Do I Have To Pay For Entering Myanmar If I Cross The Border To Activate My Second Entry Visa To Thai

Do I have to pay for entering Myanmar if I cross the border to activate my second entry visa to Thailand?

I live in central Thailand. I have a double entry visa to Thailand which I got in Vientiane 2½ months ago.

I soon need to cross the border and come back to activate the second visa.

I could go to Ranong but I am also considering going to Chiang Mai and cross the border there and back again.

If I do that, do I have to pay to enter and/or leave Myanmar? Would I need to apply for a visa to Myanmar? How much would it all cost?

GoGet

I'm not entirely certain that you do it if you don't actually enter Myanmar. I think at the MaeSai border crossing you could get your passport stamped as leavingThailand at immigration office, but then before crossing the bridge and entering Myanmar you could go back through the booth, and back into Thailand, where you would get your passport stamped again to start your new visa. I know there isn't any set length of time that you have to be officially out of Thailand. It would certainly be worth a try and it could save you the 500 baht entry fee into Myanmar. Unless you have something specific you want to buy in one of the hundreds of markets, then there isn't much sense entering the country. I don't know why Thailand doesn't just simplify the program and save the money for Thailand.

I'm not entirely certain that you do it if you don't actually enter Myanmar. I think at the MaeSai border crossing you could get your passport stamped as leavingThailand at immigration office, but then before crossing the bridge and entering Myanmar you could go back through the booth, and back into Thailand, where you would get your passport stamped again to start your new visa. I know there isn't any set length of time that you have to be officially out of Thailand. It would certainly be worth a try and it could save you the 500 baht entry fee into Myanmar. Unless you have something specific you want to buy in one of the hundreds of markets, then there isn't much sense entering the country. I don't know why Thailand doesn't just simplify the program and save the money for Thailand.

that is not going to happen

Ok, it sounds like I most likely should expect to pay 500 THB to enter Myanmar then.

-Do I need to apply for a visa to Myanmar?

-What is the most convenient place to cross the border near Chiang Mai AND how much is the bus to get there?

GoGet

Edited by GoGet

Be careful what you wish for. Thailand is trying to prevent expats from living here permanently on multiple tourist visas. Someday they'll change the rule to one that forces you to be out of the country for 72 hours as many countries do.

Ok, it sounds like I most likely should expect to pay 500 THB to enter Myanmar then.

-What is the most convenient place to cross the border near Chiang Mai AND how much is the bus to get there?

GoGet

They usually accept a crisp, clean $10 note instead of 500 baht. Your choice.

Easiest place to enter Myanmar from CM is Mae Sai / Tachilek. Four hours by bus from CM. about 320 baht on a VIP bus from the new Arcade station. You'll need to book a couple of days in advance.

You get the Myanmar visa on arrival. No need to apply in advance.

GoGet

They usually accept a crisp, clean $10 note instead of 500 baht. Your choice.

Easiest place to enter Myanmar from CM is Mae Sai / Tachilek. Four hours by bus from CM. about 320 baht on a VIP bus from the new Arcade station. You'll need to book a couple of days in advance.

You get the Myanmar visa on arrival. No need to apply in advance.

320 THB one way or return?

Be careful what you wish for. Thailand is trying to prevent expats from living here permanently on multiple tourist visas. Someday they'll change the rule to one that forces you to be out of the country for 72 hours as many countries do.

Really,they welcome me with open arms every time I extend my TV here in Los ,it's big bucks in the coffers as far as I can see,and with all the uncertainty at present I see no relaxation of such immigration laws.

You will need to get the Myanmar stamp in order to get The Thai stamp.

Cost is 500 Baht to Myanmar immigration.

You have no need to enter just walk back to Thai Immigration with your passport fill in your arrival card. Job done.

If you do go to Mae Sai by bus you get off just at the entrance to town.

You will then need to get to the border by local bus. Plenty waiting for folks like you.

When I went by Bus from Chang Mai I stayed overnight It's quite a journey to do it in one day. even in a Taxi

It's not a pleasant journey by bus I wouldn't think but I've driven there and back in a day on several occasions. About 3 hours if you leave early in the morning so not really worth an overnight stay. Taxis in this part of Thailand are not particularly cheap though so if you aren't driving I guess a bus from the arcade is the best option. The minivans that do visa runs from Chiang Mai tend to stop off at a couple of hot springs on the way and turn a 3 hour journey into a 4 1/2 hour one so best to give them a miss.

• Like 1

GoGet

The border is about an hour from Chiang RAI. Buses leave every few minutes. Best bet is the green bus which also operates from Chiang Mai but it would be more like four hours from CM. Easy way would be to fly to CR and NOT Chiang Mai. NO you don't need a visa for burma unless you plan to try and stay for more than a few hours. The green bus from CR is about 50 baht one way. Regular slow buses even less. Don't know from CM...google green bus.

Not so sure about trying to come back into Thailand without getting properly processed by Mynamar? I suppose you could try it but frankly I wouldn't want to chance pissing them off over ten bucks. Have a new crispy USA ten and give to the Mynamar guy....apparently sometimes they will want 500 baht instead of US bucks but i have never had them refuse USA ten. Just hand it to them and don't ask. If you like you can either turn and immediately reenter thailand or you can do a little shopping on the burma side of the border.

