Bts Madness

roiethome

Today, while I was waiting for the sky train at On Nut station, I was approached by one of the guards who informed me that I could not take durian on the train.

I informed him that I had carried it in my bags of shopping many times from On Nut to Udom Suk, but he was insistent and called his supervisor.

The supervisor told me I had to take a taxi home and not use the train.

I advised him that there were notices banning dogs, explosive materials, food and drink but none relating to durian, and I demanded to see the station manager.

When I explained the situation to him, he informed me that they had "special bag" for durian, and for me to wait a minute.

I expected him to return with a 'zip-lock' or similar sealed bag, but all it was was a normal carrier bag from another store on the station, but less opaque and he put my Tesco-Lotus bag into the new bag and let me carry on to take the train.

So it appears that it is OK to take durian on the train, as long as no one can see it in your bag and hence no one knows who has the durian on the train.

A perfect example of Ting-Tong-Thailand !

Used to see signs banning people carrying Durian on the trains before.

One thing that gets me is the lines at Siam during the week, the platform is so crowded, then people who come up the escalator cannot get onto the platform quick enough, this causes people behind them to also be unable to step off the escalator, which in turn could cause major injuries to people.

More like a perfect example of a ignorant farang .....durian smells and nowere in asia allows it in hotels or other places were it could annoy others...and here is the important bit did you ever consider that you put your self before everyone else !!!...I have choice words for the likes of you and I sadly observe ignoramace behavior like this to often in Thailand now from farang s....me,me,me,me and be carefull of the security on bts as they are prone to knocking sense into ignorant farangs ....thankfully

The Security on BTS are prone to knocking sense into ignorant farangs?

Really?

Sorry, but I do not believe that for one second.

• Like 1

First (as I dont know), are we allowed to bring ballons into the BTS?

2nd, first time I heard (seen) this, after years with BTS in operation, and probably 100 000s of unpleasent travelers using it.

Anyhow, for the OP: How did they know about your Durian? Where you chewing on it?

Balloons on a packed BTS... ? Doesn't really work does it.
Is it allowed?

I believe that the reason for balloons being banned is that if they're helium-filled & made of aluminium foil, they can get caught in & then short-cicuit the overhead electrical wires if released by the owner. Seems to be a reasonable precaution for the BTS to take.

It was very kind of the BTS official to allow you to save face like this. I hope you thanked him.

agreed. OP, next time try being considerate of others and take a taxi (with the durian in the boot). taking durian into an airconditioned public space is being pretty inconsiderate. they do have a sign for it.....durian is food. food is banned on the BTS. so i would say it's NOT ok to take durian on the BTS. you were just lucky the staff helped you save face in this instance. nothing ting tong about it.

I believe that the reason for balloons being banned is that if they're helium-filled & made of aluminium foil, they can get caught in & then short-cicuit the overhead electrical wires if released by the owner. Seems to be a reasonable precaution for the BTS to take.

It might be reasonable if the BTS used an over-head concatenated electrical delivery system like SARL, but of course it does not. The BTS uses a "third-rail" induction system.

Not sure what the issue was with the balloons? Obviously space, maybe scaring people when they pop, or they could be filled with dangerous gases by do-baders?

agreed. OP, next time try being considerate of others and take a taxi (with the durian in the boot). taking durian into an airconditioned public space is being pretty inconsiderate. they do have a sign for it.....durian is food. food is banned on the BTS. so i would say it's NOT ok to take durian on the BTS. you were just lucky the staff helped you save face in this instance. nothing ting tong about it.

I don't think transporting food purchases is banned on the BTS? I think consuming food/drinks is banned. Obviously many, many, many, many people transport prepared food, and groceries on the BTS daily.

Edited by lomatopo

I can totally understand the ban of eating or drinking on the trains but a ban on food? How can I go shopping at supermarket and bring my things home without enduring the traffic and cost of a taxi. Think the signs should more specific, but then, no one will ready them anyhow!

I can totally understand the ban of eating or drinking on the trains but a ban on food? How can I go shopping at supermarket and bring my things home without enduring the traffic and cost of a taxi. Think the signs should more specific, but then, no one will ready them anyhow!

You've missed the point of this thread - it is not about carrying food in general on the trains. No problem to go and do your grocery shopping and carry it home on the BTS (I do regularly)

It is about Durian - which has a foul smelling odour, and I see it as common knowledge throughout Asian countries that you do not bring it into enclosed public places such as public transportation and hotels.

I would hope the OP has the courtesy and common sense to take a taxi in future on their durian shopping days.

Just because you got away with taking it on the BTS many times before doesn't excuse it.

Personally I cannot stand it when someone has durian on a bus/train.

• Like 1

Ah well, everyone's a winner then.

I'm sure if you're eating it or it's not sealed then all the moaners will have a leg to stand on but if it is sealed like the ones you buy in the supermarket in the little polystyrene trays in a plastic bag I'm sure would'nt smell so bad.

Ah well, everyone's a winner then.

I'm sure if you're eating it or it's not sealed then all the moaners will have a leg to stand on but if it is sealed like the ones you buy in the supermarket in the little polystyrene trays in a plastic bag I'm sure would'nt smell so bad.

No, still smells so should still be disallowed.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App