Amazing! It Works !

weegee

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic weegee, and fantastic work. Great story.

One thing to be careful of here is work permits. We've seen stories of people getting into trouble for just being part of their housing estate/condo committee. Doing volunteer work is another sticky area.

You'll probably get away with it, but maybe not. All it takes is one disgruntled person to report you.

wai2.gif

I realise what you are saying Craig, but thats not what is generally happening here....

Besides , why would you stop someone from lending a helping hand....Maybe i am doing it differently?????

Great topic weegee, and fantastic work. Great story.

One thing to be careful of here is work permits. We've seen stories of people getting into trouble for just being part of their housing estate/condo committee. Doing volunteer work is another sticky area.

You'll probably get away with it, but maybe not. All it takes is one disgruntled person to report you.

wai2.gif

Isnt this just "helping"?

Weegee didnt get paid, and didnt volunteer, he simply was pro active.

Edited by krisb

The point about the work visa might be valid and is probably worth noting. However...weegee has stated he garnered support of the relevant authorities beforehand so it seems to be a non issue in this instance.

The important thing to note here is that he has made his part of the world a nicer place to live and be in. In a small way he has made a difference and hats off to him I say. wai.gif

Mr weegee Are the cans still there? People wouldn't think of stealing them, now?

Greetings

Yes still there....some are rusting out on the bottom...But I believe they are going to replace whats needed after New Year.

Besides....steal them and face the Wife's huge watchdog as a consequence....no way!!!!thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The point about the work visa might be valid and is probably worth noting. However...weegee has stated he garnered support of the relevant authorities beforehand so it seems to be a non issue in this instance.

The important thing to note here is that he has made his part of the world a nicer place to live and be in. In a small way he has made a difference and hats off to him I say. wai.gif

Hey guys, I said what he's doing is great. Never said I wouldn't want somebody else to try this also. But it is volunteer work as it involves property other than his own. Right? And technically, that is illegal here in Thailand.

Just saying to be careful and do what weegee did...get the local authorities involved first and make sure it is OK. Especially the police.

Fantastic job!

Exactly Craig, I found that if they are told & understand first, then the world is your oyster....

So!!! when do i get my T shirt Smokie?biggrin.png ....lol

Yeah we want before and afters Weegee!

The pic you say you dug the hole looks to me the grass has grown back quickly?..trying to establish a time line thats all

The hole was dug first....months ago. Then trucks of dirt brought in to cover all....Grass seed was thrown over the lot and the photos are the results.

If you check photos you will see the grass hasnt taken in some places yet properly....THEN the trees were planted.... and as the grass grows I mow it.

Hang in there, the Village Headman is preparing photos of before and during, for the wife... could be a few days as this is NEW YEAR!!!!!

Hey guys, I said what he's doing is great. Never said I wouldn't want somebody else to try this also. But it is volunteer work as it involves property other than his own. Right? And technically, that is illegal here in Thailand.

Just saying to be careful and do what weegee did...get the local authorities involved first and make sure it is OK. Especially the police.

Fantastic job!

Craig that might have sounded like a personal criticism of your post but that wasn't the intention. I was more miffed at the negative comments of a couple of other posts but I didn't express it so well. wai.gif

• Like 1

No worries with Craig.....I know what he is talking about. he is right though, you have to check properly before you progress with something out of the ordinary,

or you can end up in deep S..t.

Thanks Craig for taking the time to post a point.

That sounds awesome that you just kinda took it under your own inititive to do that yourself, for the community.

Quite often I think about trying to do something good for the community, I don't necessarily know what, but I'd like to do something (Although whatever I do, might have to wait a few years until I have a little more financial freedom lol).

That sounds awesome that you just kinda took it under your own inititive to do that yourself, for the community.

Quite often I think about trying to do something good for the community, I don't necessarily know what, but I'd like to do something (Although whatever I do, might have to wait a few years until I have a little more financial freedom lol).

You dont need finances....just start!!!...This has cost me bugger all really except for Fuel and a few repairs as we went along.

To move a mountain you start by removing the first stone.....good quote....got me going.

Where are you????

Weegee your after photos show to western eyes a normal bit of public open space. HOWEVER, having spent a bit of time in LOS I can appreciate the effort and time you have put in.

As to the folk who spout work permit and so on, depending what visa you are on you can use this project as a positive. Include it in your next visa extension application. Use some photos and a letter from the headman or even better someone further up the food chain (preferably gushing) to show your engagement in the local community, having told immigration about it anyone trying to be a <adjective> will discover you have covered that base.

Good for you.

Weegee your after photos show to western eyes a normal bit of public open space. HOWEVER, having spent a bit of time in LOS I can appreciate the effort and time you have put in.

As to the folk who spout work permit and so on, depending what visa you are on you can use this project as a positive. Include it in your next visa extension application. Use some photos and a letter from the headman or even better someone further up the food chain (preferably gushing) to show your engagement in the local community, having told immigration about it anyone trying to be a <adjective> will discover you have covered that base.

Good for you.

Immigration is not the problem, the police are.

• Like 1

Update :-------

News Years Day....community centre was completely cleared of any rubbish left lying around after the festivities on New Year's eve, and placed in the bins provided.

