If They Can Pack It In Full, Then ...

rene123

Then why can't they pack it out empty instead of tossing their rubbish along a pristine stream in the few wilderness areas with good access? I live in Chiang Mai and one of my favourite spots near the city are the trails up the mountain from HueyKaew waterfalls (at the base of Doi Sutthep). But, the problem of dumping trash is not just in that pretty park, it's most everywhere I go in Thailand. There was only one exception and that was in a Christianized valley south of Mae Sariang. I didn't see the same trash there and locals cleaned up their own mess.

And, it's not just a problem in Thailand. I've seen the same thing in BC campsites after every long weekend. Slobs bother me with their lack of caring.

• Like 1

Same problem at Ban Phe.

Hundred of weekenders swarm to the beach,Barbies picnics drinks,Monday morning the beach look like a rubbish tip.

Local vendors left to try and clean up,plenty of bins along the beach road for the use of,hard to fathom.

Maybe should leave all the rubbish for the next visit,but doubt they (litterers) would notice.

It always amazes me that people can always carry the FULL cans / bags etc, but the empty ones suddenly become a major burden. In the UK, a large supermarket opened near our outer-city school. The great unwashed herd over there when it's feeding time, and leave a trail of litter back to the idiot factory, like scores of incontinent slugs.

It's even sadder when lovely countryside like the paths up to Doi Suthep are spoiled: there really is no need for it.

The lack of bins doesn't help really.

Or rubbish collection,which in most rural areas is non existent.

Meaning it gets dumped at the side of the road or you get a daily dose of burning plastic in your lungs.

In my village it's hard to be more than 5 metres from a bin yet the road is full of discarded packaging..

My neighbour would rather throw rubbish out of a window instead of making the effort to put it in the bin.

The people that make any effort to keep the village tidy are most definitely the exception.

Most people are quite happy to live in a rubbish dump.

When I go to the shop, I take a bag with me, I don't want to add to the problem, I don't see anybody else doing that here.

When I was a youngster in UK, there were public information films on TV to get people to pick up their litter. I guess that means the UK was full of litter back then. As in most aspects, Thailand is simply 40 years behind the developed world, & insists on reinventing the wheel with regards to most things.

It always amazes me that people can always carry the FULL cans / bags etc, but the empty ones suddenly become a major burden. In the UK, a large supermarket opened near our outer-city school. The great unwashed herd over there when it's feeding time, and leave a trail of litter back to the idiot factory, like scores of incontinent slugs.

It's even sadder when lovely countryside like the paths up to Doi Suthep are spoiled: there really is no need for it.

Yes but at least in the UK the supermarkets employ people to take care of rubbish as do the local councils,and we even have these.

I don't see to may road sweepers here in Phetchabun.

post-118612-0-79739700-1355053620_thumb.

The paths up to Doi Suthep are pristine and litter free.

Not 100% true, but pretty close. Always find the occasional red bull bottle or snack wrapper. Far too heavy to carry down. Mainly because not many locals venture up there, I guess.

Not 100% true, but pretty close. Always find the occasional red bull bottle or snack wrapper. Far too heavy to carry down. Mainly because not many locals venture up there, I guess.

It might also have something to do with the dozen or so groundskeepers Wat Doi Suthep (and the subsidiary Wat Palaat) employ to keep the trail neat and clean.

It might also have something to do with the dozen or so groundskeepers Wat Doi Suthep (and the subsidiary Wat Palaat) employ to keep the trail neat and clean.

I'm talking about trails higher up near the top of Doi Pui, and Doi Pa Kha. When I refer to Doi Suthep, I refer to the mountain, not the temple. I guess we're talking different trails.

Edited by MESmith

I need look no further than the side of my house, every possible piece of garbage dumped along there. Thais are pigs, pure and simple. Old enough to remember when Australia stamped on littering, used to be pretty bad, now it is rare. As Thailand has a governmnet only interested in getting rich minor issues like rubbish and pollution gain no attention. There again how many Thais are agitating to make it an issue, governments accomodate the voters, well to a degree anyway.

Yes but at least in the UK the supermarkets employ people to take care of rubbish as do the local councils,and we even have these.

I don't see to may road sweepers here in Phetchabun.

Surely this strange machine will be converted into a tourist attraction or at least painted gold.

(Huay Keow waterfalls is not a path up to Doi Suthep)

I beg to differ. I've done it lots of times. There is a good trail from Huay Keow waterfalls at the bottom of the mountain and all the way up to where the creek runs under the highway. Then, there is another trail beyond that and it will eventually go to the top. And, if you see a big tall red head with a bush axe in her hand, don't be alarmed. It's just me building more trails. Right now, If you want to walk to the top of the mountain then you have to go up the highway a few kilometers and go into the park (200 baht) There is a steep trail from there that comes out on the top of the mountain above the temple. .

