Cathay Probes ' Coffee Threat ' On Thaksin's Daughter

webfact

Cathay probes 'coffee threat' on Thaksin's daughter

HONG KONG, Dec 3, 2012 (AFP) - Cathay Pacific is probing reports a flight attendant threatened to throw coffee at ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra's daughter, after calling the politician an "enemy", the airline said Monday.

The attendant said she wanted to throw the drink at Paetongtarn, one of Thaksin's three children, after discovering her on board the flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong, according to Hong Kong's South China Morning Post paper.

"I immediately told my flight manager I could not work knowing the daughter of my enemy was on the plane," the attendant posted on Facebook, according to the newspaper.

"I called my personal adviser asking if it would be all right to throw coffee at Paetongtarn, but was told that this could breach Hong Kong's laws."

The long-running political crisis in Thailand recently saw its first major street protests against the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's younger sister, who is accused by her rivals of being a puppet for her fugitive brother.

Thaksin, ousted in a military coup in 2006, has been living abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption but makes regular visits to Hong Kong, the southern Chinese city where his family reportedly owns properties.

The Hong Kong flag carrier said they were investigating "allegations of misconduct" following the November 25 flight.

Reports also said the attendant posted a photo of the manifest for the flight Paetongtarn was on.

"Cathay Pacific regrets this unfortunate incident and wishes to assure all of our customers that their privacy -- and strict adherence to all privacy regulations -- is extremely important to us," a Cathay spokeswoman said.

The airline said the attendant -- which it declined to identify -- is cooperating in the investigation and "is currently not operating", but would not confirm whether she has been suspended from duty.

Thai media quoted Paetongtarn as saying on social media that she felt "uncomfortable" after the incident and that she was travelling to Hong Kong for a business trip and to see her father.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-12-03

related topic:

Thaksin's Daughter Paetongtarn Responds To Coffee Threat

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't we draw a distinction between violent acts and suppressed urges to commit them?

Perhaps the lesson is that living in luxury on stolen wealth has its drawbacks.

No, and in any case you have missed the point.The problem was not the thought but posting her deranged views on Facebook.Cathay Pacific have no choice but to fire the stupid girl.

• Like 1

The whole story is so ridiculous (and getting even better with this update), it makes me think if it's some black PR campaign pro- or contra-Cathay.

'Excuse me, would it be all right if I bottled that first-class passenger with some Lafite from the special reserve? Should I ask him first - maybe he prefers Bollinger? Why, darling, of course - go ahead..."

Can't we draw a distinction between violent acts and suppressed urges to commit them?

Well, the girl is obviously a dimwit. If she wanted to spill coffee on her, what on earth was she thinking that it would be ok to ask her supervisor? As if, whoever her supervisor might be (probably not a Thai person), gives a dam_n about her personal political issues. She is obviously desperately immature and stupid.

I can just see it now, her sitting murmuring to herself about her cruel plot, just as in a soap opera, and getting quite narky that someone had the temerity to tell her, "Uh, honey, you can't go and throw coffe on paying customers". I don't want to guess about her upbrining, but if she can't work out that this might, just get her into the tiniest bit of trouble professionally, then she is a complete ditz.

Of course, I can see it now, that if she gets fired, she will probably end up on Tv and become a bit of a celebrity. God knows how many arms dealers, drug pushers and dodgy characters she has served more than happily with a coffee in her time, but of course, she probably wouldn't have a view on that one.

Now, now my dear friend just think of what you have said. If by chance she had served many arms dealers, drug pushers and dodgy characters happily with coffee she absolutely would not have any objection of serving a member of the Shinawatra family. After all birds of a feather.................
  • Like 2

No, and in any case you have missed the point.The problem was not the thought but posting her deranged views on Facebook.Cathay Pacific have no choice but to fire the stupid girl.

Actually the main problem for her is a legal point,. She published a copy of the passenger manifest which for a number of reasons is clearly illegal and the airline can be sued for that.

Yep, I reckon it's a fair bet that she has more Cathay career behind her, than she has in front of her.

Actually the main problem for her is a legal point,. She published a copy of the passenger manifest which for a number of reasons is clearly illegal and the airline can be sued for that.

