Chang Mai Just Makes Top 25 Best Destinations

waza

However, if I had to vote for a particular city based on travel in the last couple of years, I would have to say Luxor, Egypt because of the temples and the Valley of the Kings.

Luxor is very special and the more time spent there, the more fascinating it becomes.

After they close at night and everyone's gone, I'd love to pitch a tent in the Hypostyle Hall in the Precinct of Amun-Re, in the temple of Karnak.

Egypt has been on my next to do list for a while but seems like Thailand its always on the verge of a civil war.

Out of that list, I have not been to the South Africa & Argentina and would say every one of them there has its own merit...it's destination driven and not a place to retire, find your niche :-) I enjoyed every place and have great memories...life's experiences enhance the travel....

London - soak in monarchy fever....for those that love it ...no place gives a better soak of royalty than that

NYC - Love it or Hate it ...the culture and street watching is fascinating for me ....the people there are proud of being associated with a city and wear it proudly

Rome - For the Christian faith in me, visiting such a holy place was beautiful

Paris - the french chicks make everything simple look beautiful....forget the attitudes they make beautiful things and pastries

San Franciso - Love the markets, love the windy parks

Morrocco - Love all the spice souks even though I have no idea what they were...sit there and imagine civilization stand still

Istanbul - the kebabs, thenoise, the excitement on the street for something exciting around the corner

Barcelona - the Familigra Church, the acts on the streets and the excitement of tapas with girls that break out in dancing

siem Reap - go @ rainy season and have the whole place to yourself....immerse in the possiblity of one man building something like this

Berlin - the germans make the word efficiency 2nd to none...I love sitting at the train stations and people watch and see the trains come right on time

Chicago - the most beautiful hotels in USA are there ....structually a beauty

Florence - Leaning Tower, Doma, the coffee culturem savoring Italian street soccer life at the piazzza

sydney - the bridges, dressing up for a performance in the opera House

Beijing - My fav locality for hot buns, forbidden palace and the great wall at its mudianyu section awes you

Pargue - Blue Eye Chicks that walk with the longest legs in imagination.....

Las vegas - Vegas Baby ...you just feel everything is possible :-) well while you are winning anyway

Bora Bora - the most beautiful islands and blue seas......expensive food !

Shanghai - The most exciting city in China for a pulse of everything moving ahead at crazy speeds...soak in a park performance and eat xiaolong dumpling

Honolulu - Fav island spot to chill and relax at malls

Los Angeles - Hollywood and so great to chill at Beverly Hill chic chic hotels and pretend to be a star

New Orleans - Giant Floats & Parades & Jazzzzzzzzzz

Chiang Mai - My fav !

Dublin - Beer ?

only place missing in my books is Kyoto Japan...that place is magic.

• Like 2

Been visiting Chiang Mai for 15 years and now more than ever do not understand the fascination In the past, for me it was simply a place to escape some of the heat and enjoy the outdoors. Just arrived 10 days ago and planned on staying for a few months. The traffic is unbelievably frustrating and the air quality is not healthy. The car hasn't moved in 10 days and don't anticipate ever driving it here.

I'm not interested in cooking schools or seeing temples. Most are just fake tourist attractions and offer little authentic value. Not that I would really get off if there were lots of authentic temples. Really no different than old Christian churches and I don't even bother visiting them on Sundays.

I may have anger management issues but this town is far from spectacular. Think about it. Family comes to town for three days. Where would you take them? Doi Suthep, the castle, river rafting(floating) ... I would rather have a root canal.

post-64232-0-69406900-1355987952_thumb.j

• Like 2

the simplicity of nothing....is the reason why I love chiang mai...I like coming here to de-zone and live the simple life, chilling out at a small cafe where no one knows me, shopping at rimping, getting a massage afternoon nap with a bunch of noisy women chatting, sitting at Swensen at ariport plaza and watch everyone play with their smartphones...

