Stick To Rules In Thai Charter Rewrite, Court Warns

webfact

CONSTITUTION

Stick to rules in charter rewrite, court warns

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Constitution Court has called for parties concerned with rewriting the Constitution to comply strictly with provisions on amending the charter.

"Although the court has no direct involvement in charter change, proponents should abide by provisions on how to rewrite it," court secretary-general Chaowana Traimas said yesterday.

Chaowana warned that if proponents failed to heed the July judicial ruling on charter amendment, opponents might again petition for another judicial review.

He said he had no comments on the Bhokin Bhalakula report recommending the rewriting of the charter before holding a referendum vote.

Many see the report as deviating from the judicial ruling, which suggested a referendum ahead of the rewriting.

Pheu Thai MP Samart Kaewmechai said coalition leaders had planned to announce a push for charter change on December 10, coinciding with Constitution Day.

The coalition will launch an awareness campaign in order to explain the advancement of democracy through charter amendments, Samart said.

The awareness campaign will pave a way for Parliament to vote on the third and final reading of the bill on charter rewrite, which should take place within the upcoming House session, scheduled for December 15 to March, he said.

He said Parliament did not have to hold the referendum ahead of the rewriting because the high court's majority opinion in July was just a suggestion and not a verdict.

He said it made no sense to organise the referendum before the completion of the rewriting because voters would not be able to form a decision on what they were voting for or against.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said the coalition would not make a hasty push to rewrite the charter before the people could understand the rationale behind the change.

"Even though the coalition parties might [this month] decide to activate the charter rewrite, Pheu Thai would allow time for society to form a conclusion," he said.

The government is expected to complete a series of public dialogues on charter change by March but will extend the deadline if deemed necessary, he said.

Although the government is determined to amend the charter, it will proceed with caution to avoid increasing tension, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-05

I would say dear court stuck to the rules yourself, do not interfere with a democratic process although it is clear you are crooked and should have been purged after the Youtube videos appeared in which you were caught red handed doing monkey business like most judges do.

Serious question: could you please tell us about the YouTube videos you are referencing? Better yet, if they're still active, maybe you could post a link? I'm not sure I've seen them yet.

He said it made no sense to organise the referendum before the completion of the rewriting because voters would not be able to form a decision on what they were voting for or against.

Another way to say Thai people are to stupid to vote.blink.png

Hardly. They said the referendum would be called when the changes are known. Not after it has been enacted.

How do you vote on the changes until you know what the changes are?

Seems common sense to me.

I would say dear court stuck to the rules yourself, do not interfere with a democratic process although it is clear you are crooked and should have been purged after the Youtube videos appeared in which you were caught red handed doing monkey business like most judges do.

I wonder if you will have the same attitude when the red shirt leaders finally go to trial for terrorism. Talk about being caught red handed, videos galore of various defendants urging people to violence. If they are acquitted, it will be clear to all that threats can derail justice, and mob rule is the law of the land.

Hardly. They said the referendum would be called when the changes are known. Not after it has been enacted.

The CC ruling was that they could amend the constitution & then have a referendum. If they want to completely rewrite it, they must have a referendum first. That make perfect sense to me.

Having a referendum before the rewrite is asking the people do they really see any need for the rewrite. I suspect that PTP are worried that a 'no' vote could be the result as Thai constitutions are too often written to benefit the mob in power.

• Like 2

Window dressing anyway, for international consumption.

IMHO the result of a referendum will just reflect the results of the General Election.

Mind you, I'll keep an open mind and look out for people here trying to acquaint themselves with the facts. I would hate to think people were voting on such an important issue, while remaining ignorant of the potential dangers of such changes.

A presentation of "making Thailand good by getting rid of everything bad (and btw, getting the enormous bonus of the messiah's return)", will, I am sure, be all that the majority of less well educated people need.