Any Help Please! A Friend Seems To Have Got Some Kind Of Dodgy Visa.

Hi

Can anyone with a little knowledge please help. I have personally just been to get my fifth non-O multi-Entry Visa and to do so, left Thailand, went to a Thai embassy outside this country, filed all the stuff, paid the pretty standard fee for a non imm-O which is about 5500 baht world-wide and got the nice page stuck in my passport with Holograph on etc etc.

In another situation, my friend has just been wanting to get a non imm-O. His wife said that her relative could get them, so they didn't have to travel, and it would be done through the local immigration office. Friend handed his passport to the relative and was told the fee was 1500 baht, plus 5000 under the table to get it sorted. Friends passport goes to relative, then friend had to go, fill in papers and speak to immigration office. They said that it would take a month to do (during which his visa had run out of course). They then said that they would only approve it for one month initially, then after the first month they would stamp it for the remaining 11 months. Friend has eventually got his passport back with just an ink stamp in his passport saying he is valid to stay for one year and gives his exit date. no visa number, but there is a card attached to his passport now saying when he must return to immigration in 90 days, I presume then to get another 90 day chitty.

Immigration say it is a non-imm-o and now he does not have to leave the country for a year, just report to immigration office.

My questions are..does anyone know what it is he has been given? What happens if he does actually leave the country and then return? Why have immigration issued a non imm-O when everything I read says they can only be got at an embassy outside Thailand?

By the sounds of it there are a lot of farang taking up this service in the area, so it appears a nice little 'industry'. I am concerned that what has been issued is not legal and should my friend depart here for any reason for a short time and then return, he could face problems. He could have come with me for what I consider a 'normal, correctly issued' visa but was swayed by his wife. This is only his first application for a visa whilst here, as he has been here just a year now. Any help or info very much appreciated, thanks.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Did your friend have a non immigrant O visa entry and a Thai wife or child? It seems like a normal one year extension of stay with return after 30 days but normally would require proof of funds and price would be 1,900 baht using a TM.7 form. As this must be approved at a higher level it becomes even more suspect if applicant did not meet conditions for extension - but you have not provide enough information to know.

Did your friend have a non immigrant O visa entry and a Thai wife or child? It seems like a normal one year extension of stay with return after 30 days but normally would require proof of funds and price would be 1,900 baht using a TM.7 form. As this must be approved at a higher level it becomes even more suspect if applicant did not meet conditions for extension - but you have not provide enough information to know.

He has a Thai wife who he married 5 months ago having been out here with her for the previous 7 mths, and had to provide proof of funds of 400K I think which had to have remained unmoved in his account for 6 mths. Sorry I did not provide enough info, but as I know nothing about this visa, I was unsure what was important. I can of course be prompted by any further questions.

What exactly is the extension of 1 year for? I am wondering why I spend a small fortune (although I do thoroughly enjoy it) going to Malaysia to get a new non-imm O for 5500 baht when they do extensions for 1 year? The amount of 1900 sounds about right, plus of course they said 5000 under the table !! Can he still travel outside the country? I really thought on a non Imm O you had to leave the country every 90 days, even for 5 mins, to get the in/out stamp. Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Edited to add, he certainly never left the country for 30 days, or even one day.

Edited by GentlemanJim

He has a Thai wife who he married 5 months ago having been out here with her for the previous 7 mths, and had to provide proof of funds of 400K I think which had to have remained unmoved in his account for 6 mths. Sorry I did not provide enough info, but as I know nothing about this visa, I was unsure what was important. I can of course be prompted by any further questions.

What exactly is the extension of 1 year for? I am wondering why I spend a small fortune (although I do thoroughly enjoy it) going to Malaysia to get a new non-imm O for 5500 baht when they do extensions for 1 year? The amount of 1900 sounds about right, plus of course they said 5000 under the table !! Can he still travel outside the country? I really thought on a non Imm O you had to leave the country every 90 days, even for 5 mins, to get the in/out stamp. Thanks for getting back to me on this.

maybe 1 year extension for marriage

The Thai wife one year extension of stay costs 1,900 baht and requires 400k in bank account 2 months each year prior to application. There is not other charge involved other than making photo copies and obtaining bank letters but to travel requires a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht single entry or 3,800 baht multi entry for period of extension. You must make 90 day address reports to immigration on such an extension of stay. Most people with a Thai spouse use this extension of stay (not a visa) for there stay here unless frequent travel for work outside Thailand makes it easier to use a multi entry non immigrant O visa.

• Like 1

maybe 1 year extension for marriage

looks like a 12 Month Extension of Stay based on having a Thai Wife.

Applied for and issued illegally at a high price.

Thanks Guys. I guess my concern, which may be unfounded is that I have always taken anything to do with my visa very seriously because If I had visa privileges withdrawn my entire life for me and my family would collapse. My friend is just starting out essentially and maybe I am unnecessarily worried, for him. They are planning to build a house have a family and stay here, the standard drills, so I would hate to see him come a cropper because some locals wanted to make a few thousand baht. It would appear that he does have a genuine stamp from immigration so I guess he is OK for now. He has promised to go for the complete thing out of country next year.

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Paperwork:

1. Two application forms T.M. 7 with two photographs size 4x6 cm. and Visa Fee 1900.-Baht

2. Copy Marriage Certificate

3. Copy Kor Ror 2 from amphur office (not older than six months)

4. Child's birth certificate (if any)

5. Copy wife’s house registration

6. Copy wife’s identity card

7. Copy passport, non-Im visa, arrival card.

8. Interview the husband and wife for confirming status of husband and wife

9. Map to residency (names of roads and house marked in Thai)

10. Picture of house and family, in house and outside showing house number.

With money in bank option.

1. Letter from bank same day or day before stating bank records, make a transaction just before to get it up to date.

2. Bank account must be in Husbands name, joint accounts will not qualify.

With Income in Thailand option

1. A copy of work permit

2. Personal Corporation income Tax (PND.1) in latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt

With Income from abroad.

1. Embassy letter stating your income.

All of the above in two copies, if not in BKK

No. Next year he can apply for a 12 month extension of stay based on having a Thai Wife.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Registry entry.

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

As said the complete thing is done at your local immigration office each year a week or two before extension expires by husband and wife visiting with TM.7 form and paying 1,900 baht fee and providing the normal proof of funds in account two months and marriage proof - we have full lists many places on forum.

The 400k must be in a Thai bank account in applicants name only.

"Applied for and issued illegally at a high price."

From what the OP said in his second post, except for giving a friend of a relative a lot of extra money, everything else sounded right.

The guy ended up going to the office to fill out paperwork. He didn't say whether the wife went with him, but I'd bet she did.

They gave him 30 days and told him he'd get the rest of the year when he returned then. Sounds routine to me.

No indication that any of the 'extra' money was given to anyone other than the 'friend'.

Terry