Aldhouse Back In Phuket

Lite Beer

From my understanding (news sources, books, documentaries etc.) I believe most Westerners in Thai prisons (or any prisoner with even the most basic of means) has servant prisoners to beckon at their finger-click.

He better be careful not to get fat due to being waited on hand and foot.

Edited by cbrer
  • Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about him getting too fat. Viktor Bout came in looking a bit like a chang noi. I'm sure he had a great deal more intellect, international connections and money.

At arrest: http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/775/beforee.jpg

Seemed a bit more svelte after the Thai hospitality

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/r1848214063.jpg/

I don't know about him getting too fat. Viktor Bout came in looking a bit like a chang noi. I'm sure he had a great deal more intellect, international connections and money.

At arrest: http://img836.images...775/beforee.jpg

Seemed a bit more svelte after the Thai hospitality

http://imageshack.us...1848214063.jpg/

Yep.

Unfortunately for Victor he had the reality of the World's biggest terrorist organization fighting to put him in a cell for 23 hours a day for the rest of his life.

But this thread is about Lee, not about a Russian fighting extradition to the land of the free.

This is getting sick. Some scum bag snuffs out the life of an innocent young man in his prime of life and you use laughing symbols to your own made up idea that he will be "cowering". You're only laughing at your own word, not mine. You seem to have some kind of semi-concealed respect for this man for reasons best known to you and others around you. I don't think for a minute that he will be cowering. Cowering is quite obviously not him, but why that should deserve any respect, I fail to understand.

The US had clout in Thailand…the Thais wish it had less.. but the fact is the US is a major export market for Thailand… maybe the biggest.. I am not googling for you… If the Thais do justice here to the satisfaction of the US (the murdered man was a US soldier), then they score points….influencing the legal system can take many forms, some more surreptitious than others.

A well built and alleged/admitted killer, trained and semi-pro muay Thai fighter, well experienced street-fighter, who obviously does everything to be the victor in his fights

Yeah, I'm sure he'll be cowering. cheesy.gif

Perhaps to understand you could stop with the selective editing of the posts, so you can see what it is really in response to...

Though perhaps this way is easier as you can still avoid answering the question you seem to be having difficulty with.

Perhaps to understand you could stop with the selective editing of the posts, so you can see what it is really in response to...

Though perhaps this way is easier as you can still avoid answering the question you seem to be having difficulty with.

One was the repeated answer to the question that you said I didn't answer. The other was the answer to your comment that I seemingly implied Aldhouse would be "cowering". Dashawn Longfellow's life has now tragically ended and his family devastated for the rest of their lives. And for what? So that Lee can further his respect as a hard man? Pathetic and no point in carrying on with this.

Edited by metisdead
: Font

One was the repeated answer to the question that you said I didn't answer.

Some posts must be missing or I must be blind.

As reading back on my computer you have not answered 'What do you think the US Embassy is planning to do?'.

The US embassy will be doing all they can do make sure that this killer is sentenced severely

Honestly, what do you think the US embassy is going to do to try and affect the severity of any sentence?

Edited by cbrer

It isn't just about Thai justice...and it never was. The US embassy will be doing all they can do make sure that this killer is sentenced severely for what he now admits doing. There might be a little sympathy for some 19 year old caught smuggling drugs.. but very little, if any, sympathy for this man from the UK or elsewhere. The Thais have nothing to gain from anything other than a severe sentence. Everyone will be happy with that, except Mr Lee Aldhouse, who's hard man lifestyle has now ended.

Where are you getting you information that the US embassy will do everything they can? Or you don't know and just making this stuff up. The US can not change the laws in Thailand, he will be prosecuted as per Thai laws, don't see the embassy getting involved. I'm in the US at this time for Christmas holidays and not a word of this on TV here so people in the US dont even know about this. So many posters on TV talk about things they dont know.

• Like 1

I think the US was only interested that he stand trial for the crime. That, they will get. I get no vibe that the embassy or the Govt is seeking any specific sentencing outcome. In the unlikely event the Thai court gives him 15-20 years, then I would guess that there were probably discussions in the background. The murder was on the news in the US at the time it happened. I have seen nothing since.

