Adapting To Be Able To Live At The Farm

Dancealot

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snooker? driebanden!

No speedscating(schaatsen) on tv

Waking up at 05.00 am from the speakers at the wat.

Serving beer at 06.30 to visitors.

Drinking lao gow 40 at 07.30 am.

Trying to find out if Feyenoord won with an internet connection which diconnects every 20 seconds.

But loving live more them ever before.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by revar
  • Like 2

snooker? driebanden!

No speedscating(schaatsen) on tv

Waking up at 05.00 am from the speakers at the wat.

Serving beer at 06.30 to visitors.

Drinking lao gow 40 at 07.30 am.

Trying to find out if Feyenoord won with an internet connection which diconnects every 20 seconds.

But loving live more them ever before.

3banden is voor oue lullen

Translation: Playing snooker whit out holes to down the balls is just not that fun.

Edited by Dancealot

first of all, nice photos :)

if internet is important for you, as for me, and fed up with these so called 3G USB stick nets, then CAT has a real 3G net with fingers-like rooftop antennae and it works as a charm....we are really out on the sticks, about 2km away from a dusty village, and probably 10 klicks from the nearest mobile tower.

the catch: intallation with all the things, inclusive the wifi router = 17000thb.

monthly is the normal 590+VAT. they have a limitation to download (4GB/month on the top speed) however surfing is normal all month. The avarage speed i get is about 4-5 Mbps, whereas those USB 3G's sometimes only achived a connect to Yahoo mail in 10 min time.

• Like 1

living on a farm in the isan:

The only bar in 20km being a noodle-shop closing at 19.30.

Everybody being asleep at 20.30 ( or watching ch7).

about snooker. there was one table in my village but the police told them to remove it because people were playing for money which is illegal. Would love a table.

Free train station haircuts

Cockfights

Fixing the cock

Charcoal burning ;-) Fore you David

Feeding the fish

Selling the fish

Preparing beef snacks while selling and drinking at the local market.

Preparing to go hunting

post-70928-0-28335200-1354969069_thumb.j

post-70928-0-53720900-1354969183_thumb.j

post-70928-0-91418700-1354969196_thumb.j

post-70928-0-31595700-1354969269_thumb.j

post-70928-0-81708400-1354969404_thumb.j

post-70928-0-11509500-1354969462_thumb.j

post-70928-0-01746300-1354969609_thumb.j

post-70928-0-59449800-1354969626_thumb.j

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 2

living on a farm in the isan:

The only bar in 20km being a noodle-shop closing at 19.30.

Everybody being asleep at 20.30 ( or watching ch7).

about snooker. there was one table in my village but the police told them to remove it because people were playing for money which is illegal. Would love a table.

About snooker: means someone ratted out on the game. Rule nr. 1 is never show you are playing for money.

Is it me or have you all just had soft lives. lived on and off in a stilt hut 6 years, bucket showers, slept on a board, Had to eat what was proved, maybe cooked in farang way, but lived. Have lived in worse environments. NZ one room hut, so cold that the water froze at night. Scotland, far north in a little caravan. First house England, had no money for bed or furniture, slept on the bare floor. Oz lived in a tent picking fruit, hotter than Hades, Plus a few other jobs where you had to sleep in the bush, snow etc without any comfort.

Take a few spoonfuls of cement and harden up, got a roof over your head and food o n the table, you are doing better than a lot of people in this world.

Try sleeping on the streets of New York in winter, which I had to do and anything is better. Think a Russian guy once said, after a Gulag in Siberia, if you can live through that, all the rest is easy. Jim

We only really discover ourselves by experiencing a bit of hardship.

I am working in the arse end of Russia right now.

The place is a dump, but the pay is great & dreaming of our retirement in Thailand always helps.

smile.png

• Like 1

first of all, nice photos smile.png

if internet is important for you, as for me, and fed up with these so called 3G USB stick nets, then CAT has a real 3G net with fingers-like rooftop antennae and it works as a charm....we are really out on the sticks, about 2km away from a dusty village, and probably 10 klicks from the nearest mobile tower.

the catch: intallation with all the things, inclusive the wifi router = 17000thb.

monthly is the normal 590+VAT. they have a limitation to download (4GB/month on the top speed) however surfing is normal all month. The avarage speed i get is about 4-5 Mbps, whereas those USB 3G's sometimes only achived a connect to Yahoo mail in 10 min time.

I don't know what you mean by "fingers-like rooftop antennae" but it was a few years back that I had my antenna installed. Totall cost was 4,500 Bt, but no WiFi router.

WARNING.

My antenna was hit by lightening. Fried my modem and computer and I had to throw away my underwear :D

Thailife has made some very informative posts about antennas in the mobile internet forum, but would probably take a bit of searching to find them if interested.

I don't know what you mean by "fingers-like rooftop antennae" but it was a few years back that I had my antenna installed. Totall cost was 4,500 Bt, but no WiFi router.

WARNING.

My antenna was hit by lightening. Fried my modem and computer and I had to throw away my underwear biggrin.png

Thailife has made some very informative posts about antennas in the mobile internet forum, but would probably take a bit of searching to find them if interested.

what i mean is not a satellite dish. but rather look like an old fashion TV antennae.

luckily the speed also not of those sat. internet speed, like the village have....and as i said, it is remote enough that there is no chance of telephone line in the next decade or so...i know the istalling was pricey, but as i see, it well worth for me.

hey, a round trip with a local car to KK is about 800-1000thb, so, factor that in too.

Edited by tingtong

WARNING.

My antenna was hit by lightening. Fried my modem and computer and I had to throw away my underwear biggrin.png

what i mean is not a satellite dish. but rather look like an old fashion TV antennae.

luckily the speed also not of those sat. internet speed, like the village have....and as i said, it is remote enough that there is no chance of telephone line in the next decade or so...i know the istalling was pricey, but as i see, it well worth for me.

hey, a round trip with a local car to KK is about 800-1000thb, so, factor that in too.

I went down the CAT usb route then tried a AIS usb, both with no joy. One day it dawned on me that my phone had a good signal and pretty good internet so now I tether my phone to laptop via bluetooth and am pretty impressed with the result. Sure well beats the previous 2 attempts.

• Like 1

What does hardship got to do with this? I am confused now.

Adapting To Be Able To Live At The Farm

Sorry I didn't need to adapted just to live, if fact it is a far better life than I had. Jim

Imagine that. I would go that far but this life surely beats a 9-5 job in the west. Yes.

• Like 1

I'm a farm boy but I still require a lot of creature comforts. No roughing it for me. The windows in the house have screens, there is a sit down toilet and the bedroom is air conditioned. I don't watch TV but it is here. I do use the Internet a lot and it is actually pretty good. I have a gas BBQ but my wife still uses charcoal once in a while. My favorite watering hole is up on a mountain about 10 kilometers from the house. I go up about twice a week to have a few beers. I'm very content living in the boonies. I do have a lot of toys and a big workshop/garage.

• Like 2

Getting invites to weddings in the middle of nowhere.

Going to wakes in the middle of same

Getting a book out cos the electrics off again.

Watch the trees across the road

Writing flightplans for the flight sim

Sunday check how Leeds United did.

Wouldn't live in a city if they paid me to. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2