I enjoy the northern hospitality charm of peace ( out os the moat ;-p) and the charms of the women up north. That for me is the attraction of CM. For me CM sums up the best of the western comforts and Indochina beauty.

• Like 2

Seriously, Chiang Mai??? Horrendous pollution and what is spectacular. Been visiting Chiang Mai for 15 years and now more than ever do not understand the fascination In the past, for me it was simply a place to escape some of the heat and enjoy the outdoors. Just arrived 10 days ago and planned on staying for a few months. The traffic is unbelievably frustrating and the air quality is not healthy. The car hasn't moved in 10 days and don't anticipate ever driving it here.

I'm not interested in cooking schools or seeing temples. Most are just fake tourist attractions and offer little authentic value. Not that I would really get off if there were lots of authentic temples. Really no different than old Christian churches and I don't even bother visiting them on Sundays.

I'm thinking about buying a rifle and taking out the idiots that are constantly throttling there stupid big bikes. I may have anger management issues but this town is far from spectacular. Think about it. Family comes to town for three days. Where would you take them? Doi Suthep, the castle, river rafting(floating) ... I would rather have a root canal.

So why DO you come here?

Read the first paragraph. Not too difficult to comprehend. This will be my last year because of the reasons I also listed in the first paragraph. Funny, some just have difficulty comprehending :)

So do tell - why do you come?

the simplicity of nothing....is the reason why I love chiang mai...I like coming here to de-zone and live the simple life, chilling out at a small cafe where no one knows me, shopping at rimping, getting a massage afternoon nap with a bunch of noisy women chatting, sitting at Swensen at ariport plaza and watch everyone play with their smartphones...

I enjoy the northern hospitality charm of peace ( out os the moat ;-p) and the charms of the women up north. That for me is the attraction of CM. For me CM sums up the best of the western comforts and Indochina beauty.

Do you have any idea how many contradictions are in your post. Simplicity of nothing - what does that even mean? Eating at Swensons and watching kids play on cell phones or is it the noisy massage. Where is this cafe where you chill? I'm looking for one myself with a minimum of auto fumes and noise.

• Like 1

Siamamerican - I don't know what you do for a living to be this angry in life :-)

For me I lead 8 months on the road around the world on project work for my clients living out of one hand carry luggage, I read about 200 - 300 emails a day all asking for decisions that should have been made yesterday. I have to ration my movies onboard the plane so that I have enough to watch on each flight since most airlines only update their movie database every month. I spend every night in a new bed @ hotels or on a plane and if the hotels are launching a new pillow, I would normally be asked to try it out....

For me, coming to CM for 4 months in a year to just sit at a cafe without having to rush to the next meeting, seeing the happy children play in a local market, or the university girls all giggling at the Nimman Cafes are all examples of life at its most simple form. It gives me great pleasure to escape to CM even during the smoggy months to relax in a world where no one knows me

If you understand my job, you will probably empathize why even eating at Swenson after lunch without someone sending you a message is a treat I enjoy.

My family and friends normally viist in my 4 mths here and I seem to be able to bring them to some very nice places to relax ...you need to chill mate :-) my best friend came from Singapore in July with a high BP problem regularly @ 180 on medication. the first day he was in CM it dropped to 160 and by the time he left 5 days later it came down to 120 just by walking slower, think slower, chill ......so it must work :-)

Forget abt the guns....buy yourself a swenson pop stick and enjoy life

Love the pictures winnie !

Seriously, Chiang Mai??? Horrendous pollution and what is spectacular. Been visiting Chiang Mai for 15 years and now more than ever do not understand the fascination In the past, for me it was simply a place to escape some of the heat and enjoy the outdoors. Just arrived 10 days ago and planned on staying for a few months. The traffic is unbelievably frustrating and the air quality is not healthy. The car hasn't moved in 10 days and don't anticipate ever driving it here.

I'm thinking about buying a rifle and taking out the idiots that are constantly throttling there stupid big bikes. I may have anger management issues but this town is far from spectacular. Think about it. Family comes to town for three days. Where would you take them? Doi Suthep, the castle, river rafting(floating) ... I would rather have a root canal.