It isn't just about Thai justice...and it never was. The US embassy will be doing all they can do make sure that this killer is sentenced severely for what he now admits doing. There might be a little sympathy for some 19 year old caught smuggling drugs.. but very little, if any, sympathy for this man from the UK or elsewhere. The Thais have nothing to gain from anything other than a severe sentence. Everyone will be happy with that, except Mr Lee Aldhouse, who's hard man lifestyle has now ended.

Where are you getting you information that the US embassy will do everything they can? Or you don't know and just making this stuff up. The US can not change the laws in Thailand, he will be prosecuted as per Thai laws, don't see the embassy getting involved. I'm in the US at this time for Christmas holidays and not a word of this on TV here so people in the US dont even know about this. So many posters on TV talk about things they dont know.

Where are you getting your information that the US embassy will not being doing all they can? Or are you just making this up? Making an assumption? The other guy (with obvious sympathies for our hard man killer) seems to think he will get 2 - 3 years. I don't believe he will, although I have to admit that this case doesn't take up much of my time and I am no expert on the Thai justice system... therefore, what? ... I shouldn't post anything? My posts are balanced by responses and conflicting opinions... you don't have to say stuff like " ...just making this stuff up". No call for that. The sentence will be an arbitrary one, and I believe that as he is a US soldier, the US embassy will be seeking a heavy sentence. If you don't think that some of the US embassy in Bangkok get to at least piss in the same pot as members of the Thai judiciary or politicians who can have influence on them, then I think you are wrong. I never said that this was about the US changing the laws in Thailand. It is rather about having an influence on the arbitrary sentence that will be passed according to Thai law. Thailand is almost treading on thin ice with their massive exports to the US on the one hand and their protectionism on imports on the other. For that and many other reasons, the US is in a situation where they can bear pressure on Thailand to make sure that the killer of one of their soldiers receives a harsh sentence. I would be very surprised if the US does not have the will do to that in this case. You though seem to know different.

Edited by SPIKECM

I imagine the embassy people would love to see Aldhouse face a sentence similar to what he would face if tried for the same crime in the US but realistically, they know he can't get more than what is prescribed under Thai law....which isn't much apparently... or else it looks like the fix was in. If he was from some country other than the UK more hostile to the US, he would likely be screwed. I doubt the State Dept at the Washington level gives a rats arse and any efforts to see justice done have probably been led by the Congressional representatives from Dashawn's home state.

An earlier post from the PG says that premeditated murder gets you 15-20 in Thailand. I've also read here that the sentence is reduced by half for a confession but don't know if that's universally applied or not. i just think his lawyer claims a crime of passion committed in a drunken rage and gets 10-15 which is then halved and, with time served, results in actual time served after sentencing to 3-4 years. Hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by NovaBlue05

Where are you getting your information that the US embassy will not being doing all they can?

Now you're even leaving stuff off your own comments.

"The US embassy will be doing all they can do make sure that this killer is sentenced severely"

The other guy (with obvious sympathies for our hard man killer) seems to think he will get 2 - 3 years.

Is that 'other guy' me?

I've pointed out that Western murderers of other Western murderers in Thailand, including those who murdered Americans have received sentences ranging from 2-3 1/3 years.

I have absolutely no idea what sentence he will get, way too many factors to weigh up.

I believe that as he is a US soldier,

Was.

the US is in a situation where they can bear pressure on Thailand to make sure that the killer of one of their soldiers receives a harsh sentence.

The US (Embassy presumably?) bearing pressure a judge in a foreign, sovereign state in order to attempt to tell them what sort of sentence he should impose.... you must be joking.

Edited by cbrer

I imagine the embassy people would love to see Aldhouse face a sentence similar to what he would face if tried for the same crime in the US but realistically, they know he can't get more than what is prescribed under Thai law....which isn't much apparently... or else it looks like the fix was in. If he was from some country other than the UK more hostile to the US, he would likely be screwed. I doubt the State Dept at the Washington level gives a rats arse and any efforts to see justice done have probably been led by the Congressional representatives from Dashawn's home state.

An earlier post from the PG says that premeditated murder gets you 15-20 in Thailand. I've also read here that the sentence is reduced by half for a confession but don't know if that's universally applied or not. i just think his lawyer claims a crime of passion committed in a drunken rage and gets 10-15 which is then halved and, with time served, results in actual time served after sentencing to 3-4 years. Hope I'm wrong though.

