Internet Connection Today

LivinginKata

Oh well ... no replies. Thankfully our service is good again. Case closed .

If there are no replies then it could indicate that there are internet connectivity problems :)

I had some problems today but nothing major which did not fix itself within minutes. Fox example could not get to TV for an while. My CAT CMDA basestation is experiencing overheating problems this time of the year.

Perhaps coincidence, but my 3BB connection was also running extremely slowly (around dial-up speed) yesterday (4th) all day and late into the evening. It slolwy started to return to normal speeds around 10 pm last night. No idea why, but have noted that there are regular periods that 3BB seems to suffer the effects of too many users for its current infrastructure - though usually not to the extent of yeterday's performance.

Im at work in USA.

Got email from my home in Thiland she said no internet yesterday (Rawai 3bb 3-4th Dec) and today ic her messenger online/offline all the time,

so something going on with 3bb for sure...

We had a little problem when we were talking by Skype last night (USA, PST, afternoon ICT) as well. But we have two ISPs at our house in Rawai. So if one sucks, she switches to the other. 3 BB and KPP Rawai. My ATT in the USA always works...

I’ve been using tot for years and at 2 sides of patong and have found their service to be up and good 99% of the time. i use their billion modem/router as well. I’ve read many gripes about both so know there are problems but i've tred most other providers and found them wanting. i run a mail server 24/7 so outages are noted. i pay 1000b per month for 10mgb adsl. its great. Get about 1mgb download speed from international server’s which is plenty for YouTube TV and so on. I would just say i looked into tot fiber 2 u and warn you not to subscribe to this service at the moment. a 500b a month tot adsl service should be fine for most subscribers. Find a heavy tot user in your area and ask them about tot qos first and if you get positive feedback I’d say subscribe. Plus the tot ph line hook is $4 per month, great value. I don’t work for TOT.

Edited by manly100

I’ve been using tot for years and at 2 sides of patong and have found their service to be up and good 99% of the time. i use their billion modem/router as well. I’ve read many gripes about both so know there are problems but i've tred most other providers and found them wanting. i run a mail server 24/7 so outages are noted. i pay 1000b per month for 10mgb adsl. its great. Get about 1mgb download speed from international server’s which is plenty for YouTube TV and so on. I would just say i looked into tot fiber 2 u and warn you not to subscribe to this service at the moment. a 500b a month tot adsl service should be fine for most subscribers. Find a heavy tot user in your area and ask them about tot qos first and if you get positive feedback I’d say subscribe. Plus the tot ph line hook is $4 per month, great value. I don’t work for TOT.

I agree about Fibre 2 U as I had it for a while but realized it was pointless paying nearly 1,000 more than basic ADSL for the same speed. It started off fine with 10Mbps downloads & then on 7th October last year it went down to 1Mbps & lately it just got worse, even the reliability. TOT admitted that they only give 10% of advertised download speeds for international connections. I don't know where they think most of the servers are but the large majority are definitely not in Thailand. They also stated that on Phuket ADSL & fibre are on two separate lines but upon leaving Phuket they join into the same line. If they had a separate fibre line all the way to their international gateway it might be better but then again it all depends on how much bandwidth they buy.

Edited by Valentine

My connection is pretty bad at the moment (cat cmda). The 3rd hop is the time to the BS, which is normally about 100ms.

Round trip time to the local google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 should be around 130ms. In this case it's more than double.

Reseting the cmda connection helps for an while, but then the jam comes back again. Something wrong with the routing from Thailand to the rest of the word?

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1  10.1.1.1  7.114 ms  11.342 ms  15.988 ms
2  * * *
3  10.99.130.254  131.416 ms  142.359 ms  142.373 ms
4  10.99.7.198  188.276 ms  197.912 ms *
5  * * *
6  * * *
7  * * *
8  61.19.224.93  105.729 ms  110.536 ms  100.928 ms
9  202.47.247.193  110.304 ms  110.974 ms  110.929 ms
10  202.47.247.98  129.768 ms  108.438 ms  108.134 ms
11  61.19.10.5  109.171 ms  130.648 ms  130.541 ms
12  61.19.9.186  86.747 ms  336.743 ms  339.257 ms
13  61.19.9.186  306.974 ms * *
14  * 61.19.9.22  103.740 ms  301.647 ms
15  72.14.197.109  422.754 ms  422.753 ms  422.744 ms
16  64.233.175.207  422.746 ms  422.707 ms *
17  * * *
18  * * *
19  * * *
20  8.8.8.8  326.812 ms  204.702 ms  204.661 ms

My 3BB connection rubbish again today - any improvement with your connections LiK?

