Tea Money Taken At Kap Choeng Immigration Office

Just arrived back from Kap Choeng immigration doing my renewal of one year retirement visa.

Did the combined pensions and money in bank for the required 800,000. Had all the paperwork in order.Letter from Embassy confirming pension and letter in bank confirming the amount in my account held for 3 months (which they insist on even though It only has to be in the account on the day of application)Letters from pension providers. copy of all requirements in passport etc.

When it came for time to pay, the officer said 2,000B. I said nothing at first wondering if it had gone up from the 1,900 but thinking to myself I just watched someone else do their visa and handed over 1,900B to another officer. When he gave me a receipt for 1,900B, much to my wife's disaproval I might add, I asked why 2,000B and receipt only 1,900B. The reply was it was for service for the 90 day paper. I replied I had never before paid for 90 day report and there is nothing on immigration website about a service charge for this. Ok he said if you want I give you back 100B. I told him to keep it, as normally I would, if the service is good and the official friendly, put the 100B in the plastic box they have which if you require photocopying you are expected to make a donation for, the money I doubt goes to pay for paper or electric or service of the machine but to buy food and drink. My reason for complaining was not a measly 100B but to let him know that I knew he was taking money for himself.

Maybe others have encountered this if not you know what you could expect.

My wife angry with me because she said it only 100B and man might not give you visa or tell you come back tomorrow. Why complain.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Samui they demand you for 5000 baht.

And you pay it?

Don't you mean 500B not Five Thousand Baht. Can't see anybody in their right mind handing over 5,000B 'tea money'

I think if that was the case someone would definetely mentiond it before on the forum

Edited by Pormax
  • Like 1

One of the more efficient and friendly ladies working the desks at Udon Immigration habitually asks people handing over 2000 baht for the 1900 baht service if they want the change. Some of the punters (on another forum) call it a rip-off, others, like myself, consider it small change for good service (and good repeat service). I haven't been here too long and wear rose-coloured glasses, neither am I a Thai apologist. I would suggest that if one already knows that the cost is 1900 baht and doesn't want to appear to condone minor graft, then make the effort and bring the exact change. Those that come on a horse, want to change the way things are done here, don't mind making a noise and embarrassing their partners, please carry on.

Sent from the edge of the moobahn with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

As the Thai immigration officers are actually part of Royal Thai Police Force one would not expect this sort of blatant action. Basically theft, and if I had done same then would have looked at a stiff penalty. If he had asked for a tip then that is different and though I would hav,e thought it a cheek for asking would have said keep the change or if as you stated is done at another office asked if you wanted the change, then I would have said 'No, keep it' I agree it is a small price to pay for a good service. But the money is mine to give not for him to take. Rose coloured glasses are ok but sometime one has to make a stand because if not it will not be 100B but multiples of that amount next time such as 5,000B as quoted by another forum member.

As suggested by 'Poorsucker' next time I will attach an envelope to the paperwork marked 'Visa Fee 1,900B' and would suggest others do the same.

Meanwhile are you suggesting that when one is quoted a price for service or goods you should then pay more but be happy you are given a receipt for the quoted price?

• Like 2

The OP may have stood up for his rights just for the principle, but remember that the staff at Immigration have long memories.

If you believe that all the hassle is worth it for 100 baht, then go and get em, lay it on the line and ride em high, cowboy.

Who said it was a lot of 'hassle'. Read my opening post again.

Not more than a few words were spoken and in the end the officer still got his 100b but he also knew he was wrong and that I knew he did wrong. He won kept the money and both he and I saved face which is what Thai culture is all about.

When next time you go to immigration and they take a multiple (as in Samui) of what was asked taken of me then see if you still agree.

• Like 1

It would be interesting top have this thread merged with the one asking if Thailand should have a UK welfare system

In one country people think it is normal to pay for the services they get, in the other they think they are entitled to get everything for free.

Where do you personally stand ?

One of the more efficient and friendly ladies working the desks at Udon Immigration habitually asks people handing over 2000 baht for the 1900 baht service if they want the change. Some of the punters (on another forum) call it a rip-off, others, like myself, consider it small change for good service (and good repeat service). I haven't been here too long and wear rose-coloured glasses, neither am I a Thai apologist. I would suggest that if one already knows that the cost is 1900 baht and doesn't want to appear to condone minor graft, then make the effort and bring the exact change. Those that come on a horse, want to change the way things are done here, don't mind making a noise and embarrassing their partners, please carry on.

