Dual Pricing For Foreigners For Medical Care

BigSkip

Tradition of dual pricing with one price for Thai people and a higher price for Foreigners for medical care even tho we live here. In Satahip Naval Hospital there is a posted sign on the cashiers window, it says "Foreigners will be charges 50% more". I was also told Samitivej does the same or more..... Please respond if any info is available........

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You allowed to get Thai citizenship, if it bothers you.

If you want to remain as a tourist then the dual pricing is pretty fair IMHO.

Thanks.. I know the law.....but i probably will be dead before its approved, I was looking/hoping for something a little sooner like the results from the Asiatique Dual Thai/falang Pricing Gets Some Pushback! post............

Edited by BigSkip
  • Like 1

Thanks.. I know the law.....but i probably will be dead before its approved, I was looking/hoping for something a little sooner like the results from the Asiatique Dual Thai/falang Pricing Gets Some Pushback! post............

What exactly are you looking for?

Many good hospitals have a price equal for all. Bamrungrad, for example. Many foreigners travel to Thailand specifically for the cheap hospital treatment.

If you want even cheaper, go to one of the many government hospitals.

Why a naval hospital? Do you think it's fair that a retired navy guy should pay the same price as someone visiting from another country?

Do you pay taxes here?

What exactly are you looking for?

Many good hospitals have a price equal for all. Bamrungrad, for example. Many foreigners travel to Thailand specifically for the cheap hospital treatment.

If you want even cheaper, go to one of the many government hospitals.

Why a naval hospital? Do you think it's fair that a retired navy guy should pay the same price as someone visiting from another country?

Do you pay taxes here?

No I think a retired navy Guy does deserve a break, I went there because I am in the same status. I went there because I thought it would be cheaper than Samitivej Sir Racha.

And Yes I do PAY taxes thru a cooperation that owns my home and pay a yearly tax thank you very much.

Geez why so many F$#^*&^ Haters, the guy from the tourist post did get this Crap...............

You might be onto something here, you might not be.

The naval hospital is a public hospital - and as such there may be subsidies it receives for Thai patients that it doesn't receive for non-Thai patients.

You might also check to see if they are on the social security list of approved hospitals. As such, foreigners holding social security cards will get charged the same (often free) price.

• Like 1

The naval hospital is a public hospital - and as such there may be subsidies it receives for Thai patients that it doesn't receive for non-Thai patients.

You might also check to see if they are on the social security list of approved hospitals. As such, foreigners holding social security cards will get charged the same (often free) price.

Thank you so much......a breath of fresh air.. someone who is not a hater, I only posted to try and get some help for myself and others.. Please??? SSCards I am not aware of these or where to get.

• Like 1

Thank you so much......a breath of fresh air.. someone who is not a hater, I only posted to try and get some help for myself and others.. Please??? SSCards I am not aware of these or where to get.

Skip - you've got to be working to get a SS card. But once you have been working - you can continue making your own contribtions.

• Like 1

Many farang do in fact pay more in taxes than millions of Thai (VAT). Even the cheapest farang still spends 2-3x what a minimum wage Thai worker will. Many of us are not tourists. Perhaps tens of thousands. Some even have Thai children.

This is just ignorant. In situations where govt resources are used, this may be warranted. In the private sector this is just an opportunity to gouge.

Could you imagine an export business trying to survive with this mentality?

Local prices is 100

Export price is 150

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

The staffing, infrastructure & medical equipment funding would be based on armed services personnel based in Sattahip & for Thais living in the area the hospital is serving. Accordingly, as a foreigner have you considered why a Thai government hospital, funded by Thai tax payers, should divert staff & services for the same cost as Thai citizens? May be you could invest in medical insurance & have access to first class private hospitals.

You say you pay taxes as your a house, as I understand, is in a company name. From memory that's a huge 16k baht a year contribution to Thai tax revenues.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Since being in Thailand I had a 3 night stay in hospital.

Before being admitted was show room rates (only in Thai language) the doctor translated.

So definitely paid Thai price.

On release was given itemized bill for everything including meals and bottled water.translated into English.

For this service I would of happily paid more than a local but didn't.

Final bill was 18.000 very good value.

The staffing, infrastructure & medical equipment funding would be based on armed services personnel based in Sattahip & for Thais living in the area the hospital is serving. Accordingly, as a foreigner have you considered why a Thai government hospital, funded by Thai tax payers, should divert staff & services for the same cost as Thai citizens? May be you could invest in medical insurance & have access to first class private hospitals.

You say you pay taxes as your a house, as I understand, is in a company name. From memory that's a huge 16k baht a year contribution to Thai tax revenues.

Probably more than a lot of thais pay in taxes.coffee1.gif

Once again we have example of how some people can't bend over far enough to get the shafting they beg for.

There is a significant and very important difference between being charged extra as a foreigner to enter a national park and being charged extra for being a foreigner in a private hospital.

In the case of a national park you might not be able to afford the entrence fee or be dissuaded from going in the first place, thereby missing out on seeing a waterfall.

In the case of healthcare, the extra charge might be beyond what you can afford or might dissuade you seeking medical care you need with tragic consequences for your health.

Probably more than a lot of thais pay in taxes.coffee1.gif

I bet the many wealthy Thai people who pay far more in taxes than the average Western visitor don't spend their days online moaning about the cost of medical treatment. (This isn't directed at the OP who asked a reasonable question in my opinion, but at those who wibble on about how much more Westerners spend than Thai workers earning minimum wage)

There are plenty of Thais who would make most posters on here look positively poverty-stricken...and maybe, just maybe, they would prefer their tax contributions to go toward subsidising medical care for other Thai people rather than foreigners.