So why DO you come here?

Read the first paragraph. Not too difficult to comprehend. This will be my last year because of the reasons I also listed in the first paragraph. Funny, some just have difficulty comprehending smile.png

I read the whole post and still do not understand why you come to Chiang Mai.

I live in CM and love it. The people are overall pretty friendly, cost of living is low, the weather is nice.

• Like 1

For me, coming to CM for 4 months in a year to just sit at a cafe without having to rush to the next meeting, seeing the happy children play in a local market, or the university girls all giggling at the Nimman Cafes are all examples of life at its most simple form.

OT but wow. Perspectives like this make me happy to be of an older generation and gardening up in the hills or living on my sail boat.

So why DO you come here?

Read the first paragraph. Not too difficult to comprehend. This will be my last year because of the reasons I also listed in the first paragraph. Funny, some just have difficulty comprehending smile.png

I live in CM and love it. The people are overall pretty friendly, cost of living is low, the weather is nice.

Agree, the people are nice, costs are low, and the weather is nice. Still don't understand how you can't understand my reasons I came to CM and how it now is no longer appealing I am avid runner and enjoy the outdoors. CM no longer is a place where I can do either without dodging cars and sucking in fumes. Even 10 years ago it had a laid back atmosphere but tourism is out out of control now and with the Thais now joining the tourists with their cars has taken the chill out of CM.

Thailand will be a developed nation soon and I'm happy for Thais. CM though has evolved into a big city with awful traffic and pollution. It is loud and exciting but these are not why I came to CM. I love to chill and enjoy outdoor activities. I can go many other places to relax at Swensons or checkout college girls being college girls as the above poster mentioned.

The point of my first post was to question why CM is an excellent tourist destination. I'm still curious and haven't read any reasons that are too convincing on this thread. In the end, it seems, we just have a different opinion of chilling and enjoying lives simple pleasures.

So why DO you come here?

...Still don't understand how you can't understand my reasons I came to CM and how it now is no longer appealing

I never said that I can't understand the reasons you came to CM and how it now is no longer appealing.

I said I don't understand why you come to CM. But at this point I really don't care.

Siamamerican - I don't know what you do for a living to be this angry in life :-)

For me I lead 8 months on the road around the world on project work for my clients living out of one hand carry luggage, I read about 200 - 300 emails a day all asking for decisions that should have been made yesterday. I have to ration my movies onboard the plane so that I have enough to watch on each flight since most airlines only update their movie database every month. I spend every night in a new bed @ hotels or on a plane and if the hotels are launching a new pillow, I would normally be asked to try it out....

For me, coming to CM for 4 months in a year to just sit at a cafe without having to rush to the next meeting, seeing the happy children play in a local market, or the university girls all giggling at the Nimman Cafes are all examples of life at its most simple form. It gives me great pleasure to escape to CM even during the smoggy months to relax in a world where no one knows me

If you understand my job, you will probably empathize why even eating at Swenson after lunch without someone sending you a message is a treat I enjoy.

My family and friends normally viist in my 4 mths here and I seem to be able to bring them to some very nice places to relax ...you need to chill mate :-) my best friend came from Singapore in July with a high BP problem regularly @ 180 on medication. the first day he was in CM it dropped to 160 and by the time he left 5 days later it came down to 120 just by walking slower, think slower, chill ......so it must work :-)

Forget abt the guns....buy yourself a swenson pop stick and enjoy life

Love the pictures winnie !

Ah, the power of positive thinking! But the seasonal air pollution is a problem for all of Central and North Thailand, not just Chiang Mai, and there are problems with growth that can make one wary of the future. Chiang Mai is now like some 700 year-old adolescent (if there is such a creature) that is growing up too fast!

Edited by Mapguy

I never said that I can't understand the reasons you came to CM and how it now is no longer appealing.

I said I don't understand why you come to CM. But at this point I really don't care.