Sent from the edge of the moobahn with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

I often gave the 100 Baht as a TIP.

But not easy anymore, last time in Udon Thani Immigration, the highest ranking female officer seemed to arrive from brake time,

at 3:20 PM surprised to see a room full of waiting people.

Later the young male officer asked her, what to do, after my GF had forgotten to sign her house book copy, or her Passport? or ID card copy?

I let her talk on the mobile with my GF, but, NO! I was sent home to come another day!

I have a 85 km trip to the Immigration, -one way!-

Could not have signed that paper some day later, mixed, with a shopping trip? sad.png

I guess we are tighter minded up here in Chiang Mai. I hand over exactly 1,900 Baht because that's the fee.

That is correct.

At Chiang Mai Immigration, visa applicants are supposed to hand over the correct amounts of fees, as Immigration are not obliged to give change.

One solution is to hand over the exact fees and if asked for more, only need to say; sorry, this is all the money I have on me.

small change for good service many of you say, come on guys, where are the morals.

happy to tip, but if their going to be sly and try to take it they get nothing from me, its rude and disrespectful, and stinks of poor service not good.

when did good service include pocketing a customers money.

be fair, be nice, get a tip.

Edited by payak

The price for good service? No it is not, it is the price for actually doing their job and not screwing with you. The public servants receive a decent wage, job security, have a good pension plus freebies on flights, power etc. So you are paying extortion so you can get a smile and not be messed ariound, not sure how one views that in a positive light. The burearcracy are parasites that use the power the government gives them to extort money from both us and expecially the Thais, they are a leech on the working population, and contribute nothing what so ever to society or the ecomomy.

Pay it for convenience if you wish but please don't try and put a positive spin on institutional extortion.

Really? local governmet counter staff get "free flights" and a "decent salary"?

• Like 1

I enjoy going to Phuket Immigration, especially at yearly extension time, but also at 90-day report time. I sit there, watching the young tourists - usually ladies - being extorted out of 300 baht for simply asking a question about visas.

Even though it takes him only a couple of minutes, the Immi. guy says "300 baht" and the happy tourists hand it over as they get up. The guy then slaps the money on his knee and slides his hand up a bit and then down into his pocket. Ooh, he's so smooth. I could watch him all day (if only I had a secret camera and then post it on Youtube).

• Like 2

Disgusting behaviour by disgusting people.

Plain and simple.

Yes yes...totally agree!!

We should leave this disgusting place with their disgusting people and go back home to law and order.

So when are you leaving?

Someone's showing their intelligence. :rolleyes:

Don't blink folks, you might miss it. :D

Oh come on....100 bht!!

Whats that, $2,50 or something?

You're not living in England now you know.

Think yourself lucky Thailand doesn't have the same visa laws as your country.

Think of the extra money as "VIP service charge".

Ah! Someone who has been here long enough to leave their principles behind.

• Like 2

It would be interesting top have this thread merged with the one asking if Thailand should have a UK welfare system

http://www.thaivisa....welfare-system/

In one country people think it is normal to pay for the services they get, in the other they think they are entitled to get everything for free.

Where do you personally stand ?

I am a UK citizen and yes I believe in paying for a service - the quoted price, not the inflated (tea -money) price and usually do tip if I get a quality efficient service.

As regards the UK welfare system it is widely abused and the few that work hard for their money are the one's who suffer.

I sold my relatively successful business in UK as I was fed up paying 40% income tax 11% national Insurance, then having to pay extra taxes on insurances, fuel etc then paying a further 17.5% (now 20%) in VAT when others who could work, but found all the excuses possible not to, got everything free.

The first thing Thailand would have to do is get money in from the population in taxes. There must be millions who should, but do not pay taxes. Then of course there are the millions who are so low paid that to ask them to pay tax would cause a mutiny.

Yes I do believe in a welfare state but it has to be properly managed.

I do not think Thailand could ever do this not just because of the widespread corruption though that is a big factor.

This is unfortunate especially for the elderly and disabled and some other needy categories here in Thailand.

100% correct