Bike Safety In Thailand

AllanB

I have seen the above video numerous times as well as many others available on YT. My conclusion is that 90% are actually the biker's fault and could have and should have been avoided. I agree with loserlazer's point about karma but really, one has to say somnana about some of these riders.

I have seen the above video numerous times as well as many others available on YT. My conclusion is that 90% are actually the biker's fault and could have and should have been avoided. I agree with loserlazer's point about karma but really, one has to say somnana about some of these riders.

you are right gweiloman about poor riding skills but sometime in Asia, it does not work even if you are the best rider in this world in terms of an accident.

Apologies to those who I have upset, but....

My wife's kids now ride bikes and I have seen first hand accidents just like these, trouble is kids think they are immortal and it takes something like this to show them that, perhaps they are not. The only scenes they found funny were the very low speed ones where there was no injury, they "gasped" at the near fatal ones and I talked about the video with them, during and after. I have to say it is a reminder to me too, though I am an ultra-cautious old woman, sitting at 65kph on main roads, eyes all over the place in towns.

So as far as I am concerned, an educational video on road safety that, being S.E.Asian, they can associate with.

If there is a karma, or superstitious aspect to watching such a thing, I am unaware and unmoved, teaching the kids is more important to me.

There are too many people here already who believe that things like that will preserve them, when common sense and education will do a whole lot more.

But hey, what do I know. Perhaps I should just bastardise a well known saying instead

"There are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers"

Is there any safety apparel available in Thailand suitable for this hot and humid climate?

In the UK I would be wearing leather, giving me some level of protection should something bad happen, but in this climate leather is out of the question, so is there a lightweight alternative? With perhaps reinforcement patches to protect vulnerable parts of the anatomy, something similar to the gear used by mountain bikers.

I wear a decent crash hat, but wear a thin cotton shirt and jeans, not the best if I do come off.

Any suggestions?

Is there any safety apparel available in Thailand suitable for this hot and humid climate?

In the UK I would be wearing leather, giving me some level of protection should something bad happen, but in this climate leather is out of the question, so is there a lightweight alternative? With perhaps reinforcement patches to protect vulnerable parts of the anatomy, something similar to the gear used by mountain bikers.

I wear a decent crash hat, but wear a thin cotton shirt and jeans, not the best if I do come off.

Any suggestions?

Perforated leather or Mesh Jackets.

But everything that offers real protection will make you sweat in city traffic stop and go. The better the protection, the more sweat wil run :)

Any suggestions?

Mesh jackets are ok, but of course still hot especially when standing. When iam driving in BKK iam wearing good helmet, gloves and a back proctector.

Any suggestions?

Mesh jackets are ok, but of course still hot especially when standing. When iam driving in BKK iam wearing good helmet, gloves and a back proctector.

That sounds okay where did you get that. in Thailand?

Any suggestions?

That sounds okay where did you get that. in Thailand?

In Bkk:

Paddock - Ratchadapisek rd The best selection IMO

Panda Rider - Phahonyothin rd

Stadium - under the ram intra express way, just before Honda Big wing. 2 shops here, one has cheaper stuff and the other is quite expensive Dianese gear etc.

Most Honda dealers (around the country) have accessory books and have padded Honda jackets you can order, some may even have them in stock.

Allan, it is bad luck to see/watch bike accidents as a biker.

And people, please consider karma before laughing at them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

You have to believe in such 'superstitions' in the the first place. Of course, if anything were to EVER happen to someone that has viewed (and possibly laughed at) the video, it's definitive proof that bad luck happens if you watch bike accident video.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, ride slower. No need to go 100kph on a little scooter. Most of the time, you are in an urban environment, where legal speeds are slightly above the speed of what a bicycle is capable of doing. Should bicyclists wear body protection?

Most of the crashes were sheer rider stupidity (some auto-driver stupidity). Don't be an idiot when riding. The guys getting taken out by the crashing rider - now these guys were just hapless collateral damage.

If you are on a big bike, going highway speeds a lot, then indeed, wear proper safety gear.

Apologies to those who I have upset, but....

My wife's kids now ride bikes and I have seen first hand accidents just like these, trouble is kids think they are immortal and it takes something like this to show them that, perhaps they are not. The only scenes they found funny were the very low speed ones where there was no injury, they "gasped" at the near fatal ones and I talked about the video with them, during and after. I have to say it is a reminder to me too, though I am an ultra-cautious old woman, sitting at 65kph on main roads, eyes all over the place in towns.

So as far as I am concerned, an educational video on road safety that, being S.E.Asian, they can associate with.

If there is a karma, or superstitious aspect to watching such a thing, I am unaware and unmoved, teaching the kids is more important to me.

There are too many people here already who believe that things like that will preserve them, when common sense and education will do a whole lot more.

But hey, what do I know. Perhaps I should just bastardise a well known saying instead

"There are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers"

I have no problem with your post or showing it to my brood. Shock & Awe can work wonders :)

Any suggestions?

Yeah, ride slower. No need to go 100kph on a little scooter. Most of the time, you are in an urban environment, where legal speeds are slightly above the speed of what a bicycle is capable of doing. Should bicyclists wear body protection?

Most of the crashes were sheer rider stupidity (some auto-driver stupidity). Don't be an idiot when riding. The guys getting taken out by the crashing rider - now these guys were just hapless collateral damage.

If someone has some "how to ride properly" videos, please post them here.

If you are on a big bike, going highway speeds a lot, then indeed, wear proper safety gear.

Maybe you clicked on the wrong quote button, but I don't ride a little bike, nor do I ride at 100kph, mostly 65-70 on long runs, but would like some better riding gear, for the girl especially..

Someone else commented that the video was an execution video, but note that no one was killed in any of the clips, so not a snuff movie at all..

Edited by AllanB