Ptt/jiffy Overcharging Customers

deesquared

Did you say anything at the time? If so, what did they say?

No, I haven't. The first time I didn't notice until I plugged it into my gas tracking app at home later. That was on Oct 7th. I had taken the pic because it is easier than writing down the numbers. Then when I visited that gas station again on Dec 16 I noticed they did it again. But I didn't have time to deal with it because I was on the way to a softball game. For me it's not so big a deal. It's just 30 baht or so. But in a car/truck/SUV that could really add up. I imagine they are making some nice extra money!

That seems to be a new wrinkle,I only check they put the Bht500 or Bht 1000,

in and that the counter is set back to zero before the fill.

So now I am going to have to carry my calculator when I go fill up.

It would never be in our favour,thats for sure

I also carry a small note book with me when i do the weekly shop,

write everything down that I buy and listed price, add everything

up so I know how much i have to pay, you would be surprised how

many times i find i have been charged twice for something,especially

at Makro, when they click the stuff in the trolley, but also at all of the,

major supermarkets, it might be only 20 30 50 bht although once it,

was Bht 186, I had to work hard for my money and no one is going

to diddle me,out of even 1 bht, How many times on here have I

seen people say its only 20bht !!!, but better in my pocket than theres.

regards Worgeordie

Yeah, that would be around 400 Baht extra for a fill up in my car so that is not a trivial amount over time. Why don't you try the consumer protection board. Send photos, location, etc. Don't know what will happen but would be useful to members if we see any kind of results for the complaint submission. Below is the consumer complaint form (this one for foreigners, that is it is in English). I know many will laugh about TIT, but I think it is worth a try as it's simple and just ignoring these issues will certain not get anywhere.

Complaint Form pdf

Office of Consumer Protection

• Like 2

regards Worgeordie

These days I shop only at Big C extra. I load my trolley, then go to the price check point and check all the prices.

Everything that is shows a different price as on the price label I seperate.

When everything is checked I get an empty trolley and proceed to the check out with only the wrong priced items, since they have a policy of giving them free. smile.png

• Like 2

Yeah, that would be around 400 Baht extra for a fill up in my car so that is not a trivial amount over time. Why don't you try the consumer protection board. Send photos, location, etc. Don't know what will happen but would be useful to members if we see any kind of results for the complaint submission. Below is the consumer complaint form (this one for foreigners, that is it is in English). I know many will laugh about TIT, but I think it is worth a try as it's simple and just ignoring these issues will certain not get anywhere.

Complaint Form pdf

Office of Consumer Protection

I have several good experiences with the consumer protection board. However I would advise not to make the complaint online but just download the document and hand it in personally since a complaint needs to be filled in the district where the offence occured. They have an desk at every Cityhall nationwide and they take things serious. And I can tell you that companies in Thailand are very well aware of the consumer protection board and the consequences it has if they get involved . Edited by jbrain

regards Worgeordie

Just think, with all the money you are saving, eventually you will be able to buy a smart phone like everybody else and return the small notebook and calculator back to the 1980's!

-Mestizo

I hope you are joking, just because you are a smart person,with a smart phone, why would you think I needed one

regards Worgeordie

Just think, with all the money you are saving, eventually you will be able to buy a smart phone like everybody else and return the small notebook and calculator back to the 1980's!

biggrin.png !

Of course, even this one has a calculator. There's really no excuse.

n112-1.jpg

No way I like living in the past,pen and paper are fine for me,dont need batteries ,and use my brain to to do the additions,yes its that

simple, Regards Worgeordie

I'm with you. I had the same casio calculator for 19 years. It served me well. And yes, I replaced it recently with ANOTHER calculator.

And another proper notebook. People with smart phones are fooling themselves that the 'smartness' rubs off on them.

• Like 1

biggrin.png !

Of course, even this one has a calculator. There's really no excuse.

n112-1.jpg

No way I like living in the past,pen and paper are fine for me,dont need batteries ,and use my brain to to do the additions,yes its that

simple, Regards Worgeordie

Reminds me of what happened the other day in a Thai market/plastic shop. I bought about 10 items and calculated the total price in my head using my brain. Then I proceeded to the check out counter where the usual clerk was gone and replaced with a hiso relative of the owner to avoid the 300 THB/day wage. The girl added everything up using the calculator. She was off by about 74 THB. I asked her to check again. Same number and off by 74 THB. I double-checked the price of one item I thought I had maybe misunderstood but no I was correct. By then there were about 6 people queued up to pay. I decided to pay and step aside and re-do the math with paper and pen just to be certain rather than embarrass the girl (or myself) and cause her to lose face. I was right. When all other customers were gone I approached the girl and showed her the math. She went right back to her calculator! I mean it was only a purchase of around a couple hundred THB! This time she used her expensive mobile to calculate and with a shocked look on her face gave me a "khor tawt kha" and handed me 74 THB. I guess some people can not use their brain to do simple addition.

• Like 1

After reading this I've checked my records (I do keep the notebook in the car tongue.png)...and it came out that I was overcharged as well in different locations about 3 times in last 3 months...not much,about 50-60 baht out of 2000+ bill....but if they do it to every customer,that it adds up to a nice "side" income...

So... at a different PTT/Jiffy station, just now: I fill up for 1000 baht, ask for a receipt, get receipt for 1000 baht, but they run the credit card for 2000 baht... Noticed it, pump girl was super apologetic. Just got her to put in another 1000 baht so the amount matched the charge.. (Or could have done a credit, but that seemed more trouble.)

It used to be bars and clubs that were iffy in billing customers.. Seems it's now the gas station business facing a challenge..

Just got her to put in another 1000 baht so the amount matched the charge..

You must have been running on fumes before you filled up. tongue.png

1000 baht only buys 33 litres. Most pickups have 70 - 80 litre tanks. Only put more in when there isn't much left in the tank.

Just got her to put in another 1000 baht so the amount matched the charge..

You must have been running on fumes before you filled up. tongue.png

1000 baht only buys 33 litres. Most pickups have 70 - 80 litre tanks. Only put more in when there isn't much left in the tank.

Yes, you're probably right. But still, 33 litres x 2 is 66 litres, so it must have been nearly empty. smile.png

A brilliant piece of detective work.

I have always suspected skulduggery afoot, as each time I fill up my vehicles, the prices fluctuate incredibly.

Next time I will carry a calculator with me.

Thanks for the tipoff, deesquared.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I did the math today on a motorbike top up at the Petronas just past Loi Kroh. All good I'm happy to report.

Did you also remember to check your change? laugh.png

Hehe I did actually. All present and accounted for!

Filling up is so complicated nowadays. Too much to remember. Probably drive off pulling the pump down the road one of these days wink.png