Point taken.Hopefully she will face criminal charges as well as dismissal.

• Like 1

Yep, I reckon it's a fair bet that she has more Cathay career behind her, than she has in front of her.

But I am sure a lot of companies will happily give her a good job.....people who actively fight corruption are liked by many companies....

Well, the girl is obviously a dimwit. If she wanted to spill coffee on her, what on earth was she thinking that it would be ok to ask her supervisor? As if, whoever her supervisor might be (probably not a Thai person), gives a dam_n about her personal political issues. She is obviously desperately immature and stupid.

I can just see it now, her sitting murmuring to herself about her cruel plot, just as in a soap opera, and getting quite narky that someone had the temerity to tell her, "Uh, honey, you can't go and throw coffe on paying customers". I don't want to guess about her upbrining, but if she can't work out that this might, just get her into the tiniest bit of trouble professionally, then she is a complete ditz.

Of course, I can see it now, that if she gets fired, she will probably end up on Tv and become a bit of a celebrity. God knows how many arms dealers, drug pushers and dodgy characters she has served more than happily with a coffee in her time, but of course, she probably wouldn't have a view on that one.

Now, now my dear friend just think of what you have said. If by chance she had served many arms dealers, drug pushers and dodgy characters happily with coffee she absolutely would not have any objection of serving a member of the Shinawatra family. After all birds of a feather.................

There are dozens of horrendous people in this country who she would wai without thinking for one milisecond how much corruption, wrong doing and law breaking they have commited.

• Like 2

But I am sure a lot of companies will happily give her a good job.....people who actively fight corruption are liked by many companies....

Oh yes, I am sure they are looking for air stewardesses who arbitrarily throw coffee on their clients because they don't agree with their politics.

• Like 1

I have more respect for Cathay Pacific's flight attendants now. Should have dropped something from the overhead bin on here also.

I suggest she should have studied a little harder and aspired to become part of the legal system in Thailand if she wanted do something useful.

She has besmirched her employer, and I hope they throw the book at her for her pathetic school girl antics. Would the response on here be quite to so applauding if she had said she couldn't stand someone from the other political party, and claimed she wanted to do the same thing? I don't want to do down air stewardesses, but she really has lived up to the trolley dolly opinion that many have of them.

I guess relatives of politically related families all over the world will be very glad to know that stewardesses on Cathay have such childish urges.

• Like 1

A truly bizarre comment.I have no doubt that she will find employment but any decent company would avoid taking on this profoundly stupid person.However let that pass.The ridiculous part of h90's post is the thought that by emptying coffee over Thaksin's daughter this might somehow be interpreted as a blow against corruption.Thai at Heart has brilliantly skewered this preposterous notion.In any case I'm not convinced that PAD loving middle class (often Sino-Thai) airheads are particularly shocked by corruption anyway.What they really loathe is that their comfortable status quo was unsettled by Thaksin, one of their own really.I'm not really sure that they are right about that anyway.Thaksin is a wily fellow but at heart deeply conservative and committed to the old ways.No, what this silly cow and her kind really hate Thaksin for is suggesting that the Thai majority might enjoy some rights equal to the pampered urban population, and should be respected not patronised and ignored.

• Like 2

A truly bizarre comment.I have no doubt that she will find employment but any decent company would avoid taking on this profoundly stupid person.However let that pass.The ridiculous part of h90's post is the thought that by emptying coffee over Thaksin's daughter this might somehow be interpreted as a blow against corruption.Thai at Heart has brilliantly skewered this preposterous notion.In any case I'm not convinced that PAD loving middle class (often Sino-Thai) airheads are particularly shocked by corruption anyway.What they really loathe is that their comfortable status quo was unsettled by Thaksin, one of their own really.I'm not really sure that they are right about that anyway.Thaksin is a wily fellow but at heart deeply conservative and committed to the old ways.No, what this silly cow and her kind really hate Thaksin for is suggesting that the Thai majority might enjoy some rights equal to the pampered urban population, and should be respected not patronised and ignored.

Pass the Thaksin brown-nose sick bag Alice. A contribution deserving double-strength expressos from the whole crew.

Edited by yoshiwara