Portable Chain Saw Mill

DDay

Has anyone seen or heard of a chain saw mill being used in Thailand. My experience to date has been watching the Thai's freehand cut logs into slabs with the chain saw in lengths rarely exceeding 1.5 meters. Depending on the skills of the operator, this can result in some pretty poor looking slabs of wood that require extensive planing before the wood is suitable for furniture.

I know there are commercial kits available that would suffer from customs tariffs but I have seen as numerous designs on the web for DIY enthusiast.

I know about and have heard all the rants about wood being a highly controlled substance so lets not go there,

Measure twice, cut once

Most portable saw mills are the band saw type. The log lays on a frame and the band saw travels on rollers attached to this frame. They are pretty slick and accurate. Chinese brands start at about $4,000 US.

Gary,

Thx for the info. There are basically 3 types of portable mills; chain saw, band and circular; all of which have their positive and negative attributes. I have not seen too many petro powered band saws so that limits their portability as does access to parts should the band saw fail. Chain saw parts/supplies are much more readily available

Most portable saw mills are the band saw type. The log lays on a frame and the band saw travels on rollers attached to this frame. They are pretty slick and accurate. Chinese brands start at about $4,000 US.

Never really seen a portable saw mill out here, some of the locals have those big [what I call buzz saws ] but not big as in a saw mill, hand held or mounted on the back of a pick up truck, with some wood or steel guides to put the lumber through.

Not really big trees here, seem to make good enough boards.

d

Don't know about the chainsaw ones, but here it's easier to get a hand gun permit than a license to own a big logging type chainsaw. Jim

Hi fellow woodworker,

I totaly agree with your views on the local way of butchering wood with a chainsaw to make workable boards that take ages to thickness. I do alot of woodwork here in Meaung Loei & have acumulated a good array of tools including a planer/thicknesser & an excellent Makita table saw which I can mannage to cut up to 8" boards with. (4" cut each side) Cutting big timber is a problem here because it's ilegal to own a chainsaw longer than 12" or a big saw mill like the one you are looking for without a government liscence. For big stuff I do the same as I have done for many years in Scotland & leave it to the guys with the big toys. I have befriended the boss of a huge saw mill in Tha Li. They cut my logs to a managable size for me & I do the finishing work. It might be a better idea for you to ffind someone in your area who can do the same for you. A lot less hassle & not expensive. Good luck anyway.

• Like 1

Where do people get the idea there is a law restricting chainsaw size ? (Please quote it before you respond) I can buy any size chainsaw I want, what I cant do by law is cut certain species of trees without a permit. Guess i better hide my 18 inch bar and chain, lots of stores have them for sale.

www.dica.gov.mm/includes/Reservation%20List/Thailand%20Rsv%20List%20%28rev%20-%20Final%2030%20Jan%202012%29.pdf

page 25 states that only Thais can get a chainsaw permit. This will be about illegal deforestation on the borders I guess.

I have heard also that you need a permit for saws over a certain length but have never been able to pin it down. Farangs can't work on farms either... you can hire a car and nobody asks if you have insurance.. I use my chainsaws (35 and 48 cm) around the village to help out, no problems up to now. I am having difficulties finding a grinding disc for sharpening however.

Well I didn't say that did I? I was interested in your question and looked for myself.

Why don't you try again with the way you answer people that are trying to help.In fact why don't you google it yourself, there's a good boy.

I don't think you read the document properly, it states that only Thais will get a chain saw permit. As to any limitations on the bar length of a chain saw before you get a permit, I couldn't find any infos. The guys in Watsadu won't ask to see your permit, if permit is needed, they are there to sell chain saws and not act as representatives of the royal forestry commission.

You seem to be on a bad day, I hope you don't pick up a chain saw near anybody.

• Like 1

^ And again you dont know what you are talking about.

At least I don't take the trouble of annoying people that are trying to help out. Are you drunk all day or is it just a part of your multifaceted personality?

No I don't know the answer but I was hoping to shed some light on it, whereas you seem to be interested in shedding s##t on it.

I saw one last year. That's all I can tell you, but they can be found.

Cooked, was it a commercial setup or of the home grown variety?

I'll try to find out tomorrow.

Yes a commercial set up, the guy comes by and does the deed. Near Buriram if anybody is in dire need. I'm afraid I couldn't find out where the machine came from, still looking.

I do believe the chainsaw legality issue is getting blown way out of proportion. As I understand it, there are no issues to prevent you from owning one. There are registration requirements for the big saws but this is seldom if ever enforced. There is a lot bigger issue when it comes to transporting the lumber as the BIB love their tea/mia noy fund.

Hi fellow woodworker,

I totaly agree with your views on the local way of butchering wood with a chainsaw to make workable boards that take ages to thickness. I do alot of woodwork here in Meaung Loei & have acumulated a good array of tools including a planer/thicknesser & an excellent Makita table saw which I can mannage to cut up to 8" boards with. (4" cut each side) Cutting big timber is a problem here because it's ilegal to own a chainsaw longer than 12" or a big saw mill like the one you are looking for without a government liscence. For big stuff I do the same as I have done for many years in Scotland & leave it to the guys with the big toys. I have befriended the boss of a huge saw mill in Tha Li. They cut my logs to a managable size for me & I do the finishing work. It might be a better idea for you to ffind someone in your area who can do the same for you. A lot less hassle & not expensive. Good luck anyway.

Hi fellow woodworker,

Hi Scot,

Nice to hear of others with sawdust in their veins. I also have set up a halfway decent shop with the tools requisite for design/build of furniture and various village projects. Have to consult a map to see your location. Would like to get together some time to compare slivers and stock piles. Am mobile at the moment in Laos and will try to pm you later if you are interested.

Edited by DDay

I do believe the chainsaw legality issue is getting blown way out of proportion. As I understand it, there are no issues to prevent you from owning one. There are registration requirements for the big saws but this is seldom if ever enforced. There is a lot bigger issue when it comes to transporting the lumber as the BIB love their tea/mia noy fund.

Don't know where you are setting up shop, but be careful transporting wood. Out here it's not some tea money to the BIB, it's jail time or massive fines. Local cops don't get involved much, it's border army and forestry plus some other national police. Road blocks are daily and many locals have been jailed for illegal logging or transporting lumber.

It may just be a sensitive area when it comes to lumber and poaching, land border with Lao and definitely don't get caught with an unlicensed chainsaw, straight to jail.

As for thunders comments, take little notice, a few years back he was saying there was no GPS in Thailand for land surveying. Jim.

The Peterson Swing Blade system seems to be the best for furniture and Building. You cut the log directly on the grain patterns. I am planning such a sawmill to build next year, for our teak plantation. The paperwork is done largely. Planning and construction I do most locations in Bangkok, the plantation is in Udon Thani. Cooperation is possible.

I will use the original Peterson Saw Blades 8", and power with a 10-15 HP LPG engine, rails for 6m length.

Edited by spirit47