In the UK, we can't get the (alleged) terrorist Abu Qatada extradited to Jordan to stand trial where he is a citizen of that country and yet the Thais managed to get a UK citizen extradited to Thailand within two years. I know not in the same circumstances, but would it not stand to reason here that this case wasn't just between Thailand and the UK? This was the first ever extradition of a UK citizen to Thailand....and the victim just happened to be an American citizen I think it is highly improbable that the US embassy has not been in collusion with the Thai justice system to make this a possibility. Even just assisting with legal advice.

Also, I believe that the UK only agreed to Lee Aldhouse's extradition on the understanding that there was no option of the death penalty. If this is so, would it not follow that the maximum sentence in Thai law is death for premeditated murder? If there isn't, how did they manage to convict and then execute Si Quey? All he did was pre meditated murder.

Edited by SPIKECM

Also, I believe that the UK only agreed to Lee Aldhouse's extradition on the understanding that there was no option of the death penalty. If this is so, would it not follow that the maximum sentence in Thai law is death for premeditated murder? If there isn't, how did they manage to convict and then execute Si Quey? All he did was pre meditated murder.

Bribery is a capital offense in Thailand...

If he had been wanted over a case of bribery the possible death sentence would have to have been removed.

Bribery is a capital offense in Thailand...

If he had been wanted over a case of bribery the possible death sentence would have to have been removed.

This answer was in relation to another post which questioned that the maximum sentence was 20 years. In relation to our discussion, it is quite probable that the US Embassy gave legal assistance to make sure that this technicality (removing possibility of death sentence) was dealt with. I would suspect that the US Embassy was also well involved, advising at all levels of the extradition proceedings. Nothing illegal about that and nothing to do with the US meddling with the Thai judicial system.

Wouldn't surprise me if the US did the legwork for the Thai Govt in terms of getting Aldhouse extradited because I do believe they wanted to make sure the guy at least stood trial and I doubt the Thai Govt would have pursued it particularly hard if it were up to them.

As far as the 20 year max, according to the below PG article from post #25, Premed murder is punishable by 1) Death or 2) 15-20 years imprisonment.

If I am the US & UK, I would be happy to see him put away for 20 years. I doubt his home country really wants him back out on their streets anytime soon.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/savepdf.php?ref=20121213232620&id=19628

Where are you getting your information that the US embassy will not being doing all they can? Or are you just making this up? Making an assumption? The other guy (with obvious sympathies for our hard man killer) seems to think he will get 2 - 3 years. I don't believe he will, although I have to admit that this case doesn't take up much of my time and I am no expert on the Thai justice system... therefore, what? ... I shouldn't post anything? My posts are balanced by responses and conflicting opinions... you don't have to say stuff like " ...just making this stuff up". No call for that. The sentence will be an arbitrary one, and I believe that as he is a US soldier, the US embassy will be seeking a heavy sentence. If you don't think that some of the US embassy in Bangkok get to at least piss in the same pot as members of the Thai judiciary or politicians who can have influence on them, then I think you are wrong. I never said that this was about the US changing the laws in Thailand. It is rather about having an influence on the arbitrary sentence that will be passed according to Thai law. Thailand is almost treading on thin ice with their massive exports to the US on the one hand and their protectionism on imports on the other. For that and many other reasons, the US is in a situation where they can bear pressure on Thailand to make sure that the killer of one of their soldiers receives a harsh sentence. I would be very surprised if the US does not have the will do to that in this case. You though seem to know different.

I'm not saying that you cant or shouldn't make comments, what I'm saying is some of your comments are off the wall. Example now you are saying that Thailand is on thin ice, where are you getting this? Can you provide a link about this situation? or is this something you are just making up again.

You make is sound like the US will threaten Thailand if the US does not get what they want. Do you really believe this? If so it really shows you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to politics. The US is not going to threaten to stop imports from Thailand. Do you even know anything about the US. The govt cant just say hey you didn't do what we wanted you to do so we are banning all export or some exports from your country. This is just talking out of your ass. It's not the US govt buying these products it's private companies and the govt cant tell a private company they cant buy from Thailand. The govt would need a far better reason to ban all imports from a country. Also you are talking about Thailand protectionism, again what are you talking about. The USA exports many products to Thailand so there is no protectionism going on. So again you are making comments that you have no idea what you are talking about. Sure the US will keep an eye on things, but they wont get involved. They aren't going to put pressure on a govt for a verdict they would like to have on a murder trail. If the US did try to put pressure on an outcome and it was found out that would blow up in the face of the US govt and you know the UK would claim foul. You are mixing politics with a murder trail.

