Pattaya Beginning To Earn Bad Reputation With Russian Tourists

Rimmer

Good work by the Russian Consul. Setting an example to all the other worthless ambassadors and consuls who should be doing the same for their people. I don't rate his chances of ever getting Thais to learn Russian though.

+1 At least he is sticking up for his fellow countrymen. Fat chance of receiving any meaningful assistance from the US Embassy/Consulate. US State Dept employees have two goals:

Immediate- collect a paycheck

Future- Collect a nice fat pension

Some WC Fields quotes are applicable here: "Go away kid, ya bother me..."

Good work if you can get it :)

• Like 2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past many nations have complained about the safety in Pattaya.

The Germans, The Dutch, the French, the Australian, just name one..........

Most Russians come on group-tours and it is pretty common that hotels ask for guests' passports in order to make a copy.

If a group tour arrives, they take the passports and return them the next morning or later that day. No problem what so ever.

Never heard of a passport being kept by a hotel, it is not necessary. Almost all will have a photocopied copy of your passport, which can be used to place you on an immigration watchlist if you skip out on the bill..... which if you do.... will be VERY expensive to settle later.

Pattaya is not only unsafe for Russians, it's unsafe even for Thais. The city is all about money and no matter how much is said it will not change until the people insist on it. Don't count on that happening any time soon. Even the highest in government will not touch Pattaya. It's unsafe for them also. Although in a different way.

Chickens coming home to roost is my take on this

And it will only get worse since these new Russian tourists refuse to accept how things are done here. You must be demanding and bellicose to get anything in the Russian Federation and that does not translate well here in Thailand

The Russian authorities would be better off launching an advertising campaign to educate the tourists instead of thinking that the Thais are going to do it for them

You are absolutely right! But not only the Russians though ;)

on Banglamung TV there are "7" russian chanels ! No translations for thai or other languages !

Russians want that Thais learn their language?

While they speak "only" russian ?

many russians dont understand why some people can't speak russian !

Other languages are something verry new to them .

• Like 1

Pattaya beginning to earn bad reputation with Russian tourists

Not sure why it's only "beginning" after reading so many stories for years now involving Russians as target dummies for all kinds of scams.

Does this put to rest the suggestion that the Russian mafia are alive and active in Pattaya?

If there was in fact any Russian mafia presence in Pattaya then why would their native tourists continue to be on the receiving end of so many scams?

Actually living 50% of the time in Jomtien, the ambassadors complaints seem OTT.

People do get robbed in Pattaya as they do everywhere, not on the scale this insinuates.

I am suprised they target Russians as most seem to have no money, just lie on the beach (where it is free), buy drink and food at the cheapest spots and eat in their room.

Occasionally!! Groups of drunken Russians are seen, just like any other nationality. These people will always be targets for the low end criminals.

• Like 1

Russians don' usually put gloves when dealing about any matter.

In this case at least, it gives an appropriate outcome compared to the general silent complacency of Western officials in LOS.

Will the message be received? Since money is at stake, maybe..

I read with interest however its all very well saying that some russians feel unsafe. In the last 7 yrs I wish I had 1 baht for every russian that has shown Thai people and westerners a totally ill mannered and arrogant attitude. If you behave that way in other countries you would probably get a beating.... so please dont blame Pattaya or the residents

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Have to agree 100%.

We see this in Jomtien all the time.

• Like 2

Taking peoples passports? I am sorry but this bit I don't understand? When did this become routine in Pattaya? That is just wrong.

The Embassy official is bang on. Nice to see a Country grow a pair and man up.

Who is next? Australia maybe, one of the Scandnavian's??

Australia ?? ya gotta be kidding They left an Aussie Tourist on the brink of death in Phuket a few months ago after he was an innocent victim of a road crash & his insurance wouldn't pay the hospital because he had hired a motorcycle.

Aussie public raised the funds to pay the bloodsuckers out & get him back to his home in New South Wales Luckily .

Aussie embassy quoted "we are keeping an eye on the situation & offering assistance where we can "

Edited by Ohio

on Banglamung TV there are "7" russian chanels ! No translations for thai or other languages !

Can't for the life of me understand what the hell you are raving about. One minute I am reading about the Russian Ambassador, next about Banglamung TV

How can Thai authorities instruct hotels to keep passports if it's a legal requirement for foreigners to carry them at all times. Is this actually true, or has it been mis-reported. If it's true, can the tourists be fined for not having their passports on them?

Yes, strictly speaking, could be fined. Anyone heard of it happening ? I've only ever had photocopies of passports taken by hotel reception staff. Very useful here : get a Thai driving licence if staying longer - it works as an ID-card with photo and one's passport No. on it - accepted by That police instead of passport - but it's at their discretion.

Chickens coming home to roost is my take on this

And it will only get worse since these new Russian tourists refuse to accept how things are done here. You must be demanding and bellicose to get anything in the Russian Federation and that does not translate well here in Thailand

The Russian authorities would be better off launching an advertising campaign to educate the tourists instead of thinking that the Thais are going to do it for them

You are absolutely right! But not only the Russians though ;)

I think that might work but not in the numbers needed to make a real difference

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Well, that's not true. In fact every body in Russia studies a foreign language at school, either English or German. Some study 2. But the teachers are bad (no native speakers in Russia) and kids forget everything once they finish school as they have no practice. After they grow up and have enough money to go to Pattaya, they can barely remember a couple of words in English.

• Like 1

Since Russians are the customer and thailand the sellors, yes it would appear right that they adapt to their customer base, in this case Thai's in tourist business selling to Russians learn some Russian.

There is a bit of the scam the insurance company and get a free holiday going on too from the ones who claim their gold was stolen, but never had any in the first place.

Do you know this for a fact or are you speculating?

Can't for the life of me understand what the hell you are raving about. One minute I am reading about the Russian Ambassador, next about Banglamung TV

He is telling you that the Russians are taking over pattaya.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I hope they find Pattaya horrendous and simply stop coming.

As a sweeping generalisation, I don't know anyone, be they business owner, expat or tourist who has a good word to say about them. They are uncouth, bad mannered, ignorant and the town would be better off if they could discover somewhere else or stay at home.

Very well said my friend.

coffee1.gif

The reason why so many Russians come to Thailand (and pattaya) is because their government has an agreement with Thailand to allow them. Russians are not as free to travel the world like many other western nations. But they are granted special access to Thailand.

This is why Russians are always granted 30 day entry at land boarder crossing and other western nations only 15 days.