Does The Type Of Modem Make A Difference ?

pattayadingo

Having moved house and now on a 10 MB connection, I am still using my old modem - a Billion ADSL 5210S - that worked fine on the 6 MB connection in my old place.

Now, my connection fails about 10 times a day for several minutes a time. I've been in touch with TOT who have reset the connection at their end and that did not help.

Today a technichian came out and he says the Billion modem is not good enough for the 10 MB connection. Is that right or a load of BS?

They want me to buy a new modem but I'll not do that without further information from some wise heads on here :)

TIA for any relevent info.

The TOT technician is talking <deleted>.

The spec of that router can easily handle a 10Mbps (not 10MB) connection to the internet . . . provided it's in normal working condition.

Either it's faulty in which case you should buy a new one from a proper retailer rather than the rubbish TOT will offer

or

There's a problem with the integrity of the telephone line that carries your ADSL connection.

If it's the latter, then you might be too far from the exchange and therefore have to downgrade your package to a slower speed. If there's a discrepancy between the speed you're getting at the point at which the line enters your building and that at the router, then the building's internal wiring will be at fault.

The TOT technician is talking <deleted>.

The spec of that router can easily handle a 10Mbps (not 10MB) connection to the internet . . . provided it's in normal working condition.

Either it's faulty in which case you should buy a new one from a proper retailer rather than the rubbish TOT will offer

or

There's a problem with the integrity of the telephone line that carries your ADSL connection.

If it's the latter, then you might be too far from the exchange and therefore have to downgrade your package to a slower speed. If there's a discrepancy between the speed you're getting at the point at which the line enters your building and that at the router, then the building's internal wiring will be at fault.

Yes, my typing mistake on the speed :)

This is a new installation regards cables. As you point out the connections might be a different matter as might be the telephone line itself. When I moved here a month ago and ordered thew new connection they said I was moving to an area with the faster 10 Meg connection rather than the 6 I had previously.

The modem is on 24/7 and works great for 23 hours with d/l speeds in the 600's from the likes of The Box. When it does fail to work the PPP and ADSL lights go out and it might take 5 minutes to reset itself. Not long, but frustrating when it happens so often each day, usually when on e-mail or tytping replies in Thai Visa..

The modem worked perfectly well until I moved here so i am inclined to think that is not the problem, yet I'd be happy enough to purchase a new one as they are not so expensive but not from TOT.

I think another word with TOT next to get the line tested.

Thanks for the input.

Noisy lines or far distances from the exchange.

I would go with a broadcom chipset based modem such as many if not all of the D-Links or if you can afford one or willing to import then a Draytek.

Thanks. I'll look into those if I decide or need to buy a new modem.

Sounds like you have a line/DSLAM problem; not a modem problem. Have you went into your modem's menu to check your Downstream/Download Attenuation, Upstream/Upload Attenuation, and Signal to Noise Ratio /Margin Ratio. My guess is your Downstream Attn is too high and SNL Ratio too low which can cause slow download/upload speeds and if these metrics are borderline then it can cause intermittent disconnect/slow speed problems. Bad line metrics are caused by the line/DSLAM and not your modem. While buying a new modem might appear to fix your problem and make you think it was a modem problem, the new modem might only do so because it can handle the bad line metrics "just a little better", repeat, just a little better, but once the line metrics get just "a little worst" the problem comes back.

Edited by Pib

Sounds like you have a line/DSLAM problem; not a modem problem. Have you went into your modem's menu to check your Downstream/Download Attenuation, Upstream/Upload Attenuation, and Signal to Noise Ratio /Margin Ratio. My guess is your Downstream Attn is too high and SNL Ratio too low which can cause slow download/upload speeds and if these metrics are borderline then it can cause intermittent disconnect/slow speed problems. Bad line metrics are caused by the line/DSLAM and not your modem. While buying a new modem might appear to fix your problem and make you think it was a modem problem, the new modem might only do so because it can handle the bad line metrics "just a little better", repeat, just a little better, but once the line metrics get just "a little worst" the problem comes back.

That is something I did not think of. I'll have a root around and check that out.