Huh? This is hard for you. Let me try to make it simple. I came because I liked and I won't be coming next year because I no like.

After recently staying at a resort "up north" that was highly rated by trip advisor, i would say say take all the reviews with many grains of salt, if not bucket loads. It was one of the worst experiences my family and I have had at a resort / hotel anywhere in Thailand.

agree the development is sprouting out fast but if you are willing to commute...once you are out of the city on a 15 - 20 mins drive, there are still lots of good spots to chill out without seeing another soul.

Siamamerican - do you follow stickman bangkok website ? There is a this chap called caveman who keeps documenting all these bike trails he is taking out of Chiang Mai and the roads all look deserted and good for you if you really enjoy running without seeing any traffic and fresh air.

Cheers

Lawrence

After recently staying at a resort "up north" that was highly rated by trip advisor, i would say say take all the reviews with many grains of salt, if not bucket loads. It was one of the worst experiences my family and I have had at a resort / hotel anywhere in Thailand.

IMO, Trip Adviser has way too many reviews that are written by the owners of the businesses that are at the top of their charts. Just look at the "top" restaurants in Chiang Mai. Very few of them are celebrated or more than mediocre while the better restaurants with good reputations locally are usually lower on the list.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Huh? This is hard for you. Let me try to make it simple. I came because I liked and I won't be coming next year because I no like.

Hilarious!!!

If you truly don't understand, and English is your first language, go back and read the posts. Use your massive intellect to figure out what I wrote. If English is not your first language, I understand the confusion.

agree the development is sprouting out fast but if you are willing to commute...once you are out of the city on a 15 - 20 mins drive, there are still lots of good spots to chill out without seeing another soul.

Siamamerican - do you follow stickman bangkok website ? There is a this chap called caveman who keeps documenting all these bike trails he is taking out of Chiang Mai and the roads all look deserted and good for you if you really enjoy running without seeing any traffic and fresh air.

Cheers

Lawrence

I know the site but haven't read his bike trail posts. I know the trails and hills better than most locals. Tons of trails here and just went on an epic 5 hour ride 2 days ago. Once I broke through the all the pollution which improved dramatically after Doi Suthep. When I reached 5000 feet (had my Garmin GPS watch) and dropped down a single track, I didn't see another tourist or even see a car for 3 hours.

I get others enjoy CM but for a person that enjoys nature and a little peace, they have to leave the city. That is what I do and if you are staying anywhere near the city center, It is a 1-2 hour ordeal just to escape the hectic city.

As you mentioned, you can live outside the city or venture outside CM to escape. My point is that CM isn't a picture of tranquility if you need to get out of the city to experience that tranquility. If my other posts came off as angry, sorry. Just fighting through a running injury that has me screaming in pain at each foot plant some days - LOL.

Hilarious!!!

If you truly don't understand, and English is your first language, go back and read the posts. Use your massive intellect to figure out what I wrote. If English is not your first language, I understand the confusion.

Happy to make someone laugh hysterically. Usually I have to put more effort into but not in this instance :)

IMO, Trip Adviser has way too many reviews that are written by the owners of the businesses that are at the top of their charts. Just look at the "top" restaurants in Chiang Mai. Very few of them are celebrated or more than mediocre while the better restaurants with good reputations locally are usually lower on the list.

Another thing that causes that is that Tripadvisor is heavily used by tourists, more than locals (Thai or foreign). So then you get lots of reviews of some boutique hotel's restaurant even though it's in no way remarkable, and/or overpriced for what it is.

Anyway I somehow managed to get myself banned on Tripadvisor, and I honestly don't know why and there's no way to get through to their support people. ;) So screw them.

• Like 1

I use tripadvisor quite a bit. Some posters are better than others just like many other sites. If someone gives me some information I like, then I look at their other posts to see if there are similar posts. If they only have one post then I kind of ignore that. Anyway, I find it helpful for trying new places, trying to figure out an itinerary and hotel selection, but I use other sites too. Also, they have a forum with locals that post that I have found helpful from time to time.