Loy Krathong: Revellers Urged To Stay Off Booze

webfact

Since the government has such extraordinary moral authority I am certain that all of the people of Thailand will heed this advice. Yinglick is such an exemplary example of how one's life should be lived. She is such a saint, has given so much of her fortune to the poor, and needy of Thailand, and has spent so much time with the poor people, that everyone will listed to what she has to say. The same could be said about the rest of the saints in the administration.

• Like 1

I feel that this is a very poor article......its the first time in the 6 years i have been in thailand that this 'news or warning' has appeared; ..here on K Samui there is always a well mannered party on the beach. Teens tend to over drink everywhere, taking advantage of girls who drink too much is not just a thai thing.... so its probably down to poor translation, or just a filler.... Surveys depend on what questions are asked to whom......and the answer from most young men to the question ... "..do you think young women are more likely to agree to sex when they have had a few drinks.? "..... will always be Yes !....so the 'warning 'is just a reminder about any party time.......My thai g/f confirms... no worse than any other time

Edited by metisdead
: Use Arial size 14 when posting.

I feel that this is a very poor article......its the first time in the 6 years i have been in thailand that this 'news or warning' has appeared; ..here on K Samui there is always a well mannered party on the beach. Teens tend to over drink everywhere, taking advantage of girls who drink too much is not just a thai thing.... so its probably down to poor translation, or just a filler.... Surveys depend on what questions are asked to whom......and the answer from most young men to the question ... "..do you think young women are more likely to agree to sex when they have had a few drinks.? "..... will always be Yes !....so the 'warning 'is just a reminder about any party time.......My thai g/f confirms... no worse than any other time

If you have been here for 6 years and this is the first time you have seen this warning

I would think you should read or watch the news more

Every holiday these types of warnings appear

I especially like the "do not drink and drive over Songkran"

Then everyone sits back and watches the daily death count on the roads

If you have been here for 6 years and this is the first time you have seen this warning

I would think you should read or watch the news more

Every holiday these types of warnings appear

I especially like the "do not drink and drive over Songkran"

Then everyone sits back and watches the daily death count on the roads

To be fair I've been here even longer and don't recall any similar warnings over Loy Krathong; Songkran yes, with good reason... it's a drunken race back to everyone's home province for a drunken piss up for a few days (or weeks depending where you are) and a national holiday, Loy Krathong isn't, most have to work and the younger Thais I talk to aren't remotely interested in the festival.

One of the biggest factors for death and injury during Songkran is that so many Thais work out of their province and head home for the festival, driving 100s of miles across the country. Mix drink with this and you have a recipe for disaster, christ most Thais driving 100s of miles sober as a nun is still a recipe for disaster.

Songkran = OTT water fights, drink/ drive accidents. Yes, spot on in my experience.

Loy Krathong = Rapes, drunken brawls etc. Certainly not in my experience.

• Like 1

When this woman said "people getting drunk to attract the opposite sex", I don't believe that's what she meant. I think she meant "people getting drunk to get themselves in the mood".

I teach a lot of Thai teenagers who tell me that Loy Krathong is traditionally the most famous night of the year for losing your virginity. That's where the subject of sex came from. If the two people are consenting, there's no problem. The problem is that the Ministry of Culture sticks its retrogessive, Victorian beak into anything fun and really should change its name to the Mary Whitehouse Experience.

• Like 1

When this woman said "people getting drunk to attract the opposite sex", I don't believe that's what she meant. I think she meant "people getting drunk to get themselves in the mood".

I teach a lot of Thai teenagers who tell me that Loy Krathong is traditionally the most famous night of the year for losing your virginity. That's where the subject of sex came from. If the two people are consenting, there's no problem. The problem is that the Ministry of Culture sticks its retrogessive, Victorian beak into anything fun and really should change its name to the Mary Whitehouse Experience.

I think this post pretty much sums up where this bizarre article was born from. Certainly Loy Krathong has always struck me as a very romantic festival; my wife & I return to the same spot each year where we celebrated Loy Krathong as young lovers, now as a family.

Of course Ministry of Culture sees romance = sex = taboo. The fact that all of us are a result of a sexual encounter seems to evade some!

People get drunk to attract members of the opposite sex?

Who writes this crap?

Thailand nowadays, Loi Krathong festival involves sexual activities rather than the maintenance of traditional virtues.[2] The Health Promotion Office, Ministry of Public Health, revealed the outcome of its research in November 2012 that, in each year, it is Loi Krathong festival which most gives rise to sexual intercourse among teenagers and more than 38% of Thai children risk being sexually abused during the festival, due to extensive rate of alcohol consumption on the festival night.[2] The Supreme Sangha Council, the highest administrative body of Thai monks, also revealed that many temples in Northeastern Thailand have usually allowed alcohol consumption and indecent displays in their precincts on the Loi Krathong night.[3]

Kelantan in Malaysia also celebrates the same celebration, especially in the Tumpat area. The ministry in charge of tourism in Malaysia recognises it as an attraction for tourists. Many people visit the celebration each year.

Too late! Just as I went home, walking across the market near my condo building, I heard, a chicken seller say: 'Hong nam.', perhaps meaning me. (I was wearing a business shirt and neat long pants, a bit like a foreign teacher.) Then I went past a tuk-tuk and the driver said: 'Falang go away', after a Western couple had just past. I went on to the internet cafe, which was almost empty, except for a dark-skinned Thai man in his early twenties, who mumbled : 'Mai khon, si dam...' when I entered. (I have a slight tan.) All this within 5 minutes from people who don't know me and have never seen me! - I guess those people have big problems (corrupt government, no education, bad food, etc.), so all they can do is drink, gamble and complain about foreigners...

Edited by 007

Too late! Just as I went home, walking across the market near my condo building, I heard, a chicken seller say: 'Hong nam.', perhaps meaning me. (I was wearing a business shirt and neat long pants, a bit like a foreign teacher.) Then I went past a tuk-tuk and the driver said: 'Falang go away', after a Western couple had just past. I went on to the internet cafe, which was almost empty, except for a dark-skinned Thai man in his early twenties, who mumbled : 'Mai khon, si dam...' when I entered. (I have a slight tan.) All this within 5 minutes from people who don't know me and have never seen me! - I guess those people have big problems (corrupt government, no education, bad food, etc.), so all they can do is drink, gamble and complain about foreigners...

I guess it's just your luck to be George Lazenby 007.

This never happens to the other fellas!

According to a recent survey, teenagers and young people choose to get drunk during Loy Krathong in order to attract members of the opposite sex and increase the opportunities for a sexual encounter.

Oh, I get it: the more you drink the better she looks. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

According to a recent survey, teenagers and young people choose to get drunk during Loy Krathong in order to attract members of the opposite sex and increase the opportunities for a sexual encounter.

Jose Cuervo, you are a friend of mine..... burp.gif

Tomorrow I'll check whob did not come to work and those who come a 'wee bit' later I'll ask if they had a good time wink.png

Edited by rubl

not that it matters but I survived Loy Katong without getting arrested, assaulted or even threatened whlile I was out on the town (patttaya). I was kinda disappointed that none of the things the wise men on ThaiVvisa warned would happen to me.

But no probs, I don't listen to the TV bullshit anymore. what a lot of wanke_rs (most) of you are...

• Like 1

Tomorrow I'll check whob did not come to work and those who come a 'wee bit' later I'll ask if they had a good time wink.png

shit, glad i don't work for you...