Today ( by 4pm) all the bins in the area were emptied by the truck that comes around weekly...

End result....the place looks as clean as before New Years.....Amazing it really works!!!!!

Thanks to all that took an interest in this Post....

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone who is interested....Dont know if the mods will allow me but...here's hoping.

The Kubota Lawn Ranger i have (diesel and completely rebuilt) is surplus to requirements now.

I would like to see it go to an expat, who can use trouble free for years. I will dispose of it a lot cheaper than i have spent.

If your interested please send me message and i will discuss there

In my experience I believe in listening to a balanced response that represents the views of all.

Of all.

To reject negative comments is to request to hear what you want to hear and that may not be a full and enlightening picture. let alone anything like the simple truth.

The actual fact is tht whilst I totally commend your actions it remains far too easy for any of us to upset our neighbours. And in some cases good community actions can do just that.

For example, It can be interpreted that your actions are provocative and critical of the community. You believe the place to need cleaning; to be dirty. Therefore are you not implying that the residents are themselves responsible and 'dirty'too? If that were the case then you may well upset someone who doesn't agree with you. Also, the very fact you have the time and money to spend on such un-neccesary and luxurious items can incite and offend the less priviledged.

Personally, I remain more circumspect and cautious regarding outward actions that impact upon others, however well intentioned.

Like I say ........... you can reject that as being negative as I disagree with your actions.

Are you taking the piss?

x2

Haven't read all of this and not sure which Provence your in but in Udon Thani we have a bi annual tidy village competition with a 1,000,000 baht 1st prize. Would be worth your while entering such an event, creates more local pride and once the work is done (you have completed that part) they seem to maintain cleanliness.

Our village of Ban Sai Mun came in 2nd last year (a 700,000 Baht prize) plus prizes along the way (winning best in the Tambon and best in the Amphoe), makes me proud of TW and all the villagers to hear comments from Farang who visit me.

Well done to you, sir.

• Like 1

there was a 5 days event held at the community centre here just recently, hundreds attended....the day after it finished, the people here started(about 8am) taking down all the temporary buildings and by 1.30pm there wasnt a sign it had been held, and not a sign of rubbish anywhere....Clean as a whistle, so to speak.

So thats twice now....

Haven't read all of this and not sure which Provence your in but in Udon Thani we have a bi annual tidy village competition with a 1,000,000 baht 1st prize. Would be worth your while entering such an event, creates more local pride and once the work is done (you have completed that part) they seem to maintain cleanliness.

Our village of Ban Sai Mun came in 2nd last year (a 700,000 Baht prize) plus prizes along the way (winning best in the Tambon and best in the Amphoe), makes me proud of TW and all the villagers to hear comments from Farang who visit me.

Well done to you, sir.

I am afraid I am a long way from there....but it's a good idea you have, to motivate the locals.

Havent onsold the Kubota Diesel Mower as yet, so if anyone in that area has a project and needs...message me.

Hmmmmm, I have had less satisfaction with my "clean up the neighbourhood" efforts.

When I cleaned up Chaweng beach no one else helped.

When I tidied up around and repaired the MIL's house the in laws told my wife that they didn't think it needed doing ( it did ).

When I cleaned up the vacent area across from our house, the tree trimmers came and left a huge mess over it.

When the nephew arrives for a visit, he leaves a huge mess over what was a very tidy area before he came. His parents aren't much better.

IMO few Thais care about what is outside their house.

Hmmmmm, I have had less satisfaction with my "clean up the neighbourhood" efforts.

When I tidied up around and repaired the MIL's house the in laws told my wife that they didn't think it needed doing ( it did ).

When I cleaned up the vacent area across from our house, the tree trimmers came and left a huge mess over it.

When the nephew arrives for a visit, he leaves a huge mess over what was a very tidy area before he came. His parents aren't much better.

Have you kept trying????? the first job I did was inside the house (rebuilt what was crap...then i expanded) slowely.

Dont worry about the MIL's place, same here. But now very different. Buy a waterblaster and get started....they get so sick of it, they do before you come....tee hee

Tell the nephew straight, what you want....if he dont like it....show him the door. he will be back, you have the capital....ha ha.

Up to you i supposesmile.png

Have you kept trying????? the first job I did was inside the house (rebuilt what was crap...then i expanded) slowely.

Dont worry about the MIL's place, same here. But now very different. Buy a waterblaster and get started....they get so sick of it, they do before you come....tee hee

Tell the nephew straight, what you want....if he dont like it....show him the door. he will be back, you have the capital....ha ha.

Up to you i supposesmile.png

< he will be back, you have the capital....ha ha.>

Not so. I give them nothing. The only thing I do for the extended family is fix their houses/ property when I'm living in them.

<Tell the nephew straight, what you want>

If I did that, it would probably cause a problem for my wife with her sister, so I say nothing to any of them- just moan to my wife. Personally, I'd be happy never to see him again, ever.

< the first job I did was inside the house (rebuilt what was crap...then i expanded>

Yeah, did that. Completely rewired the MIL's house electrics, but all the SIL had to say was that it didn't need doing. It very much did- was a death trap.

However, the SIL wants me to wire up a new room they built- go figure.