Dual Pricing For Foreigners For Medical Care

BigSkip

You allowed to get Thai citizenship, if it bothers you.

If you want to remain as a tourist then the dual pricing is pretty fair IMHO.

Exactly. Sattahip is a government subsidized medical faclity intended for military personnel and for Thai citizens. The cost for medical services even at the higher rate for foreigners is still well below what it would be in local private hospitals and way below what it would be in western countries.

I'm fairly certain that most countries that offer free or subsidized medical care for their citizens do not extend that privilege to foreigners.

When I first worked in the UAE subsidized medical care was almost universally available to family members of persons working there, until it became obvious the system was being exploited beyond reason.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dual pricing is also against fair practices act which exist in most countries including uk

So I can go stay for awhile in UK and get medical treatment under the NHS for free?

Maybe as the hospital at Satahip was built and paid for by the US to support US troops in Vietnam and then given to the Thai Navy he does have some point.

The Statue of Liberty was built and paid for by the French but they don't get special visiting privileges.

Edited by Suradit69

You allowed to get Thai citizenship, if it bothers you.

If you want to remain as a tourist then the dual pricing is pretty fair IMHO.

Thanks.. I know the law.....but i probably will be dead before its approved, I was looking/hoping for something a little sooner like the results from the Asiatique Dual Thai/falang Pricing Gets Some Pushback! post............

What exactly are you looking for?

Many good hospitals have a price equal for all. Bamrungrad, for example. Many foreigners travel to Thailand specifically for the cheap hospital treatment.

If you want even cheaper, go to one of the many government hospitals.

Why a naval hospital? Do you think it's fair that a retired navy guy should pay the same price as someone visiting from another country?

Do you pay taxes here?

Do the Thais on holiday pay for hospital treatment in the UK?

Please, this is a subsidised hospital, subsidised by thai taxes that is.

I'm at least as fed up with dual prising & immoral stuff as anyone else,

but in this case it is immoral for a foreigner to complain about not getting subsidised healthcare,

much remind me of the tip beggars that resort to insults if they dont get a free meal

I use Bangkok Hospital Pattaya for my needs. Is this private or public? Are they the best value for the same service? I am very pleased with them, but might be pleased elsewhere for less.

They are private and considered one of the most expensive around. If you have found doctors there you are comfortable with and you are ok with the pricing then why change? They certainly are rather convenient if you live in Pattaya. My family and I have had more than a few bad experiences there but that certainly doesn't mean it's all bad.

The staffing, infrastructure & medical equipment funding would be based on armed services personnel based in Sattahip & for Thais living in the area the hospital is serving. Accordingly, as a foreigner have you considered why a Thai government hospital, funded by Thai tax payers, should divert staff & services for the same cost as Thai citizens? May be you could invest in medical insurance & have access to first class private hospitals.

You say you pay taxes as your a house, as I understand, is in a company name. From memory that's a huge 16k baht a year contribution to Thai tax revenues.

Which is 16K baht more than a Thai pays for owning his house

I use Bangkok Hospital Pattaya for my needs. Is this private or public? Are they the best value for the same service? I am very pleased with them, but might be pleased elsewhere for less.

They are private and considered one of the most expensive around. If you have found doctors there you are comfortable with and you are ok with the pricing then why change? They certainly are rather convenient if you live in Pattaya. My family and I have had more than a few bad experiences there but that certainly doesn't mean it's all bad.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and for your advice. Good to know....

The staffing, infrastructure & medical equipment funding would be based on armed services personnel based in Sattahip & for Thais living in the area the hospital is serving. Accordingly, as a foreigner have you considered why a Thai government hospital, funded by Thai tax payers, should divert staff & services for the same cost as Thai citizens? May be you could invest in medical insurance & have access to first class private hospitals.

You say you pay taxes as your a house, as I understand, is in a company name. From memory that's a huge 16k baht a year contribution to Thai tax revenues.

The OP has stated he pays tax in Thailand & therefore felt he qualified, as a foreigner, for Thai Social services/pricing at a government funded hospital. I was pointing out that 16k a year is peanuts. Thai government does not budget for foreigners, who do not have a B Visa & Work Permit and therefor eligible for Thai Social Services attending government funded hospitals.

The OP has stated he pays tax in Thailand & therefore felt he qualified, as a foreigner, for Thai Social services/pricing at a government funded hospital. I was pointing out that 16k a year is peanuts. Thai government does not budget for foreigners, who do not have a B Visa & Work Permit and therefor eligible for Thai Social Services attending government funded hospitals.

+1. Peanuts.

And poor Thais don't bear the cost of the government healthcare obviously. The middle and upper classes do. There are a lot more of them than there are Western expats, and many pay far more than a measly B16,000, so that the total share of taxes paid by expats is miniscule in comparison.

Thailand is being extremely nice by allowing expats to join their Social Insurance system after they work for a year and pay into it.

To All Posters: Thanks for the positive inputs, I posted for some help, not for a free ride, and not a bunch of crap! I thought this was a place to get some help, not be chewed from a bunch of trolls.

I did get some great info from a poster who sent me to the Red Cross Hosp. in SriRacha. Thank You so much!

I had various blood & urine tests along with a CT Scan for 11,000b. Much cheaper than Samitivej Sir Racha price of 21,000b.

First and foremost lets try helping each other next time instead of looking for a easy target. Maybe I didn't "word smith" the orig. post correctly, just looking for some guidance... Thank You & Happy New Year.

• Like 2