The New Expats - Fact Or Fiction?

beenitseenitdoneit

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a regular at Oskar since it opened, usually meet with some other old buggers, smoke cigars, swill Jack Daniels and sweat it out on the tiny deck while eyeing the totty coming and going. I can't say I have ever taken an interest in blokes in LOS whatever the generational tag is and certainly not there either. The ladies look like the sort that will btw.

Sent from the verandah with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

A myth?

of course not.

what is ridiculous is stickman writing about people like this like they are new or different.

Though i suppose an aging esl teacher may never have actually met anybody like this, i arrived at about the same time as stickman and was certainly not limited to the class room.

the article is a lot of hooey.

• Like 2

been to Oskars a few times.

I'm not really into the whole cocktail thing. Rather go somewhere I can get spirits or a beer, not some chocolate thing with an umbrella.

Originally started going there as I was hooking up with a french girl that met friends there after work. Also got a Thai friend that goes there.

Guess it is a nice place if you like cocktails?

Someone calling themselves "newbie" cites stickman and iron Ferries on their first post.....hmmm,m...Will you also log in under your normal name and answer your own post?

rereading the OP an number of times, the only person i can see calling anyone newbie is you.

and stickman is hardly news to anyone, Iron faries a little more so, though pick up a copy of big chili or guru and you will find a reference. It is hardly new having been around for at least a year if not more

I'm not really into the whole cocktail thing. Rather go somewhere I can get spirits or a beer, not some chocolate thing with an umbrella.

Originally started going there as I was hooking up with a french girl that met friends there after work. Also got a Thai friend that goes there.

you are aware they serve beer and spirits as well aren't you?

The menu is pretty good too.

It's a simple formula; better class of customer = better experience.

Nope (in my opinion) - can't see the logic behind this statement at all - I can't see that it applies anywhere, not just BKK.

Well personally I would rather be in Fat Gutz than Big Dogz but thats just me.

Thankfully its priced in such a way that it doesnt attract the Chang swilling slobs with their Issan teerak in tow.

post-47990-0-95085900-1355722916_thumb.j

• Like 1

The menu is pretty good too.

it is and they do a happy hour on wine which is really reasonable. for example a bottle of red which goes for 1400 at Ambar is 9 at Oskar during happy hour.

It's a simple formula; better class of customer = better experience.

Nope (in my opinion) - can't see the logic behind this statement at all - I can't see that it applies anywhere, not just BKK.

Well personally I would rather be in Fat Gutz than Big Dogz but thats just me.

Thankfully its priced in such a way that it doesnt attract the Chang swilling slobs with their Issan teerak in tow.

post-47990-0-95085900-1355722916_thumb.j

You need to change your image, this is a bit dated.

post-39258-0-38740200-1355725202_thumb.g

Is or was stickman ever relevant? i kinda thought he went stale many years ago ,trying to reinvent himself as Bernard trink type ,

Well once you remember that his readership shares many similarities with the Thaivisa forrum demographic - namely, lots of relatively unremarkable foreign males holidaying or living in Thailand to pay for sex with women of a calibre they'd have zero chance of nailing at home, paid or otherwise - then you realise that he's being as "relevant" as he needs to be.

What's the likelihood that the majority of those who read his weekly musings regularly venture outside the monger haunts of Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza, Walking Street or the beer bars and stalls of Sukhumvit to quaff champagne and cocktails (with umbrellas) at Iron Fairies or Demo in Thonglor? They may have seen many more of these "new" expats bouncing down the street or strutting through Terminal 21 and Emporium and they may be slightly curious. He's just writing to appeal to his readership demographic.

As for the lowdown on Oskar, Firehouse, Long Table, Muse etc., in my opinion, they're far more enjoyable than the second rate pubs and bars in the monger and tourist enclaves. More civilised, more discerning, no drunken, guffawing morons groping everything in a skirt and no Gangnam Style. It's a simple formula; better class of customer = better experience.

Although there are lots more regular girls, there are still a few higher-grade freelancers who tend to dress up a bit more but, because they can be spotted a mile away, they don't do as well as they would at places like Spasso or CM2 with the male clientele those places attract.

HS, well put. You are a man of obvious taste and style.

• Like 1

Someone calling themselves "newbie" cites stickman and iron Ferries on their first post.....hmmm,m...Will you also log in under your normal name and answer your own post?

rereading the OP an number of times, the only person i can see calling anyone newbie is you.

and stickman is hardly news to anyone, Iron faries a little more so, though pick up a copy of big chili or guru and you will find a reference. It is hardly new having been around for at least a year if not more

Who/what is "stickman"?

Who/what is "stickman"?

Really, you can do better than that.

As for the so-called new expats, the type referred to in Stick's column, there are plenty of them around. See them all the time.

Went to a Young Scandinavians meet a few months ago. Tons of well to do young people living in Bangkok were there.

Women, too. Very good looking, educated women with VERY good jobs.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

I wouldn't include Oskars in that list. Unfortunately, because it's a nice place, but somehow has been targeted by the working girls (nothing wrong with working girls!) almost from the get go.

Agree SeaVisionBurma the man is talented! Quite a career change so I heard.