Gangnam Style Star Psy's Embarrassing Anti-American Past Comes Out

Jingthing

Thats fine, and although Im 37 I do believe in keeping the Christmas spirit alive and if that means believing Santas real, then yes I do.

There are three stages of man – He believes in Santa; he doesn’t believe in Santa; he is Santa. Obviously I'm at the 3rd stage. :)

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now just tell me why torturors should not be killed. The USA is doing it and it goes against all laws and conventions.

I don't understand the linkage of these two sentences (or the rest of the post that is more of the same). It seems odd to me that I have to provide a reason why murder is not OK. Suffice it to say that a couple of good reasons are "the rule of law" and proportionality of response. Anyone who seems to hold laws and conventions so dearly should understand and respect those concepts. Or how about two wrongs not making a right? And again with the implicit stance that if someone is breaking laws and conventions, that's a good reason to kill them...can you truly not see the contradiction there? Or what an odd justification that is?

You continue to aver with absolutely no substance that you alone see torture is wrong. It seems so strange to see someone on a moral high horse that is at the same time so adamant that murder should be sanctioned as punishment -- based sheerly on their own emotional response to a crime.

Edited for typos

Edited by SteeleJoe

Its radical to believe the USA is always right and has no ulterior motives.

Radical? It would be idiotic and ignorant to believe that. Have you seen anyone evincing anything even remotely similar to that belief here?

War is not black and white, and even good guys can do bad things like torture

I know this quite well -- perhaps better than many -- and you can't imagine how many times I've expressed those very things throughout my adult life.

Edited by SteeleJoe

A reminder that the topic was intended to be MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT related, not to inspire a discussion about whether Psy's previously expressed radical anti-American views were "correct" or not (we have already established they were understandable for a young South Korean). Now that he is internationally famous, he has greatly distanced himself from those views. Its funny how people's views change when great riches are involved.

Oops, didn't see this!

Well, you might agree that the person who writes the OP doesn't get to decide when and if the thread goes on a related tangent. And it would be a bit rich to see you of all folks objecting...but fair enough: it wasn't my idea to start talking about justifiable homicide and torture and I can see where it is not what one would think to see -- or want to -- in a thread about Gangam Style (though I think the song surely must violate the Geneva Convention as well).

A reminder that the topic was intended to be MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT related, not to inspire a discussion about whether Psy's previously expressed radical anti-American views were "correct" or not (we have already established they were understandable for a young South Korean). Now that he is internationally famous, he has greatly distanced himself from those views. Its funny how people's views change when great riches are involved.

Oops, didn't see this!

Well, you might agree that the person who writes the OP doesn't get to decide when and if the thread goes on a related tangent. And it would be a bit rich to see you of all folks objecting...but fair enough: it wasn't my idea to start talking about justifiable homicide and torture and I can see where it is not what one would think to see -- or want to -- in a thread about Gangam Style (though I think the song surely must violate the Geneva Convention as well).

I put the topic on farang pub about entertainment because you hear Gangnam style everywhere in Thailand now (and the world) and this is rather major news coming out about Psy. Of course I can't control how things go but I think you know political talk is for the news forums and bedlam, so just making it clear I had no intention to start a political discussion per se. Cheers. Edited by Jingthing

He is most likely a one hit wonder and we will never hear about him again.

100% Correct! This "Gangnam Style" is reminds me of the "Macarena" back in 1995-96. You couldn't go 30 minutes without hearing that song somewhere!

Five years after that you couldn't find anyone who could even tell you who sang the song! Same with this PSYco.

Oops, didn't see this!

I put the topic on farang pub about entertainment because you hear Gangnam style everywhere in Thailand now (and the world) and this is rather major news coming out about Psy. Of course I can't control how things go but I think you know political talk is for the news forums and bedlam, so just making it clear I had no intention to start a political discussion per se. Cheers.

No you can't control it and I personally think that even wanting to (unless you're a mod) would be a violation of what good forums are about

To be totally honest, I post wherever I see something that inspires a response -- serious or lighthearted -- without ever looking at what forum it's in (sometimes I can't even tell on the Ipad app) and I'm totally ignorant about what is or isn't supposed to be posted where. (Mind you it weren't me who brought up the serious stuff).

Anyway, point taken. My apologies.

100% Correct! This "Gangnam Style" is reminds me of the "Macarena" back in 1995-96. You couldn't go 30 minutes without hearing that song somewhere!

Five years after that you couldn't find anyone who could even tell you who sang the song! Same with this PSYco.

Ha! I couldn't even remember it when I was trying to find something to compare Gangam Style to.. .

Now just tell me why torturors should not be killed. The USA is doing it and it goes against all laws and conventions.

I don't understand the linkage of these two sentences (or the rest of the post that is more of the same). It seems odd to me that I have to provide a reason why murder is not OK. Suffice it to say that a couple of good reasons are "the rule of law" and proportionality of response. Anyone who seems to hold laws and conventions so dearly should understand and respect those concepts. Or how about two wrongs not making a right? And again with the implicit stance that if someone is breaking laws and conventions, that's a good reason to kill them...can you truly not see the contradiction there? Or what an odd justification that is?

You continue to aver with absolutely no substance that you alone see torture is wrong. It seems so strange to see someone on a moral high horse that is at the same time so adamant that murder should be sanctioned as punishment -- based sheerly on their own emotional response to a crime.

Edited for typos

Murder is of course wrong, i rather had it that they did not torture. I prefer them get killed ( they are soldiers after all) then to get of with no punishment.

Best would be if they were put on trial and convicted, but that won't happen. I just don't think his views are that extreme only the part of the families goes too far.

