Bangkok Bank Again

On my recent statement from this Bank I had an item for "annual ATM card fee" 200 baht debited, I have had a Bangkok Bank savings account 2 and a half years and never seen this item /charge before.I had to pay 200 bhat the card I was issued with, I tried to contact their 1333 service for customers , waited 10 minutes and gave up , emailed them 5 days ago with no reply as yet and I see today the internet bualang bank online service is down, Usual Thai customer service I know but I WILL not let them get away with charging me for something I have never previously had to pay.

Hi KKvampire, Yes I am afraid you have to pay bht 200 annual fee for ATM card,

This is a bank you are dealing with and NOTHING is for free !

All banks I believe levy this charge ,at least the 3 banks I deal with do.

Regards Worgeordie

Yes, there is an annual fee of 200 baht for a Bangkok Bank debit/ATM card. Expect all/most Thai banks charge such a fee...I quickly pulled up K-Bank fees since a lot of farangs seem to be with K-Bank and they also charge a 200 baht annual fee. The fact you never saw it in earlier years is simply because you didn't look close enough. I've been with Bangkok Bank for many years and they have always charged the fee. I just checked my account via internet banking and see they applied my annual 200 baht fee on 30 Nov. Check this Bangkok Bank Link for their fees...it shows the annual 200 baht fee for their debit/ATM cards.

Edited by Pib

Yes, there is an annual fee of 200 baht for a Bangkok Bank debit/ATM card. Expect all/most Thai banks charge such a fee...I quickly pulled up K-Bank fees since a lot of farangs seem to be with K-Bank and they also charge a 200 baht annual fee. The fact you never saw it in earlier years is simply because you didn't look close enough. I've been with Bangkok Bank for many years and they have always charged the fee. I just checked my account via internet banking and see they applied my annual 200 baht fee on 30 Nov. Check this Bangkok Bank Link for their fees...it shows the annual 200 baht fee for their debit/ATM cards.

Not true , they must have made an error before in not charging. But not surprised T.I.T. charge for using ATM card in anothet province, charge for ATM card at another Bank, charge for , charge for charge for, I guess they need to make more money other than the interest they make on holding a customers money in their bank, which other countries banks find sufficient

Not true , they must have made an error before in not charging. But not surprised T.I.T. charge for using ATM card in anothet province, charge for ATM card at another Bank, charge for , charge for charge for, I guess they need to make more money other than the interest they make on holding a customers money in their bank, which other countries banks find sufficient

You could switch banks...but after a while you would just end up repeating above statement about your new Thai bank. When it comes to the fee structure among Thai banks they are very similar.

Krungsri Bank ( Previously Bank of Ayudhya ) have an optional ALL ATM debit card ( black color).

Cost me about 480 Bahts for 3 years. Details on their web site.

I can use it everywhere in Thailand and any banks. No fee !

Very useful as I travel around the Thailand many times during the year and I do not worry anymore about fee using ATM outside my

province of residence.

Other countries? Interesting point on expecting the costs to be borne out of the interest margins.

If you took some of the US models for example, which often gets touted for low fees and free banking, dozens of banks go bankrupt each year. It's also worth a thought that perhaps if they charged a little more for the basic services like these, then that might have reduced the need to look for such leveraged and "innovative" transactions to compensate for no fee/ free/ low margins on the basic smaller stuff. In the west the margins are thin on the interest spreads, hence they get "creative" to compensate, and sometimes get in drastically wrong

I've no real objection for paying $7 a year for a card, given the service I get out of it. It also helps ensure that people who have an ATM card and use it a lot but have very little core deposits at the bank pay their fair share. If it comes out of interest margins alone, then people who rarely use an ATM but have higher balances end up subsidising people who use the card a lot but with small balances.

Best to pass on the costs to where they really arise, and keep it simple in Thailand. $7 isn't a lot when you consider cost of the card, admin behind it, convenience and so on. I'd like to think it also makes the Thai banks a little bit safer in that they can stick to the basics instead of the taking high risks and getting overly creative like some banks do in the west.

:)

• Like 1

Other countries? Interesting point on expecting the costs to be borne out of the interest margins.

If you took some of the US models for example, which often gets touted for low fees and free banking, dozens of banks go bankrupt each year. It's also worth a thought that perhaps if they charged a little more for the basic services like these, then that might have reduced the need to look for such leveraged and "innovative" transactions to compensate for no fee/ free/ low margins on the basic smaller stuff. In the west the margins are thin on the interest spreads, hence they get "creative" to compensate, and sometimes get in drastically wrong

I've no real objection for paying $7 a year for a card, given the service I get out of it. It also helps ensure that people who have an ATM card and use it a lot but have very little core deposits at the bank pay their fair share. If it comes out of interest margins alone, then people who rarely use an ATM but have higher balances end up subsidising people who use the card a lot but with small balances.