Edited by inthepink
  • Like 1

Once again we have example of how some people can't bend over far enough to get the shafting they beg for.

There is a significant and very important difference between being charged extra as a foreigner to enter a national park and being charged extra for being a foreigner in a private hospital.

In the case of healthcare, the extra charge might be beyond what you can afford or might dissuade you seeking medical care you need with tragic consequences for your health.

Isn't that why all embassies strongly recommend medical insurance for emergency & elective treatment. If you cannot afford medical insurance or do not have access to Thai Social Security, surely you should reconsider your long term stay in Thailand. I fail to understand why foreigners expect to obtain the same price as Thai's in government funded hospitals when they do not comply with the criteria for Thai Social Services.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Had occasion to visit Hospital twice in the last few months, was never treated or charged any different to the Thai sat next to me.

Wonderful care, extremely cheap by comparison to UK, I have NO complaints at all about the Private hospital I visit.

They even telephoned me a few days later to check on me ????....amazing ! and actually quite comforting to now that level of service is at hand at extremely low cost. (out-patient).

Edited by CharlieH

Isn't that why all embassies strongly recommend medical insurance for emergency & elective treatment. If you cannot afford medical insurance or do not have access to Thai Social Security, surely you should reconsider your long term stay in Thailand.

I recommend you commit this to memory, it might come in handy as helpful advice if ever you find you yourself are refused health insurance or treatment you need is not covered by the insurance you have.

Had occasion to visit Hospital twice in the last few months, was never treated or charged any different to the Thai sat next to me.

Wonderful care, extremely cheap by comparison to UK, I have NO complaints at all about the Private hospital I visit.

They even telephoned me a few days later to check on me ????....amazing ! and actually quite comforting to now that level of service is at hand at extremely low cost. (out-patient).

In 25 years in the UK I never paid a penny for medical treatment. Has it changed? Maybe the charge foreigners?

The hospital the OP refers to probably is tired of getting old sexpats from Pattaya, which is nearby.

Skip - you've got to be working to get a SS card. But once you have been working - you can continue making your own contribtions.

I didn't know that Samran - thanks. I'll certainly make my own contributions when I stop working.

There's a lot many people don't know about the social security - for example, my buddy with 3 kids didn't know that he could get 600 baht a month for each of them until they are 6 until I told him to claim it. Adds up to a lot of money.

Isn't that why all embassies strongly recommend medical insurance for emergency & elective treatment. If you cannot afford medical insurance or do not have access to Thai Social Security, surely you should reconsider your long term stay in Thailand.

I recommend you commit this to memory, it might come in handy as helpful advice if ever you find you yourself are refused health insurance or treatment you need is not covered by the insurance you have.

Absolutely, that's why I also have reserved funds for medical treatment. I also have a Living Will, so that my financial assets to take care of my wife after my death, are not severely impacted by the practice of many hospitals to extend life purely for monetary reasons.

well there goes that..........but thanks so much for a positive response!

In 25 years in the UK I never paid a penny for medical treatment. Has it changed? Maybe the charge foreigners?

The hospital the OP refers to probably is tired of getting old sexpats from Pattaya, which is nearby.

No sorry to say I actually have found it to be the norm so far with 3 other hospitals

And this hospital was?? Please inform us all..................

Many farang do in fact pay more in taxes than millions of Thai (VAT). Even the cheapest farang still spends 2-3x what a minimum wage Thai worker will. Many of us are not tourists. Perhaps tens of thousands. Some even have Thai children.

This is just ignorant. In situations where govt resources are used, this may be warranted. In the private sector this is just an opportunity to gouge.

Could you imagine an export business trying to survive with this mentality?

Local prices is 100

Export price is 150

Exactly what I am talking about........ I went to Sattahip just to compare prices with the private hospitals, I am NOT a Cheap Charlie, just don't want to be ripped off, I do have insurance which covers 75%, I pay 25%. When the dam international rep. shows up and charges me 250,000b for a operation that is advertised on its website at 50,000b - 100,000b I get upset! This was not Sattahip

Absolutely, that's why I also have reserved funds for medical treatment. I also have a Living Will, so that my financial assets to take care of my wife after my death, are not severely impacted by the practice of many hospitals to extend life purely for monetary reasons.

So you paid a lawyer to draw up and perpetually maintain a bunch of stupid paperwork that 90% of the population in Thailand cannot comprehend.

You must be both a genius and a long term resident of Thailand.

Do you really think a hospital in Thailand will maintain you without payment? Tooooo funny.

Just have the wife show up at the hospital admins office - NO MONEY.

BOOM - you're dead.

Talk about overthinking.

Best laugh on tv all day.

if you don't like dual pricing, complain.

There is the consumer protection agency, but there is also the ISO-standards organisation many businesses (and hospitals) like to show off. Dual pricing is probably against the ISO-standards and a complaint might lose them that certification. (But it is not the ISO that issue the certifications).

So you paid a lawyer to draw up and perpetually maintain a bunch of stupid paperwork that 90% of the population in Thailand cannot comprehend.

You must be both a genius and a long term resident of Thailand.

Do you really think a hospital in Thailand will maintain you without payment? Tooooo funny.

Just have the wife show up at the hospital admins office - NO MONEY.

BOOM - you're dead.

Talk about overthinking.

Best laugh on tv all day.

Read my post again. I did not say that a hospital will provide services at no cost. Yes you can have a perfectly legal Living Will (translated into Thai & notorised) in Thailand & you can register your Living Will with your preferred hospital. So before yet again posting completely uninformed comments, educate yourself. Alternatively you can remain blissfully ignorant.

Edited by simple1