Thai Man Killed In Suspected Tiger Attack

webfact

Thai man killed in suspected tiger attack

BANGKOK, Nov 30, 2012 (AFP) - A rubber tapper was mauled to death in a suspected tiger attack in southern Thailand, the second such incident in the area in recent years, a local official said Friday.

The footprints of an adult and young tiger were found near the scene where 44-year-old Hyaya Seng was found dead Thursday at the plantation in a mountainous area of Yala province near the border with Malaysia.

"The victim lost his head and suffered deep cuts to his stomach and scratches all over his body," deputy district chief Urupong Chanakul told AFP.

He said another suspected tiger attack took place in a nearby village last year.

Thailand, a hub of international smuggling, is one of just 13 countries hosting fragile tiger populations. Fewer than 300 tigers remain in the wild in Thailand, according to wildlife group WWF.

Rubber tappers in the deep south are also often targeted by suspected Muslim insurgents who sometimes behead their victims.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-11-30

What gets me is that the article seems to be saying that they are not sure whether it was a tiger or an insurgent. Surely, it is not rocket science determining which is to blame?

Well the best clue would be, if there was a relatively clean cut at the neckline. That would suggest the use of a machete and thus support the muslim insurgent theory. Then again, knowing our BiB, they may conclude that it was a machete-wielding muslim tiger.

What gets me is that the article seems to be saying that they are not sure whether it was a tiger or an insurgent. Surely, it is not rocket science determining which is to blame?

Well the best clue would be, if there was a relatively clean cut at the neckline. That would suggest the use of a machete and thus support the muslim insurgent theory. Then again, knowing our BiB, they may conclude that it was a machete-wielding muslim tiger.

No RPG. Must have been a tiger.

12 Posts and no one has shown any compassion to the victim here.. RIP Mr Hyaya Seng

Whoever or whatever is responsible lets hope its stopped or caught soon.

Nothing like a tragedy to bring out the knockers!!

Edited by Tafia
  • Like 2

a muslim tiger ???

If it was a tiger attack, it must be a muslim insurgent tiger, methinks

"The victim lost his head and suffered deep cuts to his stomach and scratches all over his body,"

"Rubber tappers in the deep south are also often targeted by suspected Muslim insurgents who sometimes behead their victims."

12 Posts and no one has shown any compassion to the victim here.. RIP Mr Hyaya Seng

You obviously don't understand the meaning of poor bugger. That's ok it's an Australian thing.
  • Like 1

Clearly another suicide.

• Like 2

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif so sorry as sad as this story may br this statement is hillarious .. sorry !!clap2.gif

Because ... Ah! Never mind ! Well ok you just did it for all of us .. Thanks!!

• Like 1

Brilliant piece of reporting (bah.gif ) - well if there are only 300 tigers left then that narrows the field as to whodunit... I still reckon the previous post is right. He had his head lopped off and was dead before the tigers made a meal of him. But I guess logic never comes into play where police investigation (or reporting) is required.

• Like 1

So, man eating tigers are on the loose.coffee1.gif

and just-in-time for the peak-season for tourist-visitors, luckily they don't visit that area so much, but perhaps it will give a boost to the adventure-holiday thrill-seeking segment of the market ? laugh.png

Brilliant piece of reporting (bah.gif ) - well if there are only 300 tigers left then that narrows the field as to whodunit... I still reckon the previous post is right. He had his head lopped off and was dead before the tigers made a meal of him. But I guess logic never comes into play where police investigation (or reporting) is required.

Again, we seem to basically agree. But if logic were applied, with only 300 tigers and perhaps 3000 muslim insurgents in the South, logic would dictate that insurgents are the most promising suspect pool. Besides, if by chance an insurgent were wrongly convicted, the consequences on the future of the planet would be statistically minimal, compared with the loss of one more tiger.

So, go after the insurgents, I say! ;)

"The victim lost his head and suffered deep cuts..."

Am I the only one who finds this turn of phrase very unfortunate?

I think it means he acted irrationally.

He sees a huge Tiger and instead of thinking 'I need to change my underwear as soon as I get in' he contemplates supper and a pair of tiger skin flip flops.

Then, and this is where the irrationality comes in, he started making the Thai equivalent of 'here kitty, kitty, kitty' at which the tiger warned him with a few scratches. Followed by the deep cuts.

Then again I could be wrong.

You see, there's the 'american' english to consider. Whereby, 'head' would take on a completely different meaning. For example, the man could have been installing a toilet, which the tiger made off with. hence, losing his 'head.' Or, and there is another possibility although on this family forum, especially in family orientated Pattaya, I don't really like to broach the meaning of 'head' in a sexual reference.

But there you go. that's life. Or, in this case death by tiger. Not an uncommon fact for many bar dwellers in Pattaya.

At least no animals were harmed in the slaying of one thai man whose family no doubt embrace it being his time.

Personally, I think it's about time we had another man bites dog story.

• Like 1