Thais Hunt For Killer Tiger After Second Deadly Attack

Lite Beer

Thais hunt for killer tiger after second deadly attack

BANGKOK, Dec 4, 2012 (AFP) - Terrified Thai villagers were on Tuesday hunting a tiger suspected of killing two people in less than a week after a woman was mauled to death in a rubber plantation near the site of an earlier attack.

Pranee Mahasuk, 43, was slashed on the face and back in front of her husband as the pair tapped rubber shortly before midnight on Monday, said Urupong Chanakul, deputy chief of Betong district in Thailand's southern Yala province.

He said the woman's husband had tried to help her by shooting at the big cat, but had been forced to climb a tree for safety.

"He spent the whole night up the tree. He said the tiger came back to eat his wife after he shot at it, so he fired at it again and it ran off," Urupong told AFP.

Last week the footprints of an adult and young tiger were seen near where 44-year-old Hyaya Seng was found headless with deep scratches across his body at another plantation in Yala near the border with Malaysia.

"It is likely that the same tiger killed the victim last week," Urupong said, adding the latest incident was 10 kilometres (six miles) away from the previous one.

He said authorities and about 200 villagers had launched a search for the tiger, adding that the aim was to push the creature further into the remote mountainous border area rather than kill it.

Thailand, a hub of international wildlife smuggling, is one of just 13 countries hosting fragile tiger populations. Fewer than 300 tigers remain in the wild in Thailand, according to wildlife group WWF.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-12-04

Sorry for the victims and must be horrible to live in an area with a known human-killer prowling around.

However, I’ve always been a little surprised that there aren’t more stories like this from Thailand, either recent or historical. I know that the low tiger and leopard populations greatly reduce the chances of a man-eater compared to, say, the Sunderbans in Bangladesh, and that perhaps the lack of a hunter/author like Jim Corbett in India means that there isn’t much in the literature but it wasn’t that long ago that Thailand had a lot of forest and a lot of tigers.

The only other incident I can recall was an old tiger in Khao Yai that started breaking into kitchens about 15 years ago, plus a reference to a man-eating tiger in the book “Teak-Wallah” by Reginald Campbell. Or perhaps I just haven’t noticed other stories. Anybody know of any?

Girlfriend thinks rather than pushing it further into the jungle that the tiger should go to the zoo, as tigers have good memories in relation to where their best feeding grounds are... this one has tasted blood of humans and now knows wjere to find more.

+1

Poor Tigers. Like basically every other beautiful animal on this planet, their natural habitat has been all but destroyed by humans.... not to mention the hunting for skins and medicines.

Have you ever been in Thailand?

Huge tracts of jungle everywhere ..... plenty of natural habitat for tigers.

Poor Tigers. Like basically every other beautiful animal on this planet, their natural habitat has been all but destroyed by humans.... not to mention the hunting for skins and medicines.

While the death of an individual is always very sad, it saddens me even more to admit that as a species, we bring this kind of thing on ourselves.

You just can't help yourself can you?.....those dam_n pesky rubber-tappers. I suppose you consider it a real shame that the tiger didn't go up the tree for a second helping?

Edited by metisdead
: Itallic font removed.
  • Like 2

There is not enough habitable areas in Thailand to support it's previous-size tiger population ... and their habitat is diminishing more and more every year.

Does anyone know how to find the statistics on tiger attacks in Thailand? I just Googled without success. I am surprised to read in this thread that the seem to be so rare... but maybe the 300 or so tigers that remain do so because they keep their distance from humans. As a USArmy grunt in Khorat, 1971-72, I remember a news headliner of a tiger jumping from an overhanging limb and killing a Thai boatsman on a river here (not sure exactly where) That pretty much scared the .... out of me, or at least added a very big 'thrill' to idea of canoeing.

How about not tapping rubber in the night, which is the tiger's hunting time? How about some sympathy for the tigers, whose habitat has been stolen by humans? How about less rubber and more tigers?

whilst I share your sympathy for tigers, you must also acknowledge the right of poor farmers to go about their business in safety. Advocating the tapping of rubber during the day shows you don't have any understanding of the process of plantation management. The argument for more tigers and less rubber, whilst noble in sentiment, (though spurious in logic) is unlikely to find support.

At least your heart seems to be in the right place and I would hope for all of us that there is a useful solution.

Studies of tigers in Huay Kha Khaeng, part of the Western complex and probably Thailand's largest reserve of wild tigers show that tigers will not only keep well clear of human habitations but also avoid abandoned villages for decades after the last resident has left.

Man-eating tigers in Thailand are almost unheard of and attacks are always by sick and starving individuals who are unable to catch their normal prey, usually sambar deer or larger prey, e.g. bovines but there are very few wild banteng or gaur left.

This case is worrying because there might be an ailing mother with a cub. She may be training the cub to change its behaviour and treat humans as prey. If this is the case, they will probably both be shot or captured for zoos etc.

• Like 1

How about not tapping rubber in the night, which is the tiger's hunting time? How about some sympathy for the tigers, whose habitat has been stolen by humans? How about less rubber and more tigers?

Most rubber is tapped at night. That is when the rubber tree producs the most sap.

Sorry for anybody that gets hurt, but there are still 67 million people, and less then 300 tigers in Thailand.

So all and all I am on the tigers side.

So... until there are only 300 people left, you will support the tigers' entitlement to predate on humans? Edited by aboctok

jerk.gifjerk.gifjerk.gifjerk.gif Oye ...!! Really?? And so then why are there only about 300 tigers left...?? Duh...??

What that tiger allegedly did is nothing compared to what all those supposedly peace-loving Thais are doing to eachother on a daily basis. All you need to do is read the front page headlines of any local newspaper on any given day, especially the tabloids like "Khao Sod", "Daily News" or "Thai Rath".

As per me, I am siding with the tiger.