Or rubbish collection,which in most rural areas is non existent.

Meaning it gets dumped at the side of the road or you get a daily dose of burning plastic in your lungs.

Kee kwai that is.

My rice paddy road has a weekly rubbish collection.

However most neighbors don't want to spend the 20 baht/month tax for the collection truck to stop at their door, thus they just throw the rubbish next door or burn it, which is worse?

(Huay Keow waterfalls is not a path up to Doi Suthep)

I beg to differ. I've done it lots of times. There is a good trail from Huay Keow waterfalls at the bottom of the mountain and all the way up to where the creek runs under the highway. Then, there is another trail beyond that and it will eventually go to the top. And, if you see a big tall red head with a bush axe in her hand, don't be alarmed. It's just me building more trails. Right now, If you want to walk to the top of the mountain then you have to go up the highway a few kilometers and go into the park (200 baht) There is a steep trail from there that comes out on the top of the mountain above the temple. .

The traditional trail (Pilgrim's Trail) to Wat Doi Suthep starts near Wat Fai Hin (top of Suthep Road), passes through Wat Palaat, and ends at Wat Doi Suthep. No where does it go near Huay Keow falls. Nobody in their right mind pays 200bht to enter Montathon Falls, walk in round the back

On the whole Thais don't seem to have much environmental concern and mindless littering is an issue but there is some interesting progress being made. The new, lightweight PET Namthip bottles (made by Coca-cola) use 35% less plastic and are fully recyclable. These bottles are annoyingly flimsy and sort of collapse when you hold them up to drink but I guess Thais figure that someone will go around collecting them and sell them to recycling plants. Thai consumers don't kick up a fuss like they do in the West and society is quite 'elastic' and open to new change. Eco-cars and hybrids have caught on like wild-fire and while cars and bottled water will never be environmentally friendly, when something better comes along like biodegradable plastic made from bio-fuel then Thailand may perhaps be quicker to adopt it than Western countries. Thais will still be litter-bugs though!

I'm talking about trails higher up near the top of Doi Pui, and Doi Pa Kha. When I refer to Doi Suthep, I refer to the mountain, not the temple. I guess we're talking different trails.

When I refer to Doi Sutthep I'm also talking about the mountain and not the temples near the top. Huay Keow waterfalls ARE at the bottom of the mountain and there is a trail from Huay Keow waterfalls a fair distance up the mountain, or at least to where the stream flows under the road. If you cross the road and look in the bushes on the other side you will find another trail heading upward. It goes for about another 1/2 walk upstream and sort of ends there below a waterfall in a narrow canyon. I wasn't able to find any trail beyond that point so I've made my own.

And, I would not discount the 200 baht park fee to the other falls, unless you are just a Cheap Charlie. 200 baht is peanuts compared to buying a western meal in a farang restaurant. Stupid men are quite willing to buy lady drinks for some Thai gal to sit with them in a bar.

And, I would not discount the 200 baht park fee to the other falls, unless you are just a Cheap Charlie. 200 baht is peanuts compared to buying a western meal in a farang restaurant. Stupid men are quite willing to buy lady drinks for some Thai gal to sit with them in a bar.

You're not allowed to walk beside Monthathon falls (up to Sai Yoy falls) without a park ranger with you.

If they catch you going it alone, they get very angry. (I only have to pay 30bht to get in anyway)

The traditional trail (Pilgrim's Trail) to Wat Doi Suthep starts near Wat Fai Hin (top of Suthep Road), passes through Wat Palaat, and ends at Wat Doi Suthep. No where does it go near Huay Keow falls. Nobody in their right mind pays 200bht to enter Montathon Falls, walk in round the back

If you start at the top of Sutthep road then you haven't climbed up Doi Sutthep mountain from the bottom. The bottom section is very scenic and quite easy for anyone without physical disabilities. I often see tourists walking down the road and I've stopped more than a few of them to show them a shorter and more pleasant way down to the bottom.

Thailand is one big rubbish dump , rubbish everywhere , if as thai sees someone dumping rubbish then they think its ok , and soon it has piled up ..disgusting habit

As I first mentioned, it is NOT all of Thailand. If you travel into the Mae Ngao River valley south of Mae Sariang, and look in the villages of that beautiful area then you will hardly find any plastic trash. I'm not a religious person, but maybe the Christian missionaries passed on a few good beliefs.