Thai And Their Watch

rics21

was drinking with my colleagues yesterday night, when one of the thai showed me his new Tag heuer aquaracer. I was quite amazed, by the fact that he was a fresh grad who just joined the company about a year ago.

I know that a lot of Thais love to show off their possessions for the sake of the “face” issue. There are countless watch fests going on all around the year. One will be held @ central world soon, I read.

Most of the Thais I know are watch collectors, from G-shocks to Rolexs.

P.S. Not many of them collect pateks.

Unlike most of the farangs I know here, don’t really care much about watches. have the long time farangs grew tired of the face issue?

Edited by rics21

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps the guy has just been to Chong Mek. whistling.gif ....................smile.png

It’s authentic, if I am not wrong - I do collect watches. There is the ceramic bezel on his aquaracer , most fakes don’t do ceramics.

Not true, bought a "Rolex DSSD" with a ceramic bezel.

The Thai lawyer who arranged the Chanoot on my house had a display case full of genuine Panerais, there must have been 20 or more, and another display case full of leather Panerai straps. The prices Thai lawyers charge, I wasn't surprised.

• Like 2

Perhaps the guy has just been to Chong Mek. whistling.gif ....................smile.png

It’s authentic, if I am not wrong - I do collect watches. There is the ceramic bezel on his aquaracer , most fakes don’t do ceramics.

But some do.

It's been a long time since I saw a fake Rolex. When I did it was obviously electric and the second hand moved in one second jerks. My two tone Jubilee is self winding and the second hand moves smoothly, so I don't know what's out there for fake or real Rolex now. At the time I knew the other was fake by the jerking second hand.

I bought mine about 25 years ago, recently sent it to the factory for a $600 rebuild which included a new movement (I thought that was really cheap) and never looked back. I don't know what the big deal is about a Rolex. I guess I did when I was younger.

• Like 1

I have spent the last 5 years in the Thai banking world, and you'd be amazed as to how much some of the VP's and presidents spends on time pieces. I realised after one week that showing off a time piece in this industry has developed into a war of fame.

Please not that I'm not talking small time stuff like Breitling and Rolexes, these guys wears watches in the >$100K range. And some of them owns an entire collection.

Crazy.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why Thais wear their expensive watches on their right hand? unsure.png

More chances of inadvertently flashing it.

Must be awkward adjusting time or using other functions with all the buttons on the wrong side. sad.png

adjusting time???? it isn't for reading the time it is to show the wealth.....

• Like 1

I think it quite important to point out that 98% of the general Thai population would probably not be able to spend frivolously on a knock-off.

Your average Thai will not make enough money in their whole lifetime to be able to buy one collector's Breitling, Tag, Rolex, whatever.

So when you say "Thai(s) and their watches". You're talking about a percentile of Thais so small and insignificant that it's not in any way a reflection of how the Thai population actually regard watches.

"Rich Asians and their watches" would have been infinitely more accurate in this case.

i think you should get out of surat and come to the big cities more often than u have been. there are countless watch fest held by central/ the mall in the recent years. you will be astonished by the crowds.

what i see is that it has been a trend in the central bangkok (office area in sathorn/ sukhumnvit/ etc.) of thais getting pseudo luxury watches, and their small eco cars.

Does anyone know why Thais wear their expensive watches on their right hand? unsure.png

Must be awkward adjusting time or using other functions with all the buttons on the wrong side. sad.png

adjusting time???? it isn't for reading the time it is to show the wealth.....

Here I was thinking they actually use the slide rule on their Breitling to make business calculations. :(

• Like 2

I don't like anything that is done just for "show", but owning some nice piece of art work that is functional is a different story. To me a watch is just something to tell me the time. If it is accurate within a few minutes each day then that is good enough. Most ladies watches are useless to me. They are too small to see the time and are just decorations like jewelry that has no functional use. I wear a small, man's watch that is inexpensive and keeps reasonable time. If it went missing then it would be no great loss, and I would just replace it. It is the same with my jewelry. I have no interest in real diamonds or precious stones.Maybe I'm just not a "real" woman.

On a similar topic, there is no need for an automobile that can go 300 kph if the roads and traffic are designed for under 100 kph. There is no need for a home with multiple bedrooms if only one person lives there. I've always owned expensive cameras, but they are just tools to me. It is like a carpenter and his tools. The good quality ones perform better and last longer.

Read any grown up car magazines or mens magazines anywhere in the world and it's full of expensive watch adverts. It's not specific to Thailand.

Most Farangs either come and live here because they aren't bothered by flash things or modern lifestyles , if they were they would be living in their first world country or come here for their younger trophy wives which leaves them unable to afford these watches if they ever could.

Maybe the Thai guy has worked out that if you are young and look rich you can attract young attractive rich girls.

• Like 1

I think it quite important to point out that 98% of the general Thai population would probably not be able to spend frivolously on a knock-off.

Your average Thai will not make enough money in their whole lifetime to be able to buy one collector's Breitling, Tag, Rolex, whatever.

So when you say "Thai(s) and their watches". You're talking about a percentile of Thais so small and insignificant that it's not in any way a reflection of how the Thai population actually regard watches.

"Rich Asians and their watches" would have been infinitely more accurate in this case.

i think you should get out of surat and come to the big cities more often than u have been. there are countless watch fest held by central/ the mall in the recent years. you will be astonished by the crowds.

what i see is that it has been a trend in the central bangkok (office area in sathorn/ sukhumnvit/ etc.) of thais getting pseudo luxury watches, and their small eco cars.

Bangkok does not represent the whole of Thailand and it's not surprising you have that BKK-centric view of Thailand.

Don't make assumptions on how much time I have spent in big cities in Thailand either. You don't know where I've lived, worked and travelled before the south, do you?

I spend my time between several provinces and large cities, not just Surat, all over southern Thailand seeing a vast array of real Thais from different social backgrounds. I also speak fluent Thai.

Crowds does not mean the ability to afford things nor does it mean that they are not getting the money, if they have it, by getting themselves into serious debt. Which is not being able to afford something in my book.

Out of ~70 million. 2% is still 1.4 million people you have left to apply your BKK-centric logic to.

I'd counter-argue that you should get out of Bangkok and see how the rest and the majority of the country actually live their lives.

If someone said to me as a Londoner, I represent the whole of the UK, I'd laugh in their face.

Edited by ManInSurat
  • Like 1

I'd say that most of my 'toys' are for me to look at and play with and if you're looking and think face issues are involved, you probably need to work out some personal issues for yourself.

smile.png

Agree with you.

It's no surprise that men's magazines are full of advertisement for expensive cars and watch. Both are objects that marry state of the art engineering and top design, something that generally appeal to men. So if you can afford it, why not ?

Somehow the factory or an authorized dealer can set the speed of a Rolex with an electronic machine. Even though the movement is old fashioned jeweled mechanical, they can somehow precisely set the speed of ticking and mine never gets out of time except maybe once a year. It's self winding so basically I never touch it. I don't even take it off to shower so it stays clean and shiny. True story.

I don't know about crystals. Mine is actually crystal. It does get tiny scratches. Every once in a while when I'm in the mall and near the dealer, they polish the whole thing for me for free. It always looks new.

I've had it so long I don't even notice it any more.