Patrick Moore, Eccentric Astronomer And T V Host, Dies At 89

webfact

Patrick Moore, Eccentric Astronomer and TV Host, Dies at 89

By MICHAEL SCHWIRTZ

LONDON: -- Patrick Moore, an eccentric and accomplished astronomer, television show host and author of popular science books who once wrote an astronomy book with the guitarist from the band Queen, died on Sunday at his home in Selsey, England. He was 89.

His death was announced in a statement by several of his friends.

Mr. Moore was best known as the host of the BBC astronomy program “The Sky at Night,” which has been on the air since 1957. In the latest episode, which was shown on Sunday, Mr. Moore discussed the planet Mercury and the NASA spacecraft Messenger, which was sent to study it.

Full story: http://www.nytimes.c...at-89.html?_r=0

-- The New York Times 2012-12-10

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

I had the pleasure of meeting him on two occasions and he was once over his initial shyness ( yes strangely enough he was a shy man) a wonderful man erudite and certainly not at all patronizing.

Sad news indeed. I was only watching the 'Mercury and the Moon' episode yesterday. As a presenter he had the rare talent of passing on his enthusiasm to the viewer with the use of ordinary language. (No need for over the top hyperbole)

I wonder how many amateur and professional astronomers are out there whose initial interest was nurtured by 'The Sky at Night' ?

An eccentric and a one off, thank you for your programmes over the years. RIP.

I also met him once, on an aircraft. He was really grumpy at the time with the cabin crew. Nothing serious, but quite funny really. He was an inspiration as a child, when we used to gather around the TV and be told tales of distant stars and learn the constellations.

Here he is in the late 1980's with Brian May, the guy mentioned in the OP. Brian was of course the lead guitarist in Queen but was a highly qualified research Astronomer completing a fairly difficult degree before his musical career started.

RIP Patrick, journey through the stars long and safe. Enjoy!