Russians In Phuket

hansgruber

Should have bought some 7/11 shares. Seems to be the only business thats not russian owned thats thriving.

Yes, and that pretty much sums up the way Phuket is headed. The Russians, Chinese and Indians do not spend on hospitality (food/alcohol/women) the way the westerners have done in the past.

I saw my first Chinese, possibly Korean, tour group in Big C the other day. The were all wearing the same hats and gathered around the tour guide to was speaking to them. Then, shortly after, I saw them shopping for food.

There may be a lot of them flying into Phuket, but small businesses on the island are not see any money from them.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should have bought some 7/11 shares. Seems to be the only business thats not russian owned thats thriving.

Yes, and that pretty much sums up the way Phuket is headed. The Russians, Chinese and Indians do not spend on hospitality (food/alcohol/women) the way the westerners have done in the past.

I saw my first Chinese, possibly Korean, tour group in Big C the other day. The were all wearing the same hats and gathered around the tour guide to was speaking to them. Then, shortly after, I saw them shopping for food.

There may be a lot of them flying into Phuket, but small businesses on the island are not see any money from them.

A Thai friend that has worked at a hotel in Kata for many years said the Chinese order hot water from room service to make Mama noodles in their room and don't tip. I haven't asked him about Russians...

A Thai friend that has worked at a hotel in Kata for many years said the Chinese order hot water from room service to make Mama noodles in their room and don't tip. I haven't asked him about Russians...

From my observations, if one wanted to start a new business on Phuket that was aimed squarely at the Russian market, it would be a shop that sell tubes of Pringles chips...and nothing else.

A few weeks back I was in the fruit and vege section at the big Tesco at Thalang.

There was a mid thirties Russian couple there, obviously on holidays due to their frightening sunburn, hovering over a big bin that contained potatoes on sale. I stood nearby for a good 15 minutes (waiting for my girl to finish her shopping), and was more than a little amused watching these two picking up, and inspecting, all of the potatoes before finally selecting a half dozen or so for their plastic bag.

I don't confess to know how the Russian mind works.

However, I do know that if I spent my hard earned on a short term holiday abroad, I would not waste 15 minutes of my precious time reviewing 20 THB per kilo potatoes.

Just to make it clear - It is only your assumption based on their sunburns, that they were on holiday. I personally have no idea why would one even spend holiday time to go to Tesco in the first place, especially for potatoes.

I do understand that many ThaiVisa readers still think that there's a large deficit of everything in Russia, but trust me, potatoes are not something extremely difficult to buy. So generally there's no reason for average tourist in Thailand to go for potato shopping.

Edited by pavlik
  • Like 1

I am a live and let live type and in most cases give others the benefit of doubt and would like to understand the Russian tourists coming here as we all have to fit in with each other but you dont get much help from them i have tried to give a smile but they look right through you so after a few attempt i give up i think its a shame as long as they do that and dont try to mix we will never get to know them i am aware the Japan and Chinese dont mix well but i dont come across them in the supermarkets etc.