Is Khao Lak Dead?

grumpyoldman

Why on earth move Khao Lak to the Phuket Forum.

Because the number of traffic in the Khao Lak forum at the moment doesn't justify its own forum and part of the Phuket forum seems more logical than the Krabi forum.

• Like 1

Because the number of traffic in the Khao Lak forum at the moment doesn't justify its own forum and part of the Phuket forum seems more logical than the Krabi forum.

You have to start sometime and anyone who knows where Khao Lak is , is not going to look for information on a Phuket Forum.

Edited by Arandora

Covered that in my original post.

Currently a sub-forum of Krabi, but is farther away than Phuket and many visitors transit via PIA. Seems more logical as a Phuket sub-forum.

In your post you say MacDonalds is closing due to lack of business, hmmmmm.......

No where did I say turn it into another Phuket, in fact, I like Khao Lak for it's parks and beaches, was just curious as to how others see business there currently. Albeit, hopefully without false representation due to personal business interests.

Currently a sub-forum of Krabi, but is farther away than Phuket and many visitors transit via PIA. Seems more logical as a Phuket sub-forum.

In your post you say MacDonalds is closing due to lack of business, hmmmmm.......

No where did I say turn it into another Phuket, in fact, I like Khao Lak for it's parks and beaches, was just curious as to how others see business there currently. Albeit, hopefully without false representation due to personal business interests.

mcdonalds,there are restaurants everywhere you look,why would anyone eat at mcdonalds.thats why it is closing,

mcdonalds,there are restaurants everywhere you look,why would anyone eat at mcdonalds.thats why it is closing,

I don't eat there and wouldn't recommend it but there is a reason why they have sold billions of burgers. Is there a more successful restaurant franchise? My point, somewhat of an indicator, no?

I don't eat there and wouldn't recommend it but there is a reason why they have sold billions of burgers. Is there a more successful restaurant franchise? My point, somewhat of an indicator, no?

I think this indicates that in Khao Lak a lot of tourists spend much of their time in the resorts, also in the evenings. That is also why the streets (or mainly the street) don't seem to busy. It can be fully booked, but with everybody staying inside it can still seem quiet.

no,the restaurants are booming,dont believe me,come and take a look.low season here,is dire,mcdonalds need an all year round turnover,they do not get it.

I'm with you BT, the next 10 weeks are important for Khao Lak businesses and yes, I'm sure these weeks leading up to NY's will be the busiest and the restaurants there have some business. That McD's needs​ all year turnover as it's a massive corporation (???)...............I think more appropriately they see a bad business situation.

I'm with you BT, the next 10 weeks are important for Khao Lak businesses and yes, I'm sure these weeks leading up to NY's will be the busiest and the restaurants there have some business. That McD's needs​ all year turnover as it's a massive corporation (???)...............I think more appropriately they see a bad business situation.

they have a target to reach,they are not meeting the target. it is normally busy through to april,and then,80% of places close down or downscale.

"Currently a sub-forum of Krabi, but is farther away than Phuket and many visitors transit via PIA. Seems more logical as a Phuket sub-forum."

What has distance from either Krabi or Phuket got to do with it? Khao Lak is a resort in its own right with an appeal to different types of visitors. It is often twinned with either Krabi or Phuket for those who want a completely different experience. Frankly a sub-forum of Phuket is an insult to those in Khao Lak who are proud of its own identity. There are those who would love to subsume it under Phuket but that is more of an admission that Khao Lak is different to Phuket rather than like it.

And to suggest that the streets of Khao Lak are empty as are the restaurants because people stay in their resorts at night is laughable and indicates that there are more people replying on this thread with third hand misinformation than actual knowledge. Of course it's quieter - that's its appeal. No girlie bars, no discos, no night clubs. That's what many people, believe it or not, like. We've just returned from dinner in Bang Niang which is the smaller and usually less busy main place than Bang La On but all the restaurants were busy and last night in Bang La On there were plenty in the restaurants and on the streets. What you don't see if you are driving through are the number of people dining and having fun at the many simple beach restaurants that are more reminiscent of the Thailand that folks first experienced but have been replaced or have gone in other destinations. Perhaps instead of knocking it and making false assertions some people who have posted should come and see Khao Lak for themselves - but don't expect a Patong or an Ao Nang or a Chaweng, and long may it remain so!

My point about only 1 McDs in Khao Lak and that it closes early is due to lack of demand. Khao Lak doesn't need a McD or Starbucks or KFC on every corner unlike other places.

"Currently a sub-forum of Krabi, but is farther away than Phuket and many visitors transit via PIA. Seems more logical as a Phuket sub-forum."