Noticed that our 3BB in Patong was slow yesterday in the afternoon. In Kata 3BB seems not so bad, TOT is poor. It's an expected problem with the influx of tourists for the high season.

Just done a speed test to San Francisco and I have a download speed of 4.65 Mbps. No problems with TOT in Chalong.

I used to have 3BB, but, they disconnected me and said that I was "too far" from one of their boxes. Went to TOT by necessity and wasn't very hopeful as I know their reputation.

Have had TOT for nearly two years now and speed has gone up over that time and I have only had one outage that I know of.

Just done a speed test to San Francisco and I have a download speed of 4.65 Mbps. No problems with TOT in Chalong.

Made the same test (TOT Chalong) right now to San Fran using Speakeasy tester. No wifi, dedicated lan to router. 0.78Mbps/0.20Mbps

Supposed to be 10Mbps/0.5Mbps

//update// even worse with Speedtest 0.27 down/0.17 up

Just beware that the ISPs hijack many of the speed tests giving you results that are totally unrelated to your actual speed. Speakeasy definitely has been hijacked as I just checked & had 18 to 19Mbps download from SF, LA, Seattle, Washington. My regular test site shows 0.54Mbps.

Just after 17.00 our one TOT and our two 3BB routers crapped out. Now using AIS aircard.

Interesting, this matches with this http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/602432-thipmaneecat-continued-service-failure/

For the past 7-10 days, we can't use the internet after 5-5:30pm every afternoon. IF the connection stays on, you can't get to google or yahoo search page -- much less any other site. And if you are lucky enough to get to one of those main sites, you will not be able to do anthing. For example, if you get to google, and type in a search term, you will be presented with a "cannot display the page" message. Reloads do nothing for you - because by the time you reload, you will have lost your connection.

and next reply

I am with TOT in Jomtien and having exactly the same problems that you describe! Internet is now unuseable

So could be ISP peer exchange which is behaving badly?

Do we have an IXP (Internet exchange point) here in Phuket or does all the traffic go via Bangkok?

<snip>

Do we have an IXP (Internet exchange point) here in Phuket or does all the traffic go via Bangkok?

I have no idea what that means biggrin.png

As far as I know Bangkok and Hat Yai are the internet 'nodes'. Maybe Singapore has a direct underwater cable. Maybe our guru Woody will enter this conversation.

<snip>

I have no idea what that means biggrin.png

As far as I know Bangkok and Hat Yai are the internet 'nodes'. Maybe Singapore has a direct underwater cable. Maybe our guru Woody will enter this conversation.

To be honest, that was not directed at you ;) but I'll promise to ask your knowledge when it comes to ordering quality whiskeys on the Internet :D

Bangkok and Hat Yai have gateways out of Thailand, but I wonder how the different operators within Thailand are connected. Where I come from we have have few locations with very powerful switches, where all the major ISP's are connected.

Last time I asked this, few years back, there was no common Internet exchange points in Thailand. ISP's were doing it each separately. Maybe things have changed since then.

Hmmm.........my TOT connection now tests at 5.05 Mbps download.

With this deterioration so wide-spread, I wonder why I haven't been affected.

Take your pick from the cities on this test site http://www.dslreport...eedtest?flash=1 & you should see some quite big discrepancies.

My TOT is getting worse - speakeasy 0.16 down / 0.15 up. speedtest.net much the same.

Tried your link Valentine - to San Fran. Looks like it can't even measure anything. Just gives up and declares an error.

Hmmm.........my TOT connection now tests at 5.05 Mbps download.

With this deterioration so wide-spread, I wonder why I haven't been affected.

Take your pick from the cities on this test site http://www.dslreport...eedtest?flash=1 & you should see some quite big discrepancies.

My TOT is getting worse - speakeasy 0.16 down / 0.15 up. speedtest.net much the same.

Tried your link Valentine - to San Fran. Looks like it can't even measure anything. Just gives up and declares an error.

I had trouble with it earlier but this link is the one Woody uses for his speed test reporting site so 1,000s of tests from Phuket to this site.