Welcome To The Winter

chrisinth

.... how do you feel that you live in a country where you don't enjoy the climate for the majority of the year?

I've never lived anywhere where the climate was right all the year though mountain areas like the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia and Baguio in the Philippines both come very close. They have other disadvantages though.

Here I just have the aircon on all the time when I'm at home which is fine for indoors, and at least I know that when I go out I wont ever need to put an anorak on or scrape ice off the car windscreen. The only question here when leaving the house is whether I need just tshirt and shorts, or just tshirt and shorts and an umbrella.

That said, if the temperature here was about 5 deg C less all year round it would indeed be much nicer and I would use a lot less electricity.

.... how do you feel that you live in a country where you don't enjoy the climate for the majority of the year?

I've never lived anywhere where the climate was right all the year though mountain areas like the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia and Baguio in the Philippines both come very close. They have other disadvantages though.

Here I just have the aircon on all the time when I'm at home which is fine for indoors, and at least I know that when I go out I wont ever need to put an anorak on or scrape ice off the car windscreen. The only question here when leaving the house is whether I need just tshirt and shorts, or just tshirt and shorts and an umbrella.

That said, if the temperature here was about 5 deg C less all year round it would indeed be much nicer and I would use a lot less electricity.

I couldnt imagine having the air con on all the time ,how do you aclimatize to the country if you do that? we just use it for a few hours at night to get to sleep.

It surely depends on what part of the country you are in, and how do you feel that you live in a country where you don't enjoy the climate for the majority of the year?

Yes, agree it does depend what part of the country you are living. To me it isn't all to do with the temperature drop but more to do with the humidity; I do enjoy the hot weather, but it is nice to have it cooler for a period of the year...............wink.png

I thought it had been winter for a month or two already. Getting dark about 17.30.

True, but we are just noticing the slight temperature drop where we are. That (to me) is what makes it pleasant.

before it returns to unpleasant for 10 months or so..

but it's true there aren't many places in the world where you could live any enjoy the climate all year...maybe Australia to a degree or west coast US?

I couldnt imagine having the air con on all the time ,how do you aclimatize to the country if you do that? we just use it for a few hours at night to get to sleep.

Would you not have your heating on in Europe in winter? Or would you just freeze your goolies off in the name of acclimatisation whilst sitting at home in the evening? I know people in the north of Britain who have their heating on for 10 months or more in the year.

I have my aircon on all the time I'm at home but I set it to 26 degrees, which takes the unpleasantness off the heat and, above all, reduces the humidity. If I couldn't use aircon I would not live in Pattaya at all, and would probably move to the north at some altitude.

I thought it had been winter for a month or two already. Getting dark about 17.30.

True, but we are just noticing the slight temperature drop where we are. That (to me) is what makes it pleasant.

Unfortunately it just seems to be humid and more humid in Chonburi. sad.png The car was reading 34C earlier.

Unfortunately it just seems to be humid and more humid in Chonburi. sad.png The car was reading 34C earlier.

Maybe called that too soon, just been talking with a mate in the Ban Chang/Sattahip area and it has been p1ssing down there! May explain for the humidity over in Chonburi................sad.png

Meanwhile, up here on the plains (Phitsanulok), not a cloud in the sky.

Would you not have your heating on in Europe in winter? Or would you just freeze your goolies off in the name of acclimatisation whilst sitting at home in the evening? I know people in the north of Britain who have their heating on for 10 months or more in the year.

I have my aircon on all the time I'm at home but I set it to 26 degrees, which takes the unpleasantness off the heat and, above all, reduces the humidity. If I couldn't use aircon I would not live in Pattaya at all, and would probably move to the north at some altitude.

there is a vast difference between freezing your nuts off in a British winter and keeping cool here in Thailand ,the first piece of advice i was given on living here permanantly was ,keep the aircon off just use fans ,it was rough for the first few months but now its fine ,we very rarely have it on daytime ,you can always tell the people who are not acclimatized ,its the sweat running of them when they walk outside. still each to his own.

• Like 1

Not LOS, but pretty much the same latitude as Chiang Mai, although higher altitude.....here just outside Luang Prabang, the 'winter' season kicked in two days ago. 10 Celsius this morning at 6am, misty until 10am, hot 30Celsius all day, then the temp drops as soon as the sun sets. Coldest last year in January was 6C!!

there is a vast difference between freezing your nuts off in a British winter and keeping cool here in Thailand

I disagree. As far as I'm concerned it's exactly the same. You alter the temperature of your surroundings in order to suit your personal taste. In the UK you heat your dwelling and here you cool/dehumidify it. That's what I do anyway. In Europe I used to do both: heating for 5 months in the winter and aircon for 2 months in the summer.

Maybe called that too soon, just been talking with a mate in the Ban Chang/Sattahip area and it has been p1ssing down there! May explain for the humidity over in Chonburi................

Big downpour in Jomtien a couple of hours ago. They said it would continue well into December this year.

yes got lots of rain here in banglamung ,lovely for the garden.