• Like 1

You make is sound like the US will threaten Thailand if the US does not get what they want. Do you really believe this? If so it really shows you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to politics. The US is not going to threaten to stop imports from Thailand. Do you even know anything about the US. The govt cant just say hey you didn't do what we wanted you to do so we are banning all export or some exports from your country. This is just talking out of your ass. It's not the US govt buying these products it's private companies and the govt cant tell a private company they cant buy from Thailand. The govt would need a far better reason to ban all imports from a country. Also you are talking about Thailand protectionism, again what are you talking about. The USA exports many products to Thailand so there is no protectionism going on. So again you are making comments that you have no idea what you are talking about. Sure the US will keep an eye on things, but they wont get involved. They aren't going to put pressure on a govt for a verdict they would like to have on a murder trail. If the US did try to put pressure on an outcome and it was found out that would blow up in the face of the US govt and you know the UK would claim foul. You are mixing politics with a murder trail.

True. Remember that some people believe their country's own propaganda far too easily.

REPLY TO ERICTHAI

Where did I say that the US can change the laws in Thailand”?

Where did I say “Thailand was on thin ice”?

Where did I sound like “the US will threaten Thailand if the US does not get what they want”.

“Do you really believe this?”… what? Do I believe that what you say is what I said? Well no quite frankly!

“The US is not going to threaten to stop imports from Thailand”…. There you go again…and the crap carries on with more made up stuff that I supposedly said...….“The govt cant just say hey you didn't do what we wanted you to do so we are banning all export or some exports from your country. This is just talking out of your ass”... this is coming out of your ass..NOT MINE.

“the govt cant tell a private company they cant buy from Thailand”. Well you are right there for a refreshing change, but governments can influence buying behaviour by levying import duties... not that I am suggesting that this will happen as a result of a low sentence of Aldhouse (so don't misquote me), but Thailand always has been a shrewd operator in international relationships. They're as nice to rich countries as their tarts are to their punters. If Aldhouse can assist their relationship in any way with Uncle Sam, then I believe he will be used as such. Depends on how important Uncle Sam sees this. I really believe that the US will find a 2-3 years sentence for cold blooded murder insufficient protection for their military in postings and R&R breaks in Thailand. This would then be contrary to good relations with Thailand and possibly detrimental to the Thai economy. So, in this way, there will be surreptitious pressure for the courts to give Aldhouse a heavier sentence.

“Also you are talking about Thailand protectionism, again what are you talking about. The USA exports many products to Thailand so there is no protectionism going on”.

Well, if you knew what you were talking about, you would know that Thailand has 200% import duty on foreign cars for example and I believe a 280% import duty on wine. If that isn’t protectionism, then please define it, dear Knowledgeable One. The Thai economy presently depends on protectionism. It won't last forever, but they are happy to be on this uneven playing field for now.

“So again you are making comments that you have no idea what you are talking about”… The audacity!!

Bits that you make up ... “If the US did try to put pressure on an outcome and it was found out that would blow up in the face of the US govt and you know the UK would claim foul. You are mixing politics with a murder trail”…how do you “know” the UK government would claim foul?

Edited by SPIKECM

True. Remember that some people believe their country's own propaganda far too easily.

In western democracies, the majority do believe the Govt's propaganda otherwise the Govt would never survive

^ Yet you tell them that and it's hands over ears and stamp the ground in anger. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to Lee. I'm surprised there isn't photos and info from his prison life already. Anyone have any info. on his next court appearance?

^ Yet you tell them that and it's hands over ears and stamp the ground in anger. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, back to Lee. I'm surprised there isn't photos and info from his prison life already. Anyone have any info. on his next court appearance?

He was scheduled to appear today. He will appear by video from Phuket Prison, from what I've read. He must appear every 12 days while awaiting trail.

<snip>

You don't have to believe, it was in news articles that Thailand took the death penalty off the table when they first sought extradition.

^ Yet you tell them that and it's hands over ears and stamp the ground in anger. rolleyes.gif

He was scheduled to appear today. He will appear by video from Phuket Prison, from what I've read. He must appear every 12 days while awaiting trail.