Best to pass on the costs to where they really arise, and keep it simple in Thailand. $7 isn't a lot when you consider cost of the card, admin behind it, convenience and so on. I'd like to think it also makes the Thai banks a little bit safer in that they can stick to the basics instead of the taking high risks and getting overly creative like some banks do in the west.

smile.png

Many false premises there dont know where to start, First , the card is paid for when you open the account, And I can tell you about Clearing Banks and Building societies in the UK , as they are called. There is no fee for the ATM or Debit card, indeed it can be an international Debit card , usuable on international transactions, which the Thai bank ATM cards are not.

Now you may well ask where the cost of the actual bank card comes from. Is it a fraction of a percent on Interest paid, NO I dont get interest on Current accounts so I suggest the Bank is bearing the cost, which Thai banks dont like to do on anything, be it card issuing or making a withdrawl with the SAME banks ATM in another province. Goodness know what the 20 bht charge that is for , Maybe just profiteering,, surely not?laugh.png

Edited by KKvampire

smile.png

Many false premises there dont know where to start, First , the card is paid for when you open the account, And I can tell you about Clearing Banks and Building societies in the UK , as they are called. There is no fee for the ATM or Debit card, indeed it can be an international Debit card , usuable on international transactions, which the Thai bank ATM cards are not.

Now you may well ask where the cost of the actual bank card comes from. Is it a fraction of a percent on Interest paid, NO I dont get interest on Current accounts so I suggest the Bank is bearing the cost, which Thai banks dont like to do on anything, be it card issuing or making a withdrawl with the SAME banks ATM in another province. Goodness know what the 20 bht charge that is for , Maybe just profiteering,, surely not?laugh.png

The UK's system of "free" banking is rather unique and Thailand is certainly not alone in charging for banking services. All banks are in the business of making profits - but I think you know that!

but I WILL not let them get away with charging me for something I have never previously had to pay.

Yes you will.

Usual forum bluster.

Usual Sarcasm from the same Nobodies

Not sarcastic at all. Quite literal, actually. They ARE definitely going to get away with it regardless of your bluster.

Do let us know when you've been refunded your B200. Also let us know of the other Thai banks w/ no-fee cards--similar cards--and how you've transferred your account to one of them.

smile.png

• Like 1

but I WILL not let them get away with charging me for something I have never previously had to pay.

Yes you will.

Usual forum bluster.

Usual Sarcasm from the same Nobodies

Not sarcastic at all. Quite literal, actually. They ARE definitely going to get away with it regardless of your bluster.

Do let us know when you've been refunded your B200. Also let us know of the other Thai banks w/ no-fee cards--similar cards--and how you've transferred your account to one of them.

smile.png

Clearly you use language you don't understand. "Bluster" meaning I have not intention of trying to get the money? I may not get it but making an effort is not "bluster" . So go and bluster somewhere else

smile.png

Clearly you use language you don't understand. "Bluster" meaning I have not intention of trying to get the money? I may not get it but making an effort is not "bluster" . So go and bluster somewhere else

bluster

1. talk in a loud, aggressive, or indignant way with little effect: you threaten and bluster, but won’t carry it through [with direct speech]: ‘I don’t care what he says,’ I blustered

http://oxforddiction...uster?q=bluster

Your threat is that you "WILL not let them get away with charging me"--note the aggression and indignation with the loud caps. And it will have no effect at all because they unquestionably will "get away with" charging their standard card fee; and you can't (despite "making an effort") and in fact won't do anything about it (such as moving your account to a new bank--that's all you can do, but what would be the point?) despite the bluster and sputtering.

Shoe fits, pal. But do bluster and sputter on as you please. smile.png Keep us informed as noted.

Edited by JSixpack

smile.png

Lot of counterarguments to what you say, but for $7 I won'tr push it :)

smile.png

bluster

1. talk in a loud, aggressive, or indignant way with little effect: you threaten and bluster, but won’t carry it through [with direct speech]: ‘I don’t care what he says,’ I blustered

http://oxforddiction...uster?q=bluster

Your threat is that you "WILL not let them get away with charging me"--note the aggression and indignation with the loud caps. And it will have no effect at all because they unquestionably will "get away with" charging their standard card fee; and you can't (despite "making an effort") and in fact won't do anything about it (such as moving your account to a new bank--that's all you can do, but what would be the point?) despite the bluster and sputtering.

Shoe fits, pal. But do bluster and sputter on as you please. smile.png Keep us informed as noted.

As JSixpack says your chances of a waiver on the ATM fee are very slim indeed. I see 2 main choices:

Smile and accept it smile.png

Bluster away and then be turned around before grudgingly taking it up the derriere. I suggest Collins-Robert French-English dictionary for that one smile.png

Banks don't make money on ATM cards. It's already been charged - gone.

Now credit cards on the other hand you'd have a chance. Banks make money on credit cards, many people here in Thailand threaten to cancel the card if the annual fee isn't waived. Banks will often do this on CC. Choose your battles and smile smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1