Thailand Ranked 8Th Most Dangerous Country, The Worst In S E Asia: Global Terrorism Index

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said he did not think incidents in the Muslim-majority South could be considered "terrorism" and that it was the media's fault for creating fear among the public. National Security Council secretary-general Lt-General Paradorn Pattanathabutr agreed, saying the degree of violence in the South could not be regarded as "terrorism".

Well then....Just <deleted> would you two jerkoff's call it then? Tell me.

Edited by sunshine51

Well if you cannot be the best, might as well strive for the worst.

I see opportunities here. Monorail high above the South for viewing. Large walls and gladiator type arena. Kind of like a hunger game on steroids. Thailand's got plenty of CCTV monitors. Just need monorail true amusement park feel and paramutual betting.

The bottom line is that the terrorism in the south has little effect on someone traveling through thailand. I consider some of the thai male youth to be far more dangerous. Fortunately so far, most of their nonsensical violence targets eachother. When, and if that changes, we will really have to watch out. For now Thailand remains quite safe, as long as you do not pay deposits to Thai people, and expect to get them back in the event of a change in plans. LOL.

• Like 1

"Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said he did not think incidents in the Muslim-majority South could be considered "terrorism" and that it was the media's fault for creating fear among the public. National Security Council secretary-general Lt-General Paradorn Pattanathabutr agreed, saying the degree of violence in the South could not be regarded as "terrorism".

Living in denial? Consistent incompetence that cuts across political parties and perhaps an over riding a fear of being honest and the unknown with a dash of xenophobic arrogance? It took some very brave people in Northern Ireland and the UK to make peace. It took some forward thinking people in South Africa to see that violence was not a solution and it took some slow and steady work to convince the Basques that their terrorism was a dead end. Perhaps, if the papers post some help wanted ads?

• Like 2

If it was an interview the Thai journalists should have queried the politicians definition of terrorism in the context of the report; (OP doesn't mention if response was quoted from a press release or an interview). As we know if a journalist challenges a statement during an interview they can be laying themselves open to a charge of libel/defamation. Minimal freedom of speech in Thailand thereby leading to shades of grey; there are 256 shades of grey!

• Like 2

A tourist hotspot!
  • Like 1

@ geriatrickid & nong38...

Thanks lads! There is a nice ring to "Living in denial in a tourist hotspot."

Sounds like a Jimmy Buffett song title.

Sadly I remember oh so well just how much of a tourist hotspot Narathiwat

used to be but those days are long gone save for a few "adventure tourista's"

who venture there on rare occasions. Yes...it takes very brave people to

solve the problems violence begat's and this country, at least at the top

level of government, is lacking those brave people...zero leaders...just

blind & stupid followers seeking unlimited pocket Baht.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said he did not think incidents in the Muslim-majority South could be considered "terrorism"

Gee Chalerm what do you call daily bomb attacks, killing military personell, police, and school teachers ambush style. Another day in paradise?

I'd say normal Thai activity to taking responsibility, shirk it.

Only a matter of time before the Islamists export this little feud further afield. When that happens the government will have to act. More paper dove drops perhaps?

Is it going to take something like the Twin Towers or the London bombings for Thailand to do something? Maybe even starting with shutting down their Mosques.

The article title is very misleading. "Most dangerous country" and "most prone to terrorist attacks" are not necessarily the same thing .... esp. given that terrorist attacks in Thailand are confined to one relatively small area in the south.

• Like 1

Abhisit was quick to label protesters as terrorists and now he is complaining about the terrorism ranking, it's caused partly by you giving undeserved labels to people in an attempt to excuse the murders by the army and try to justify your orders.

You sir, are obsessed.

Abhisit, however, reiterated that the ranking on the terrorism index was not good for Thailand's image.

What a shame he didn't think about that when he started labeling protestors as terrorists

To be fair when he said that the protesters were firing grenades at people.

A separatist (Islamic or not) who plants bombs that murder and maim indiscriminately, executes teachers, monks or anyone they don't like is a terrorist. That or scum, either term is applicable.

What do we call them if they are in uniform and have been engaged in systematic persecution of the local indigenous populus for decades with impunity?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

A separatist (Islamic or not) who plants bombs that murder and maim indiscriminately, executes teachers, monks or anyone they don't like is a terrorist. That or scum, either term is applicable.

They use bombs becaue they are not powerful enough to take on the state. The state kills them with impunity and it is know wonder they try and figh back. If the Buddist state kills them then killing buddists/ snitches/ would be one avenue of revenge. Personnally I am surprised they haven,t gone after the Western Tourists. That would also be a way to screw the state big time.

Spent the first half of 2012 in Afghanistan and the 2nd half off and on in Pakistan - apart from the tragic episodes in the South, the rest of Thailand is truly like a paradise in comparison.

Abhisit was quick to label protesters as terrorists and now he is complaining about the terrorism ranking, it's caused partly by you giving undeserved labels to people in an attempt to excuse the murders by the army and try to justify your orders.

Read the report and pay particular attention to where it describes the way the GTI is measured. Then you might recognize the absurdity of your post, which rivals the comments of Chalerm.

Edited by Baerboxer

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said he did not think incidents in the Muslim-majority South could be considered "terrorism"

Gee Chalerm what do you call daily bomb attacks, killing military personell, police, and school teachers ambush style. Another day in paradise?

Impossible for Chalerm to be wrong, he's in charge in the south, I expect things to be cleaned up in a few months.

What do we call them if they are in uniform and have been engaged in systematic persecution of the local indigenous populus for decades with impunity?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Communists, Stalinists, Maoists, Imperialists, Colonials, Facists - take your pick.

Only a matter of time before the Islamists export this little feud further afield. When that happens the government will have to act. More paper dove drops perhaps?

They are not 'Islamists' they are separatists.

Sounds like what is going on in Israel they are separatists not Islamists and many on Thai Visa support them. Do they support the separatists here or are they afraid to speak about it

They use bombs becaue they are not powerful enough to take on the state. The state kills them with impunity and it is know wonder they try and figh back. If the Buddist state kills them then killing buddists/ snitches/ would be one avenue of revenge. Personnally I am surprised they haven,t gone after the Western Tourists. That would also be a way to screw the state big time.

They are killed because they use violence to further their political and / or religious views. They choose to kill and maim indiscriminently and attack unarmed innocent people becasue they have a different view. Then, like most terrorists, they screem about human rights and being treated fairly if attacked themselves.

Anyone who takes to terrorism relinquishes the right to being treated as a human.

• Like 2

Is this surprising when sitting MPs are charged with terrorism, and were appointed because of their terrorist acts.

Because of or in spite of..... either or doesn't do anything for the countries image.

Innocent people being killed daily and you and the counttry are worried about the country's image. Perverted priorities.

Actually it is part of the routine for his family members to go around shooting people and indeed policemen. I am sure he does not see anything out of the ordinary.

Edited by 12DrinkMore