Non-Religious On The Rise In England And Wales As Christianity Declines

News_Editor

Non-religious on the rise in England and Wales as Christianity declines < br />

2012-12-13 05:25:25 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) -- The number of people in England and Wales who say they have no religion increased by more than six million over the last decade, almost double from what it was in 2001, according to official results released on Tuesday from the 2011 census.

The results from last year's census, which takes place every ten years, shows Christianity remained the largest religion in both England and Wales in 2011. Muslims are the next biggest religious group and have grown in the last decade, but the number of people who reported they have no religion has now reached a quarter of the population.

Approximately 33.2 million people, representing 59.3 percent of the total population in England and Wales combined, identified themselves as Christian in the census last year. This is down more than four million from the 37.3 million people who recorded their religion as Christian in 2001.

People who said they have no religion increased by more than six million to 14.1 million, or 25.10 percent of the population. Similar increases have been observed in other Western countries in recent years, and the British Humanist Association described the results as showing a "huge shift" in cultural identity.

The religion question was the only voluntary question on the 2011 census and 7.2 percent of people did not answer the question.

But Reverend Arun Arora of the Church of England said the results show that England remains a "faithful nation", and said reports about the death of Christian England have been greatly exaggerated. "Despite a decade of nay saying and campaigning by atheist commentators and groups, six out of ten people in England self-identify as Christians, a figure which rises to more than two-thirds when including people identifying with faith as a whole," he said.

Arora noted that the Church of England baptized an average of 2,500 people a week during the last decade, marking an increase of 40 percent in adult baptisms. And while 253 churches were closed across England between 2001 and 2011, Arora said approximately 1,000 new congregations were started.

"Doubtless, campaigning atheist organisations will attempt to minimize the significance of the majority figures for faith and Christianity," the church spokesman said. "In fact, these figures draw attention to the free ride that had been given to these bodies whose total membership would barely fill half of Old Trafford."

According to a WIN-Gallup International poll conducted earlier this year among more than 50,000 people from 57 countries in five continents, 59 percent identified themselves as religious. Approximately 13 percent said they are atheists while 23 percent described themselves as not religious, but stopping short of defining themselves as an atheist.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-12-13

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some good news from the UK at last!

But read between the lines, and you can see the UK becoming a Muslim country before too long!w00t.gif

Not sure which lines you are reading but the above report shows 59.3% christian, 25.1% non religious and 7.2% who didn't vote. As I see it this only leaves 8.4% which covers Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Jedi and any others.

What are the Muslims like in the UK, can they express themselves as they wish to? Moving to South Pattaya this year I found out there is a mosque somewhere nearby, the Muezzins make quite some noise several times per day. To my surprise, there is even a female muezzin, certainly unheard of in Arabia. Anyway, Muezzins are not allowed or have to shut up in my home country, not sure, but you can't hear one anywhere. Can't build towers either above their worshipping places. Is it the same in the UK?

What are the Muslims like in the UK, can they express themselves as they wish to? Moving to South Pattaya this year I found out there is a mosque somewhere nearby, the Muezzins make quite some noise several times per day. To my surprise, there is even a female muezzin, certainly unheard of in Arabia. Anyway, Muezzins are not allowed or have to shut up in my home country, not sure, but you can't hear one anywhere. Can't build towers either above their worshipping places. Is it the same in the UK?

Please let me know where your home country is, because when I tire of being in Thailand your country sounds a better choice than the UK.

Lets just say the UK panders to their needs.

• Like 1

But read between the lines, and you can see the UK becoming a Muslim country before too long!w00t.gif

Try reading the statistical facts rather than leaping to unfounded conclusions, it will spoil your story but save you from palpitations!

Please let me know where your home country is, because when I tire of being in Thailand your country sounds a better choice than the UK.

No more than any other group's needs....but don't let me get in the way of you moving to lala land rather than the UK!