What has distance from either Krabi or Phuket got to do with it? Khao Lak is a resort in its own right with an appeal to different types of visitors. It is often twinned with either Krabi or Phuket for those who want a completely different experience. Frankly a sub-forum of Phuket is an insult to those in Khao Lak who are proud of its own identity. There are those who would love to subsume it under Phuket but that is more of an admission that Khao Lak is different to Phuket rather than like it.

The point is that Khao Lak doesn't seem to generate enough interest/posts on TV to warrant its own forum, therefore it is always likely to be part of a bigger forum, in this case either Phuket or Krabi.

People are merely suggesting that it more logically belongs as part of the Phuket forum than the Krabi one.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

I understand that point that it may appear to be more convenient to put KL under Phuket but it it is chicken and egg. I think that unlike pre-Tsunami most people know that KL is not part of Phuket and, therefore, look to forums that acknowledge its existence in Phang Nga and in a separate forum for knowledgeable information. So unless a separate forum is started TV is less likely to be of value to those looking for info on KL. That is a pity in my view as TV is acknowledged as being one of the most comprehensive sources on "all things Thai" on the web.

However, the main question was is "Khao Lak dead?" (which is a rather unfortunate choice of words given its recent past) to which the categoric answer is "Absolutely not!"

Edited by Arandora

I understand that point that it may appear to be more convenient to put KL under Phuket but it it is chicken and egg. I think that unlike pre-Tsunami most people know that KL is not part of Phuket and, therefore, look to forums that acknowledge its existence in Phang Nga and in a separate forum for knowledgeable information. So unless a separate forum is started TV is less likely to be of value to those looking for info on KL. That is a pity in my view as TV is acknowledged as being one of the most comprehensive sources on "all things Thai" on the web.

However, the main question was is "Khao Lak dead?" (which is a rather unfortunate choice of words given its recent past) to which the categoric answer is "Absolutely not!"

Don't forget in this discussion that TV is an expat forum, not a tourist information forum.

Who cares???

"Don't forget in this discussion that TV is an expat forum, not a tourist information forum." - Ah, that's why there are Stickies at the top such as "Events, festivals, parties" and "Weather forecast Phuket" and "Tourist Police Contact Numbers" and "Hotels in Phuket"? Usually ex-pats are the source of reliable local tourist information. Didn't know you needed this for yourselves!

"Who cares????" - makes the point exactly, obviously no-one on Phuket!!!

Edited by Arandora

"Don't forget in this discussion that TV is an expat forum, not a tourist information forum." - Ah, that's why there are Stickies at the top such as "Events, festivals, parties" and "Weather forecast Phuket" and "Tourist Police Contact Numbers" and "Hotels in Phuket"? Usually ex-pats are the source of reliable local tourist information. Didn't know you needed this for yourselves!

You come with some very strange conclusions here.

Just questioning your statememt that the TV Phuket Forum is an ex-pats forum. Where does it say that? Perhaps if that's what visitors think that's the reason they don't post.

Anyway, since it has been confirmed that there is no intention of changing the current forum designations, that point is moot, and since it is just a Phuket ex-pats forum, as far as Khao Lak is concerned there is no added value in it.

Edited by Arandora

Just questioning your statememt that the TV Phuket Forum is an ex-pats forum. Where does it say that? Perhaps if that's what visitors think that's the reason they don't post.

Anyway, since it has been confirmed that there is no intention of changing the current forum designations, that point is moot, and since it is just a Phuket ex-pats forum, as far as Khao Lak is concerned there is no added value in it.

Again very strange conclusions.

Its a English language forum about Thailand and plenty of English speaking Thais read it

An answer to my question about the forum being an ex-pat forum would behelpful as that what my "very strange conclusions" were based on. Is that a straightforward enough question?

Most users of the forum are ex pats. Is that a straightforward enough answer?

An answer to my question about the forum being an ex-pat forum would behelpful as that what my "very strange conclusions" were based on. Is that a straightforward enough question?

No! You said " ... don't forget this is an ex-pats forum" now it is most users are expats. So which is it? If it's just an ex-pat talking shop why are the Stickies and questions travel i.e. tourist related?

Aw, forget it!!!

No! You said " ... don't forget this is an ex-pats forum" now it is most users are expats. So which is it? If it's just an ex-pat talking shop why are the Stickies and questions travel i.e. tourist related?

Aw, forget it!!!

Most users being ex pats makes it IMO an expat forum. Agree with you, forget it, there is no point anyway since for the moment the change you would like is not going to happen.