Not so sure about trying to come back into Thailand without getting properly processed by Mynamar? I suppose you could try it but frankly I wouldn't want to chance pissing them off over ten bucks. Have a new crispy USA ten and give to the Mynamar guy....apparently sometimes they will want 500 baht instead of US bucks but i have never had them refuse USA ten. Just hand it to them and don't ask. If you like you can either turn and immediately reenter thailand or you can do a little shopping on the burma side of the border.

I tried that a few years ago on the "Friendship" Bridge at Nong Khai, figuring that as long as I went out of Thailand, it didn't matter that I was in limbo when I returned. Gave the immo guys on the bridge quite a laugh, and they sent me off to get the Laos stamp in my passport. Annoying to pay for that as I simply got the stamp, walked around the booth, and then exited, back to Thailand.

Strange but they accept and like that US$10 rather than 500 baht, considering exchange rates, but either will do.

many people get a day pass and go into burma for some market shopping,

after going through thai immigration walk over the bridge and there's a room on the right usually with a curtain accross the door,

pay the 500 baht or 10 $ if your lucky,

say to them i want to go shopping or no shopping if you want your passport handed back to you,

if you go into burma they keep hold of your passport and give you a receipt.

you can buy a return bus ticket if you go at 8 or 9 a.m you can get the 15:30 bus back to cm.

when you get into mai sai the bus station is a 10-15 min taxi to the border and cheap.

the bus has some vip seats at the front which are bigger etc and worth getting.

I don't know why people are so obsessed with using a $10 note. We are talking about saving 191 baht at current exchange rates - hardly worth the bother when you take into account the other expenses involved with making this trip from central Thailand.

Edited by inthepink

whistling.gif Usually yes, but it has nothing to do with Thailand or your Thai visa.

It's just that when you enter another country, you have to get a visa for that country. It's their country, and their laws.

IF you were close to the Malaysian border you could enter Malaysia...because for most European and U.S. citizens a entrance visa to Malaysia is free of charge...so entering Malaysia just to turn around and enter Thailand again would cost you nothimg.

Of course that won't do you any good if your living in northern Thailand, would it?

wink.png

I don't know why people are so obsessed with using a $10 note. We are talking about saving 191 baht at current exchange rates - hardly worth the bother when you take into account the other expenses involved with making this trip from central Thailand.

it makes a difference if you do the trip every 2 weeks.

as a percentage it's a big difference.

i think you'll find they will push for baht you may be ok with 10$ if you just hand it to them, maybe if your in the room alone you have a better chance but if the rooms full they will want baht from everyone .

i can't remember seeing any signs saying dollars,

i don't know what would happen if you only go over with dollars surely they would have to accept it ? or maybe take a bucket full of 1 baht coins ! see what they would prefer .

Sure, if you do it every two weeks then it's probably worth it but for every three months it's not something I would go out of my way to do. I don't think a bucket of 1 baht coins would go down all that well - maybe you can try that instead of me. :)

Edited by inthepink

I gave my Passport and a 500 Baht Bill to the Myanmar Immigration Officials at the Myawaddy side of the Friendship Bridge in the Mae Sot area. I left my Passport with them, and went to have Lunch for about an hour with a friend at a restaurant along side the Moei River. Went back and picked up my Passport with the Myawaddy Stamp in it and crossed back over the bridge into Thailand. Hassle Free on the Myanmar side. Went to the Thailand office and the Official asked me all kinds of questions as he checked my Passport. He stamped it and I walked forward to get a tuk-tuk. I just sat down when 2 Officials from the Immigration Office ran out and stopped my tuk-tuk. They demanded my Passport and began scrutinizing every page in it. They asked my friend in Thai if I was US Military or Police? They asked me why I went into Myanmar. What did I do? They finally found the page with my Retirement VISA with Multiple Entry Permit in my Passport. Then it was "Thank You, Sir for you cooperation!" Enjoy your stay in Thailand! I have no idea what that was all about, but I told them no problem because they were just doing their job and left on the tuk-tuk. blink.png

Incorrect, you must get the Myanmar. stamp in your passport - currently 500 baht to enter Myanmar - cheaper if you pay with US $

$10 always used by me no probem<as suggested i do not wave it front of others,but 191 baht pays for 3 very nice beef curries at Mae Sai Lotus foodcourt excellent quality off the muslim lady,also some samosa vendors around tessaban soi 5/7 behind Mandalay travel

Once new friendship bridge to Lao at Ban Pak Ing is finally open towards ban Huay Zai then day trip with own transport possible.A long day and probably better to overnight

Of course for most the $30-42 Lao visa is an extra plus big downside using 2 pages with Thai and Lao stamps

Driving fast withi the speed limits takes me 160 mins from Doi Sakhet if traffic clear vai P megrai,via Thoeng will be quicker once dual carriageway done.

No chance the 12.12.12 opening,may be a foto op as span done but customs booths and road incomplete

Edited by RubbaJohnny