Moving to South Pattaya this year I found out there is a mosque somewhere nearby, the Muezzins make quite some noise several times per day. To my surprise, there is even a female muezzin, certainly unheard of in Arabia.

That is almost certainly a pre-pubescent boy, not a female. This sometimes happens in Arabia too, though it is not particularly common. I have never heard of female Muezzins in any Islamic sect.

No more than any other group's needs....but don't let me get in the way of you moving to lala land rather than the UK!

As yet the poster hasnt replied as to where lala land is, however for me personally his lala land sounds a better alternative to me than the lala land that the UK has become.

No more than any other groups needs, please tell me why I have never seen or heard of, Hindus, Seiks, Buddhists, Taoists, Confucians, Rasatafarians, or any of the other diverse sects and religions that compose the population of the UK on the streets protesting and bringing their intolerances to the fore in the same we as I see the followers of the religion of peace.

Heres a question to our friends from around the world, in particular, Australia, Canada and the US, can any of you give me an example in the last 100 years in your countries of where ethnic Chinese have taken to the streets to protest against the treatment they recieve in your countries?

If the Chinese can assimilate with such ease why can others not?

I may be wrong but I remember recently both David Cameron and Angela Merkel saying multiculturism isnt working, nothing more than the Dutch guy has been pointing out for years.

But as usual the politicians choose to ignore these warnings, guess its not politically expedient to them.

No wonder right wing groups are on the rise in Europe.

I don't know if it is becoming a Muslim country, but the weakening of Christianity might end up with a strengthening of Islam.

Why?

google Dewsbury v Lahore. Last visit home (Dewsbury,) I couldn't get out quick enough.

Edited by Mosha

The Swiss launched an peoples' initiative against the construction of mosques. The people voted no,so no mosques. We got a lot of feed back from neighbouring countries (European Union), making us think that they would vote the same if they could.

I wonder what would happen in Pattaya if the population were allowed to vote?

As yet the poster hasnt replied as to where lala land is, however for me personally his lala land sounds a better alternative to me than the lala land that the UK has become.

No more than any other groups needs, please tell me why I have never seen or heard of, Hindus, Seiks, Buddhists, Taoists, Confucians, Rasatafarians, or any of the other diverse sects and religions that compose the population of the UK on the streets protesting and bringing their intolerances to the fore in the same we as I see the followers of the religion of peace.

Heres a question to our friends from around the world, in particular, Australia, Canada and the US, can any of you give me an example in the last 100 years in your countries of where ethnic Chinese have taken to the streets to protest against the treatment they recieve in your countries?

If the Chinese can assimilate with such ease why can others not?

I may be wrong but I remember recently both David Cameron and Angela Merkel saying multiculturism isnt working, nothing more than the Dutch guy has been pointing out for years.

But as usual the politicians choose to ignore these warnings, guess its not politically expedient to them.

No wonder right wing groups are on the rise in Europe.

Not clear on why you think it was, in effect, OK for the Chinese to ‘eat shit” due to discrimination and marginislation. Legislation was put in place for their human rights so they could “assimilate” into society. Perhaps legislation would have been enacted in a faster tempo if they made made more rigorous protests.

In Australia the Chinese community actively protested against prejudice. Chinese immigration had been restricted by Government policy from as early as the 1850s, but it was the 1901 White Australia Policy – that significantly hindered the entry of non-Europeans, including the Chinese. This policy was finally legally rescinded in 1973.

For American Chinese discrimination and protests go to:

http://www.zakkeith....ry-timeline.htm

For Canada Chinese discrimination and protests

http://www.thecanadi...rticles/chinese

Edited by simple1

Not clear on why you think it was, in effect, OK for the Chinese to ‘eat shit” due to discrimination and marginislation. Legislation was put in place for their human rights so they could “assimilate” into society. Perhaps legislation would have been enacted in a faster tempo if they made made more rigorous protests.

In Australia the Chinese community actively protested against prejudice. Chinese immigration had been restricted by Government policy from as early as the 1850s, but it was the 1901 White Australia Policy – that significantly hindered the entry of non-Europeans, including the Chinese. This policy was finally legally rescinded in 1973.

