Applecare In Bangkok

GreenSnapper

It's now up on the 5th floor. Just turn up.

You mean on the 5th floor in Panthip plaza. I was there a few weeks ago with my 6 years old iMac, believe it or not, they don't repair stuff from 6 years old anymore, unbelievable. I'm not satisfied about Apple anymore.

No 5th floor Siam Discovery. I went in October so they could run a full system check on my mb pro.

I went to Siam Discovery and they are unable to do anything. Friendly chicks, but they said even a simple repair would take minimum 2 weeks.

Finally I went to the Apple service shop at Fortune town, they have some technicians there. Not sure how long it wll take, they have to order ALL parts from Singapore first.

Service desert Thailand.

There's another Apple service place in Amarin plaza across from Siam Disco. Anything major and it goes to Singapore. My logic board will take 2-3 weeks when I decide to do it. Still poor Apple service in Thailand.

Now this sort of thing is the chief reason why I'm loathe to buy Macs in this country. Everyone I know with one says stuff like, "Nah you don't need Applecare - I've had mine X years - they never go wrong" or "They just work" but the truth of the matter is that if something does go wrong, you might have to wait 2 weeks for it to be repaired.

If you rely on it for work, <deleted> are you supposed to do while it's being repaired? I mean, with something like a Dell, if it goes wrong, you pick up the phone and within 1-3 days, there's a techie at your front door, with brand new, genuine parts and the tools to do the job in your home. I know - I've availed myself of the service twice in Thailand.

Compare that with having to traipse to Siam Discovery or wherever, queue up and wait for the arbitrary decision on whether the fault is covered under the warranty only to be told they're gonna have to ship it off for a fortnight.

^

that's not my experience with dell ,yes they did come to my house with a replacement screen however the new screen fitted still had the same problem , so they wanted to take the laptop away with them and couldn't even give a time frame for repair and this was in the uk.

I don't think there are 2 many places that do repairs same day or even 2-3 days,another hp laptop I had to take to Phuket they sent it away and was a 10 day wait so it's not only apple that are slow on repair times and it's not only Thailand that has service issues

http://www.maccenter.co.th/map.html

Check the link for what its worth. Most warranty repairs take a couple of weeks.

That's the place I went. I'd strongly advice to go to the Fortune branch, not to the Discovery center.

My warranty repair was finally done in 6 days and everything works well. I did not pay anything, of course.

^ what was the repair? Might try the Fortune one for mine.

Hard disk was faulty. Got a new one.

The technician there looks like a motorbike taxi driver, but seems competent and speaks some English. So in the end it was a positive experience.

I just wonder, what do folks upcountry when they have a Apple warranty issue?

• 2 months later...

When are we going to get decent service and real genius bars in Thailand instead of the sh*te service offered by istudio or copperwired .. I guess never, as apple must have signed the franchise over to them for x years.

If you are thinking of buying an apple product in Thailand, think twice about what if things go wrong .. Its not a pleasant experience, and its certainly upto the standard that we enjoy in the UK or USA. You could say, that it should be expected, this is Thailand, but just to point out that as apple prices are global standard then surely aftersales care should follow suite.

• Like 2

I've had two support issues with AppleCare.

1) logic board needed replacing on an iMac. I called the Thailand Apple Support number listed on the Apple site, pressed the button for English and spoke to and English speaking rep. Ran through some basic troubleshooting, and was determined I needed a support call. Apple arranged for a tech to come out from a Sathorn/Silom location, he picked up the iMac, and I delivered it back roughly about a week later. Good service.

2) MacBook needed a HD replacement. This time after troubleshooting on the phone, I was asked to bring to MB to Fortunetown. I did...dropped it at iStudio there, and received a call roughly 3 days later to come pick it up. Again, good service.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Service in Thailand just is not the same as you'll get in the US, UK, or western country. Get used to it and learn to go with it. I've had good service experience with Apple repairs, good and bad (slooooow) service for camera repairs, really awful service just trying to buy an large HP monitor. It's cultural and you ain't in Kansas anymore... smile.png

• 4 weeks later...

It's now up on the 5th floor. Just turn up.

You mean on the 5th floor in Panthip plaza. I was there a few weeks ago with my 6 years old iMac, believe it or not, they don't repair stuff from 6 years old anymore, unbelievable. I'm not satisfied about Apple anymore.

When I bought a Powerbook G4 in 2005 which was my first Apple product, the person giving a presentation in the store about an Apple program answered a few questions for me after his presentation. He mentioned a few things and one of them was "it's kind of hard to screw up a Mac" and when I asked about extending the 3 year Applecare program, he said it's not possible but I'd be likely to want to buy a new laptop after three years anyway due to improvements made with them.

His words proved true for me.

Regarding the authorized Apple outlet which also sells some items as a store, I've been given completion dates up to two weeks as well. To my surprise, each and every time, the work haas been completed far sooner than that time.

I rate them highly in terms of satisfaction.

And yes, there will come a time with any electronic product where the manufacturer will no longer be able or willing to do repairs. the two times i looked for a repair of a printer in the states i was told even though it was less than 12 months old that, repairs weren't available.

Time sometimes to move on and forward.