How Many Times Can You Renew Visa? Problems Anyone?

So, let's say I don't have the funds or don't want to go thru the hassles and/or deceit for the bigdaddy visas. I make more than enough to live on VERY comfortably in TL, so let's say I get my 90 day and then I just border run every 30 days.

Has anyone ever been denied a renewel, assuming of course you "look good", have the funds, etc, etc.

If everything is in order, do they have any basis to not renew your visa if they see 10, 20, 30 visa stamps in yr book?

Just looking at my options...any help or advice appreciated.

Jacob

I don't remember anyone being denied entry, however there have been instances of the border chaps saying 'don't come back for another stamp'. Fixed by using a different crossing for the next few runs.

Honestly, it's not difficult or particularly expensive to get 2 or 3 entry tourist visas (Penang), reduces the hassle of constant border runs. 60 days per entry plus an additional 30 by visiting immigration (IIRC 1900 Baht).

I don't remember anyone being denied entry, however there have been instances of the border chaps saying 'don't come back for another stamp'. Fixed by using a different crossing for the next few runs.

Honestly, it's not difficult or particularly expensive to get 2 or 3 entry tourist visas (Penang), reduces the hassle of constant border runs. 60 days per entry plus an additional 30 by visiting immigration (IIRC 1900 Baht).

Thanks for responding. So, let me get this straight...I can come in on a Tourist Visa from the US and then go to Penang and obtain 2-3 60 day entry tourist visas all at once? Are they stamps in my book or paper visas that I hand to the border guys? Then you say I can get an extension for 30 days by visiting immigration, yes? So, after that do I repeat the Penang process?

If we end up deciding to stay in Thailand for many years, then I will come up with the USD$50k to get one of the 1 year visas.

Your help is very much appreciated!

-j-

Thanks for responding. So, let me get this straight...I can come in on a Tourist Visa from the US and then go to Penang and obtain 2-3 60 day entry tourist visas all at once? Are they stamps in my book or paper visas that I hand to the border guys? Then you say I can get an extension for 30 days by visiting immigration, yes? So, after that do I repeat the Penang process?

OK, it works like this:-

1. Visit Penang and get a 2 entry tourist visa.

2. Enter Thailand, you will get a 60 day entry stamp

3. Just before the 60 days is up, visit immigration and get an extension of 30 days (1900 Baht)

4. When the extension expires (before not after) do a run to the border. Exit Thailand, enter another country, exit other country, re-enter Thailand, you will get another 60 day entry (the second entry of your visa).

5. Just before the 60 days is up, visit immigration and get an extension of 30 days (1900 Baht)

6. At the end of your 30 days extension, repeat from '1'.

Easy eh :o

Two questions:

1. The only time I tried to get a 60 day tourist visa was last December in Jakarta. They required that I have an airline ticket out of Thailand which I didn't have. Does Penang also ask, or have you heard of them ever asking, for this?

2. I've since then just been doing 30 day Cambo visa runs (Jack Golf) and am a little surprised by how quickly my new 48 page passport is filling up with visas. With the full page Cambo visa sticker along with the Thai and Cambo entry and exit stamps, each 30 day visa run is taking up almost two pages. Anyway, I've never seen a 60 day tourist visa. Is it also a full page sticker or just a smaller stamp? (BTW, I know it's fairly easy to have pages added -- I've done it before, myself. I'm just trying to minimize my hassle which is why I got a 48 page instead of the standard 24 page passport.)

Penang will give 3 entries.

If a tourist visa is valid for 3 months (90) days, they would be issued on the same day and would expire all on the same day. Thailand does not have a multiple entry visa for tourism purposes,at least that is the information from the Sydney (Australia) consulate. How can a visa be issued at a date in the future

When I left Japan, I got a 90 day tourist visa. It was a little bit of a headache, because I had a one-way ticket, and I'm a freelance writer (meaning I had no employer to vouch for me or my income). However, even with all that I was able to get the tourist visa by showing print-outs of emails with fees and work shown.