I dont think I said it was ok for the Chinese "to eat shit"

Thanks for pointing me to those links, couldnt find anything about the UK, I understand that was for ethnic reasons not religious.

I am also aware of the inter Muslim problems in Australia that go back at least 20 years, nothing whatsover to do with Australians.

As mentioned before every other group apart from the followers of the religion of peace arent carrying out honour killings or whisking their teenage daughters pack to their homelands to partake in arranged marriages.

If these followers of the religion of peace hate us and our values so much,please explain why they choose to live in "the darkness" instead of "the light"?

One of the best approaches for a Muslim living in these countries is patience. As long as he agrees to live in a non-Muslim country, he is never to rebel against the people living in his choice of residence, even it seems to hard for him to endure.

taken from here,

http://www.muslimaccess.com/articles/misc/non-muslim_countries.asp

even more frightening is this,

Only last year Shaikh Farsi in a conference here in the UK said, as Shaikh Suhaib Hasan ibn Abdul Ghafaar in Britain has also mentioned, the only reason a Muslim should be residing in a non-Muslim land is for the purpose of Da'wah. This should be the only objective.

taken from here

http://www.paklinks.com/gs/religion-and-scripture/38800-a-fatwa-regarding-muslims-living-in-nonmuslim-countries.html

this,

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=88559

taken from this site,

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=fatwa&tab=1&vPart=379&startno=40

The Swiss launched an peoples' initiative against the construction of mosques. The people voted no,so no mosques. We got a lot of feed back from neighbouring countries (European Union), making us think that they would vote the same if they could.

I always thought that Switzerland was a tolerant country that respected people's rights and freedoms; including freedom of religion.

From the above post it seems I was wrong.

Every religion has it's fanatics, and Islam is no exception. But the vast majority of Muslims in the UK live in peace and harmony with their neighbours.

I know this from personal experience. I live in an area with a large Muslim population, it has that population because it is where the first purpose built mosque in the UK, actually in Northern Europe, was built.

It was built and opened in 1889. Muslims in the UK are nothing new.

We also have the first purpose built Muslim cemetery in the UK.

The plaque on the wall begins

THIS ENCLOSURE WAS BUILT IN

1915 AS A BURIAL GROUND FOR

INDIAN SOLDIERS WHO LOST

THEIR LIVES IN SERVICE TO

THIS COUNTRY DURING THE

GREAT WAR. THE GRAVES HAVE

BEEN REMOVED BUT THE WALLS

REMAIN AS A REMINDER OF THAT

SACRIFICE ...............

(There was no Pakistan in those days, what is now Pakistan was part of India.)

Muslims are still serving, and dying for, this country today.

Considering the local resident population in Pattaya (not transients workers in hotels, bars etc) has a large Thai Muslim component, some of whom work in Amphurs and local politics you may not like the results. In any case why would you want to promote Western intolerance in Pattaya.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

I always thought that Switzerland was a tolerant country that respected people's rights and freedoms; including freedom of religion.

From the above post it seems I was wrong.

Every religion has it's fanatics, and Islam is no exception. But the vast majority of Muslims in the UK live in peace and harmony with their neighbours.

I know this from personal experience. I live in an area with a large Muslim population, it has that population because it is where the first purpose built mosque in the UK, actually in Northern Europe, was built.

It was built and opened in 1889. Muslims in the UK are nothing new.

We also have the first purpose built Muslim cemetery in the UK.

The plaque on the wall begins

THIS ENCLOSURE WAS BUILT IN

1915 AS A BURIAL GROUND FOR

INDIAN SOLDIERS WHO LOST

THEIR LIVES IN SERVICE TO

THIS COUNTRY DURING THE

GREAT WAR. THE GRAVES HAVE

BEEN REMOVED BUT THE WALLS

REMAIN AS A REMINDER OF THAT

SACRIFICE ...............