I myself would prefer a trial or better yet no torture. I just responded here because some people don't seem to get it that the USA brings a lot of these things on themselves.

Extreme views in my opinion are those that advocate the death of american civilians and such.

Not these things that are a response to faults of the USA.

I prefer the USA over their enemies but like i said not at all cost.

This is my last post about it not because of JT as he is no mod though he tries to control things but just because i don't like these kind of discussions. Its too hard to really express it right. Plus in the end nobody will change his views anyway.

Ahh, the Macarena.

In the end, when I heard it, I was wondering if I should kill myself or the DJ whom played it.

Luckily it passed.

• Like 1

Ahh, the Macarena.

In the end, when I heard it, I was wondering if I should kill myself or the DJ whom played it.

Luckily it passed.

Oh, no, it's back!

I put the topic on farang pub about entertainment because you hear Gangnam style everywhere in Thailand now (and the world) and this is rather major news coming out about Psy. Of course I can't control how things go but I think you know political talk is for the news forums and bedlam, so just making it clear I had no intention to start a political discussion per se. Cheers.

The question is, why would his anti-American views harm his popularity?

Most of the world has anti-American views, so it's likely to make him more popular.

Most of the world has anti-American views, so it's likely to make him more popular.

That may be true but it really was a pipe dream for a Korean pop musician to become a superstar in the USA market, and Psy has done that, so this certainly is embarrassing to him in the context of the very important commercial USA market.

Rubbish Jingthing. You need to read YOUR original post. Nothing there about musical entertainment. Perhaps you were trolling?

Rubbish Jingthing. You need to read YOUR original post. Nothing there about musical entertainment. Perhaps you were trolling?

If you think so, feel liberated to report the thread. I would hardly be bothered (rather the opposite) if it was closed. Cheers. Edited by Jingthing

I don't think it would have any effect whatsoever.

We have seen it too many times.

Money is number one.

Faith, politics, ethics, etc, will ALWAYS take the back seat.

Too many people are involved in the process of making the money.

Religion is make belief, and politics is a game for people who can afford it.

I know, this is borderline trolling, but it felt good.

Do you really think that any of a large portion of people with anti-American views will appreciably like him more? I doubt it. (Don't think his singles will start selling better among the Pashtuns of Waziristan for example).

Especially with this sort of comment:

“As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world.”

“The song in question — from eight years ago — was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time. While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one’s self I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused anyone by those words.”

“I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months — including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them — and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that though music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology.”

Some will like him more. Some will like him less. At the end of the day, I don't think hr will matter to anyone for much longer.

Edited by SteeleJoe

He already had a big career in Korea and the international markets that follow K-pop. However as far as new K-pop markets like the U.S., how can he follow Gangnam? Pretty much impossible.

Agree, this is a flash in the pan hit.

I would be very impressed and take of my hat and make a bow if he manage to follow this one up.

I will be tempted to buy his albums........................not.

I have a lot of beef with the USA about many things, torture only being one of them.

But to wish for the painful dead of soldiers and their family is just plain stupid and in-humane.

And even if he was younger than: I guess even at the age of 12, you know, that this is not a nice thing to do.

But in the end, he created Gangnam Style...and what could be worse than that, even on a scale of torture?!

wai2.gif

UPDATE: The performance (rap*) was inspired by the recent death of two Korean school girls who were run over by an American tank in South Korea.

(rap*) = my edit

Uhhmm...how is that an update? I believe that was on the first page and certainly it's been in the news all along.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I have a lot of beef with the USA about many things, torture only being one of them.

But to wish for the painful dead of soldiers and their family is just plain stupid and in-humane.

And even if he was younger than: I guess even at the age of 12, you know, that this is not a nice thing to do.

But in the end, he created Gangnam Style...and what could be worse than that, even on a scale of torture?!

wai2.gif

We must not forget this is a lyric translated from Korean into English, and without any regards to cultural interpretation of the words either.

To think for a second that the artists really would like to have the soldiers families killed, is a bit naive.

Here's some thoughtful cultural context about South Korean anti-Americanism:

http://www.washingto...nt-surprise-you

Americans don’t hear much about these anti-American protests in South Korea. It’s a strong American ally, after all; a liberal free market democracy; home to tens of thousands of American troops; and a partner, ever since so many Americans fought and died in the Korean War, in containing North Korea’s threat to the world. Shouldn’t they love us?

This is all true, but the Korean-American alliance can sometimes look a bit different from the other end of the Pacific. Some crucial events inform – though do not, on their own, fully explain – why Psy and other Korean performers would show such animosity toward the United States.

It is interesting that Obama is planning to attend a charity event with Psy and I reckon he wouldn't be going now if he ever had to face another election. But he doesn't.

I was suprised that O would still attend the party, but like JJ pointed out, O has no reelection worries in front of him now.

Funny world, call for all evil Yankees to be tortured and the Pres will still attend your party. Not much down side for talking a little trash...

Have to disagree with you there JJ, charity is a good cause but when some moron is calling for US troops to be tortured and the Big Man still attends, its sending the wrong signal.

Lets just agree to disagree on this one...

Have to disagree with you there JJ, charity is a good cause but when some moron is calling for US troops to be tortured and the Big Man still attends, its sending the wrong signal.

Sure. But he apologized. I would agree don't attend without the apology. It's part of being tolerant of other cultures. South Korea is still a close ally of the USA. It would be a snub to snub their Gangnam ambassador.

I think US should kick out, bar/ban, boycott, and end all relationships (social/political/military/business/etc) with anyone who has in the past insulted or threatened US.

wink.png