Adapting To Be Able To Live At The Farm

Dancealot

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually fish DON'T sting. People who are not very careful sometimes impale themselves on the very sharp fins. Catfish are very slippery and the top and side fins can easily stick you and it is painful. I wouldn't say they inject poison but there is something there that causes pain, inflammation and swelling.

Actually fish DON'T sting. People who are not very careful sometimes impale themselves on the very sharp fins. Catfish are very slippery and the top and side fins can easily stick you and it is painful. I wouldn't say they inject poison but there is something there that causes pain, inflammation and swelling.

Depends on the species. At least one in the UK waters, and what about stingrays and lion fish?

• Like 1

Depends on the species. At least one in the UK waters, and what about stingrays and lion fish?

The only fishes actively stinging are stingrays.

All others are defending by erecting their fins and you don't mind to touch or walk into...

In freshwater only stingrays and some few catfish are known to have poison associated with the initial hard parts of their fins.

Quite often the saliva on the skin might have some adverse effects.

Yesterday we had another session of the game "searching the fish in the mud" and some large Pla nin decided to erect their fins while I was grabbing them (just to help them to not die in the mud of course biggrin.png ). Two of these this morning don't look so good and might get inflammated, so some antibiotics might do the rest.

Bye,

Derk

How likely would it be to find stingrays and lion fish in an Issan farm pond???????

How likely would it be to find stingrays and lion fish in an Issan farm pond???????

Don't know about in an Issan fish pond, but they get small stingrays in the mountain lakes and rivers here. Surprised me as I always thought they were only in the ocean, but had a look on the net and you can get ones as big as a double bed in the Mekong. Jim

Don't know about in an Issan fish pond, but they get small stingrays in the mountain lakes and rivers here. Surprised me as I always thought they were only in the ocean, but had a look on the net and you can get ones as big as a double bed in the Mekong. Jim

Indeed james. I am still amazed also when i pull up my net and check what is in there. wink.png

Happy 2013 to you and may all your new wishes come true.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

Yepp, they have some stingrays in Thailand, reaching from the small "freshwater stingray" Dasyatis bleekeri with 50 cm to the "giant freshwater stingray" Himantura chaophraya with over 200 cm and up to 600 kg (that would feed a small village on one fish).

Bye,

Derk

• Like 1

Jim ... funny you mention that.

I watched this 'Extreme Fishing' episode back in Australia and now just shared it with the Thai Family.

The Farm boy will have wet spots tonight ... he loved it!

You can watch the lot ... but about the 38 - 40 min mark is the giant stingray of the Mekong River.

Enjoy ... biggrin.png

• Like 1

I watched this 'Extreme Fishing' episode back in Australia and now just shared it with the Thai Family.

You can watch the lot ... but about the 38 - 40 min mark is the giant stingray of the Mekong River.

Enjoy ... biggrin.png

I would be an old old man before I could down load a 40 min video on my net. Jim

Enjoy ... biggrin.png

I would be an old old man before I could down load a 40 min video on my net. Jim

Jim ... all you have to do is move the slider at the bottom of the YouTube to maybe 39 mins ... no need to watch the earlier bits

• Like 1

Great thread Dancealot,not sure how I missed it before.

Keep the photos coming !!!

Shaggy

Mr. Shag. Thanks i appreciate your input. wai.gif

Thats last pic with the kids is wonderful! Very keen from you to capture this moment.

Can i ask you which cam you are using?

Cheers! And thanks for being interested.smile.png

Great thread Dancealot,not sure how I missed it before.

Keep the photos coming !!!

Shaggy

Mr. Shag. Thanks i appreciate your input. wai.gif

Thats last pic with the kids is wonderful! Very keen from you to capture this moment.

Can i ask you which cam you are using?

Cheers! And thanks for being interested.smile.png

Always interested with a good thread.

Along with your own photos it is also nice to see so many other members adding theirs too.

I think that the camera I used was a Pentax Optio A20.

My favorite photo is #4 because I remember the young guy chasing that fish around the last bit water in the pond for about 15 minutes.

He was totally exhausted,but also very proud at the same time.

Shaggy

• Like 1

Mr. Shaggy. This catch shows a lot of very young fish. I learnt from posters here it timing in emptying the pond depends on a lot of factors..

To me it seems this pond was emptied a tat early... Do you recall why it was emptied?

I dont see any adults in there so i assume the reason was to give the kids a good time and hopefuly get a good catch,,

Thanks

Mr. Shaggy. This catch shows a lot of very young fish. I learnt from posters here it timing in emptying the pond depends on a lot of factors..

To me it seems this pond was emptied a tat early... Do you recall why it was emptied?

I dont see any adults in there so i assume the reason was to give the kids a good time and hopefuly get a good catch,,

Thanks

The old pond would just about dry out completely before the rainy season came so we decided to empty it early to dig down another meter to try and hold water in there the whole year round.It also doubled up as the pond for the ducks so that was also another incentive to keep water in it for the full year.....but the kids did have a great time smile.png

Hunting trip 2

Etac suspension

post-70928-0-89975500-1357326418_thumb.j

Chasing the unknown critter

post-70928-0-86506000-1357326582_thumb.j post-70928-0-55099700-1357326645_thumb.j

Resting around the Etac and getting some shade

post-70928-0-32920500-1357326703_thumb.j post-70928-0-27244500-1357326678_thumb.j

Cooling down & cleaning food

post-70928-0-86201500-1357326934_thumb.j post-70928-0-07896600-1357326950_thumb.j

Morning glory, phak bung just here for the taking

post-70928-0-67557700-1357327072_thumb.j

Tomyam cooking and feeling hungry

post-70928-0-06080400-1357327206_thumb.j

• Like 2