Let me just check liveleak.com

Hope he wasn't delayed due to eating his fillet mignon. :D

You don't have to believe, it was in news articles that Thailand took the death penalty off the table when they first sought extradition.

Yes, part of the UK Extradition legal process.

Edited by cbrer

REPLY TO ERICTHAI

Where did I sound like “the US will threaten Thailand if the US does not get what they want”.

“Do you really believe this?”… what? Do I believe that what you say is what I said? Well no quite frankly!

“The US is not going to threaten to stop imports from Thailand”…. There you go again…and the crap carries on with more made up stuff that I supposedly said...….“The govt cant just say hey you didn't do what we wanted you to do so we are banning all export or some exports from your country. This is just talking out of your ass”... this is coming out of your ass..NOT MINE.

“the govt cant tell a private company they cant buy from Thailand”. Well you are right there for a refreshing change, but governments can influence buying behaviour by levying import duties... not that I am suggesting that this will happen as a result of a low sentence of Aldhouse (so don't misquote me), but Thailand always has been a shrewd operator in international relationships. They're as nice to rich countries as their tarts are to their punters. If Aldhouse can assist their relationship in any way with Uncle Sam, then I believe he will be used as such. Depends on how important Uncle Sam sees this. I really believe that the US will find a 2-3 years sentence for cold blooded murder insufficient protection for their military in postings and R&R breaks in Thailand. This would then be contrary to good relations with Thailand and possibly detrimental to the Thai economy. So, in this way, there will be surreptitious pressure for the courts to give Aldhouse a heavier sentence.

“Also you are talking about Thailand protectionism, again what are you talking about. The USA exports many products to Thailand so there is no protectionism going on”.

Well, if you knew what you were talking about, you would know that Thailand has 200% import duty on foreign cars for example and I believe a 280% import duty on wine. If that isn’t protectionism, then please define it, dear Knowledgeable One. The Thai economy presently depends on protectionism. It won't last forever, but they are happy to be on this uneven playing field for now.

“So again you are making comments that you have no idea what you are talking about”… The audacity!!

Bits that you make up ... “If the US did try to put pressure on an outcome and it was found out that would blow up in the face of the US govt and you know the UK would claim foul. You are mixing politics with a murder trail”…how do you “know” the UK government would claim foul?

Wow, so as soon as you write something you forget what you said. Let me quote you "Thailand is almost treading on thin ice with their massive exports to the US" so there you go that is what you said.

Again you are making comments without the facts. The duty on car imports is not 280% it starts I believe at 80% and goes up from there (there is also an excise and tariff tax added to this, believe it comes out to be about 120% to start). The tax is based on engine size the bigger the engine the higher the import duty. This has nothing to do with protectionism it was used to keep imports down to keep oil use and help with traffic problems but did not work. Same with wine and other alcohol the tax is high to discourage use. So this was not protectionism.

REPLY TO ERICTHAI

Wow, so as soon as you write something you forget what you said. Let me quote you "Thailand is almost treading on thin ice with their massive exports to the US" so there you go that is what you said.

Again you are making comments without the facts. The duty on car imports is not 280% it starts I believe at 80% and goes up from there (there is also an excise and tariff tax added to this, believe it comes out to be about 120% to start). The tax is based on engine size the bigger the engine the higher the import duty. This has nothing to do with protectionism it was used to keep imports down to keep oil use and help with traffic problems but did not work. Same with wine and other alcohol the tax is high to discourage use. So this was not protectionism.

You said I said, “Thailand was on thin ice”, when I said, "Thailand is almost treading on thin ice with their massive exports to the US". That is a misquote. If you are going to use quotes, then use the whole quotation, otherwise it is bad manners. I said imported cars are taxed at 200% as this is an approximation of the average tax. You said that I said 280% which is as a say bad manners to misquote me like this. The high tax (at least 120% by your admission) on imported cars is protectionism, but you call it what you like. Calling wine and other alcohol tax high to discourage use just doesn't stand up to the facts. Look at the alcohol content in a Beer Chang versus that in imported wine. The tax isn't proportionate to the alcohol content. A bottle of imported wine is expensive as it isn't made in Thailand, not for its alcohol content. Wait and see protectionism rear its ugly head with this Asean idea starts in earnest. That is going to be real fun to watch! But this is way off topic. Anyway, what happened to my last question?

Edited by SPIKECM