device Manager, the unknown device appears under the SCSI and RAID controllers , it has been there all this time and I haven't bothered to figure it out yet.). As for the audio/video drivers, they all showed Driver Vendor: Microsoft - PnPID: ms_mmXXX.(XXX is different for each driver).

My DVD-CD player/writer is LiteOn DVDRW SOHW-1693S. But as I mentioned before I switched to an external player and the sound problem remained the same so I don't think the culprit is the player's hardware.

You know, that's very a strage problem if it's still not working!

Just by curiosity, the problem appear with just one DVD or all dvd's you're trying to play?

Do You have a particular Audio Card?

If so, can you find the driver for this card?

By experience, Microsoft Drivers with XP or XP SP2 or not good at all!

To get the best optimal quality for audio/video of your system, if You can find an original driver, but I'll be taking this option.

Like for my video card, MS detect and put his Driver made for it! I can say that never I'll be using MS Drivers if I have the choice!

If realy nothing's working properly about your DVD, try to update drivers, disable all of them, and start Enable One by One.

It can be possible that there's a conflict between 2 drivers even if XP saying that it's working properly!

That's what I'll be trying!

Here's the list of my Audio Driver (Cole2k not included)

**Audio Codecs**

imaapdp32.acm V4.00

msadp32.acm V4.00

msg711.acm V4.00

msgsm32.acm V4.00

tssoft32.acm V1.00

msg723.acm V1.02

Windows Media Audio Codec V4.02

Sipro Lab Telecom Audio Codec V3.02

Indeo audio software V2.05

Fraunhofer llS MPEG Layer-3 Codec V1.09(Advance)

MSN Messenger Audio Codec V4.00

Microsoft PCM Converter V5.00

**Legacy Audio Drivers**

**Legacy Video Capture Devices**

**Media Control Devices**

mciavi32.dll

mcicda.dll

mciqtz32.dll

mciseq.dll

mciwave.dll

**Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA® Audio Controller V5.10.0.5650**

**Standard Game Port v5.00**

**Video Codecs**

iccvid.dll

Indeo Video 5.10

ir32_32.dll

ir41_32.dll

iyuv_32.dll

Microsoft Windows Media Video 9 (I should update)

msh261

msh263

msrle32.dll

svvidc32.dll

msyuv.dll

tsbyuv.dll

You can take a chance also with this CODEC Pack!

http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

It's installed in my PC also!