Sugar Shortage

Sunderland

:D A reliable source informs me that there is a sugar shortage at the moment in supermarkets due to pressure by producers or farmers to force up the price. I don't buy the stuff so it doesn't affect me directly. Obviously anything with sugar in it will go up in price if this is the case.

Any interesting sugar shortage stories out there??? :o

There has been a severe shortage for more than a month and the reason is that it sells at a controlled price which is below international market price. So there is really no desire to sell locally if it can be exported for a higher price. The desire is to remove the artificial price; or at least increase it. A very hot potato politically and not the first time it has come up over the years.

:D A reliable source informs me that there is a sugar shortage at the moment in supermarkets due to pressure by producers or farmers to force up the price. I don't buy the stuff so it doesn't affect me directly. Obviously anything with sugar in it will go up in price if this is the case.

Any interesting sugar shortage stories out there??? :o

Have a look through this pdf from the ASX as to why there is a world shortage in sugar:

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20060124/pdf/3v573vv58shqt.pdf

Cheers YBB

Edit:

Poor crops in Thailand

Ethanol

Under investment

etc etc

Edited by Youbloodybeauty

There has been a severe shortage for more than a month and the reason is that it sells at a controlled price which is below international market price. So there is really no desire to sell locally if it can be exported for a higher price. The desire is to remove the artificial price; or at least increase it. A very hot potato politically and not the first time it has come up over the years.

Indeed.

This is the "real" Thaksin's economic miracle : subsidies, prices control.

Sugar, rice, gasoline, electricity, bus fares... the list is very long.

He thinks he's very clever, but actually he's buying time... And debt. And future high inflation.

This is the "real" Thaksin's economic miracle : subsidies, prices control.

Is that really the reason?

Sugar: Stocks and prices

(World Commodity Forecasts Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge) Even with a revival in Indias output, global supply of sugar will struggle to keep up with demand over the next couple of years. World stocks might look adequate, but there are operational shortages in India, China and the US. Russia was expected to start rebuilding stocks this year, but will not import more than immediate needs at current high prices. Even with the recent increase in the import quota, US stocks will not be fully restored. EU stocks are high after two big crops in succession, but will fall sharply over the next few years. Brazil's stocks will diminish as ethanol manufacture and exports both increase.

Prices have recently reached their highest level since early 1995, in response to prospects of sharply lower EU supply, increased ethanol demand in Brazil and poor cane harvests in Thailand and India. These factors have all come together at a time when speculators are taking an active interest in commodity markets, generating record volumes of trade on the New York and London exchanges.

Sugar prices will remain volatile over the next six to nine months

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/02/11/1363459.htm

YBB

Is that really the reason?

Yes.

Regarless of what the world price does, the Thai price is regulated and set below world prices. The shortage began partly due to the fact that rumours began circulating that the sugar price was about the be de-regulated given then governments inability to properly subsidise the price.

The greedy scumbags that they are, the producers began stockpiling the stuff in anticipation of the higher prices, when they could release their stocks on the market at a higher price.

I have suffered joint pain most of my life,somebody suggested leaving sugar out of my diet recently,now all the pain and aching has gone.Its truly amazing,I would recommend anyone to try it if they have joint problems.

A can of coke has 13 teaspoons of sugar,a bottle of ketchup is a 1/3 sugar,just for starters.