If you go to a visa lawyer here in Thailand, they can set you up with a 1 year multiple entry B non-immigrant visa - provided you are headed to North America (you can't get this deal in Asia or Oceania, for whatever reason). The overall cost is around $200 US, and you still have to leave every 90 days, but it's one visa for a year, which is mighty comfortable (especially for someone who wants to, say, do a 40 day meditation retreat).

If a tourist visa is valid for 3 months (90) days, they would be issued on the same day and would expire all on the same day. Thailand does not have a multiple entry visa for tourism purposes

As earlier said, Penang issues three entries (i.e. multiple entries) tourist visas. You will be able to stay in Thailand for nine months with such a visa. Do an extension at immigration (30 days, 1900 baht) after each and every one of your 60 days entry permits are up (follow instructions given by Crossy).

The validity of the actual visa is always six months, not nine, but if you remember to do the third border run just BEFORE it expires, you will get another 60 days to stay (can be extended by another 30 days at immigration). 60 + 30 + 60 + 30 + 60 + 30 days in total.

Regards,

Bertil

If a tourist visa is valid for 3 months (90) days, they would be issued on the same day and would expire all on the same day. Thailand does not have a multiple entry visa for tourism purposes

As earlier said, Penang issues three entries (i.e. multiple entries) tourist visas. You will be able to stay in Thailand for nine months with such a visa. Do an extension at immigration (30 days, 1900 baht) after each and every one of your 60 days entry permits are up (follow instructions given by Crossy).

The validity of the actual visa is always six months, not nine, but if you remember to do the third border run just BEFORE it expires, you will get another 60 days to stay (can be extended by another 30 days at immigration). 60 + 30 + 60 + 30 + 60 + 30 days in total.

Regards,

Bertil

You are correct ,the LA (USA) Consulate will issue up to 4 TR visas max 6 months validity.The consulates in Aust. just do not mention this on their websites and may only be available to Australian citizens and persons who have permanent residence.

Penang will give 3 entries.

If a tourist visa is valid for 3 months (90) days, they would be issued on the same day and would expire all on the same day. Thailand does not have a multiple entry visa for tourism purposes,at least that is the information from the Sydney (Australia) consulate. How can a visa be issued at a date in the future

david96.............a single entry visa is issued with a 3 month validity in which to use that entry from the date of issue at the Thai Consulate/Embassy

A 2 or 3 entry tourist is issued with a 6 month validity to use the 2 or 3 entries printed on it..........6 months from date of issue again.

The 2-3 entry visa is not a multiple entry visa but rather a visa that is good for 2-3 entries printed upon it........sounds similar i know , but there is a difference.

As Bertil posted you just have to be careful in that you make the last exit/re-entry before the 6 month validity expires

thaiflyer1

one stamp 2 or 3 entries permitted valid for 6 months from date of issue.

regards

david96

I think the original question was how long one could renew tourist visas to visit Thailand, as most countries limit you and then one must leave the country for a min period eg 6 months.

Two questions:

1. The only time I tried to get a 60 day tourist visa was last December in Jakarta. They required that I have an airline ticket out of Thailand which I didn't have. Does Penang also ask, or have you heard of them ever asking, for this?

Does Penang ask for an airline ticket out of Thailand if your request a 3 entry tourist visa?

I think the original question was how long one could renew tourist visas to visit Thailand, as most countries limit you and then one must leave the country for a min period eg 6 months.

Question: What about Thailand? They allow this proces iinfinite?

Two questions:

Does Penang ask for an airline ticket out of Thailand if your request a 3 entry tourist visa?

Question: What about Thailand? They allow this proces iinfinite?

Penang does not ask for any flight details :o

Currently, you can get an infinite number of tourist visas and there is no requirement to be out of the country for longet than it takes to obtain the visa, of course this may change in the future.

Edited by Crossy