(There was no Pakistan in those days, what is now Pakistan was part of India.)

Muslims are still serving, and dying for, this country today.

My home village high school is now muslim majority. The white villlagers try to send their kids to Ossett and Horbury. That doesn't sound harmonious to me.

Well if the UK does turn Muslim where does that leave the Queen? Mind you the Pomms giving up that aweful warm beer for bowing to Mecca 5 tmes a day may not be a bad idea. Aso the "I divorce thee" 3 times will certainly help the UK men become less impoverished, perhaps less over here? Aside from that Muslim countries tend to be economic powerhouses so nothing but good times ahead economically, lucky b*stards, wish I could be there.

Germany. The other German-speaking countries have similar laws. Only church bells are ok, not negotiable. Our Muslims are mostly Turks, they start as moderates, and a generation or two down the line they usually become atheists.

Well if the UK does turn Muslim where does that leave the Queen? Mind you the Pomms giving up that aweful warm beer for bowing to Mecca 5 tmes a day may not be a bad idea. Aso the "I divorce thee" 3 times will certainly help the UK men become less impoverished, perhaps less over here? Aside from that Muslim countries tend to be economic powerhouses so nothing but good times ahead economically, lucky b*stards, wish I could be there.

Well that's one saving grace you are not there!

By numbers, not choice!

From the census data, 4.8% of the population of England and Wales are Muslim.

As I said before, the first mosque in the UK opened in 1889.

So in 122 years the Muslim population has grown to just 4.8% of the population.

At that rate it will take a long time before the UK is a majority Muslim country, if at all.

I dont think I said it was ok for the Chinese "to eat shit"

Thanks for pointing me to those links, couldnt find anything about the UK, I understand that was for ethnic reasons not religious. I am also aware of the inter Muslim problems in Australia that go back at least 20 years, nothing whatsover to do with Australians.

As mentioned before every other group apart from the followers of the religion of peace arent carrying out honour killings or whisking their teenage daughters pack to their homelands to partake in arranged marriages.

If these followers of the religion of peace hate us and our values so much,please explain why they choose to live in "the darkness" instead of "the light"?

One of the best approaches for a Muslim living in these countries is patience. As long as he agrees to live in a non-Muslim country, he is never to rebel against the people living in his choice of residence, even it seems to hard for him to endure.

taken from here,

http://www.muslimacc...m_countries.asp

even more frightening is this,

Only last year Shaikh Farsi in a conference here in the UK said, as Shaikh Suhaib Hasan ibn Abdul Ghafaar in Britain has also mentioned, the only reason a Muslim should be residing in a non-Muslim land is for the purpose of Da'wah. This should be the only objective.

taken from here

http://www.paklinks....-countries.html

this,

http://www.islamweb....atwaId&Id=88559

taken from this site,

http://www.islamweb....=379&startno=40

I lived in Australia for 30 years & not aware of inter Muslim issues, may be there are, but never had any influence on my quality of life, so I don't get the point you are making. If you are talking about a very small minority with extremist links, fair enough. But it doesn't help that Australia has a sizable minority who are racists and bigots as experienced by my Thai wife every few months months. With the links you provided, I read them all and they are saying if you are a Muslim you must comply with the laws of the country you have adopted, so what's the issue? Regards Da'wa, that is also a practice of Christians, even here in Thailand, personally I do not agree with it.

Again from the links you provided all they are saying that if you are a practicing Muslim you should not migrate to a non Muslim country purely for the sake of materialism, so what?

By numbers, not choice!

From the census data, 4.8% of the population of England and Wales are Muslim.

As I said before, the first mosque in the UK opened in 1889.

So in 122 years the Muslim population has grown to just 4.8% of the population.

At that rate it will take a long time before the UK is a majority Muslim country, if at all.

Someone posted a link showing the tipping point of muslim populations. That 4.8% is misleading. Many towns in England no longer feel English. Dewsbury has a shariah court.