Weird And Wonderful Farms

GeorgeCooke

Hi Guys,

I was wondering whether you would be able to help me, I am currently researching a tv program for National Geographic title the Worlds Weirdest Farm's. We are going to be filming in Thailand in January, to cover a story and I was hoping you guys know of any really bizarre farms in Thailand, when I say bizarre, it could either be the type of animal, the way its farmed or what its used for.

We would love to film a shellac farm so if anyone knows of one that would be great. If anyone could think of any other suggestions that would be amazing as well.

Very best,

George

WAG TV

Interesting topic on a new doc. I guess farming will never be weird. I get the feeling national geo is looking for something in the extremes to attract viewers. Unfortunately i am still looking for that farm myself where they grow flying scorpions in order to let them battle each other in a glass cage and gamble on it.rolleyes.gif

Interesting topic on a new doc. I guess farming will never be weird. I get the feeling national geo is looking for something in the extremes to attract viewers. Unfortunately i am still looking for that farm myself where they grow flying scorpions in order to let them battle each other in a glass cage and gamble on it.rolleyes.gif

National Geographic tends to be on the tabloid side of documentaries so they will find something no doubt which will be entertaining rather than informative . You will find something George in Thailand no doubt .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only weird organization talents would think of holding special Chinese wheelbarrow races for carrying the less jumpy frogs as soon as possible to their end?

Ever heard of earthworm farms? At following 2009 location WAG TV may be capable of harvesting images of harvesting earthworms:

Earthworm farming is apparently more than harvesting them the old fashioned way by only lifting and looking underneath a stone.

While wishing success to the Op I must mention that I have been mucked about a few times by requests from film and TV companies for information and 'could I do this, could I organise that'. Only came to something once when I was a big TV star for two days. (dance troop).

Is anyone growing Guar bean in Thailand? Its making farmers rich in nearby India as the oil and gas fracking industry has a new and ever increasing demand for guar gum made from the plants. Demand will soar from $2 billion per year now to $200 billion in 8 years and 90% is now grown in India. There is an interesting CNN video on Guar=black gold here. http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/21/news/economy/epa-fracking/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Is anyone growing Guar bean in Thailand? Its making farmers rich in nearby India as the oil and gas fracking industry has a new and ever increasing demand for guar gum made from the plants. Demand will soar from $2 billion per year now to $200 billion in 8 years and 90% is now grown in India. There is an interesting CNN video on Guar=black gold here. http://money.cnn.com....html?iid=HP_LN

Interesting, I had never heard of this bean before.

I would guess that there would have to be processors/exporters in place as growing it would be no good if there is no-one to sell it to.

Yes, and the price is volatile as the oil companies try to find alternatives due to the rapid rise in guar bean prices from $1/Pound to $12/Pound. It sounds like guar powder is just ground up guar beans and not difficult to do. The oil and gas companies probably just buy the powder and mix it with their other chemicals on site before injecting it into the oil/gas wells being drilled. With fracking spreading to places like China, etc. new supply channels should be developing in producing countries probably by the same wholesalers in the ag and food processor businesses locally since it is even now used in ice cream. http://www.marketplace.org/topics/sustainability/how-fracking-affects-bean-grown-india

Farming is just risky business so diversification should help. Maybe those beans won't grow well in Thailand?