Chang Mai Just Makes Top 25 Best Destinations

waza

What a bunch of rubbish, since when is one person's opinion a fact? The article needs to drop the "Top" and it should just be called 25 Destinations in the World.

Let's not forget about the Lonely Planet incident where a former writer admitted to penning fake reviews.

These travel sites are more in the business of making money then they are of providing credible information to travelers.

• Like 2

This is indeed a travesty. Chiang Mai should be number ONE!

Of course, UG! The best bookshops in Thailand!

Kudos (a la zza009) to the man who said, "Don't come here!" There are far too many farangs there already.

Edited by isanbirder

Well, actually think for a minute and compile your top 25 destinations.

I actually agree with many on there, certainly been a few of my favourite places. It does seem to be bias towards capital cities though.

Nice that Bkk is not on the list; only C.M

as for London, well personally I dont like it, but its topical, and correct me if I am wrong but trip advisor is a British company so again a bias towards proximity maybe.

For attractions, hotels, restaurants and things to do can you think of any they have blatantly missed.?

for the record my favourite on the list Chiang Mai, then Rome.

It makes me wonder who writes this stuff, and if that person's ever been there. Nothing against Chiang Mai of course, but Chicago, Illinois? Turkey?

Geez, have they even seen Chicago lately? Pictures:

I don't get your point at all. Both Chicago and Istanbul are fantastic destinations. Chicago has some of the best modern architecture in the world, an amazing food and cultural scene, and super hot nightlife, all set on a great lake that is more like an ocean. No, I wouldn't want to LIVE there anymore (too cold), but a great city to visit. Edited by Jingthing

I actually agree with many on there, certainly been a few of my favourite places. It does seem to be bias towards capital cities though.

as for London, well personally I dont like it, but its topical, and correct me if I am wrong but trip advisor is a British company so again a bias towards proximity maybe.

For attractions, hotels, restaurants and things to do can you think of any they have blatantly missed.?

Auckland or Queenstown, New Zealand, perhaps?

I have been to 11 of the 25 destinations listed. My personal three favorites are Barcelona, New Orleans, and Chiang Mai. My least favorites are Chicago, New York, and London. If I were able to add one destination to the list it would be Pensacola Florida, specifically the Perdido Key area.
  • Like 1

I have been to 11 of the 25 destinations listed. My personal three favorites are Barcelona, New Orleans, and Chiang Mai. My least favorites are Chicago, New York, and London. If I were able to add one destination to the list it would be Pensacola Florida, specifically the Perdido Key area.

Depends on what you're into. You won't find much live theater in Pensacola! I've been to 13, lived in 2.

Depends on what you're into. You won't find much live theater in Pensacola! I've been to 13, lived in 2.

Exactly. I enjoyed Pensacola for the beautiful beaches, laid back general attitude, and a low cost of living. Also, Chicago, New York, and London are great places to visit. It was just when I started rating the places I visited, they were at the lower end. Just curious, which two did you live in? I am currently in Chiang Mai, and previously lived in Chicago.

Well London is the alpha city after all (it gets more visitors than many countries and frequently tops lists) so all you Brit haters can swivel. whistling.gif

It's an American site, though I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference... it's the people that vote in these things, including Americans. If it were British and just British people voting, you would probably find London further down the list believe it or not.

Only thing wrong with that list is NYC should be further down (certainly not in front of Barcelona or any big euro city with culture) and Florence, Prague, Dublin, Sydney and possibly Cape Town should be higher.

chiangmai is indeed a really boring and dull place, pretentious at best. dont come here

I take that as you and your followers love it here so much you do not want to share it. You are afraid it will change.

All nonsense aside one should always remember that the world is full of different people with different likes and dislikes and that as they age the likes and dislikes may change also.

Who knows in 5 years you might not like it here.

It makes me wonder who writes this stuff, and if that person's ever been there. Nothing against Chiang Mai of course, but Chicago, Illinois? Turkey?

Geez, have they even seen Chicago lately? Pictures:

I don't get your point at all. Both Chicago and Istanbul are fantastic destinations. Chicago has some of the best modern architecture in the world, an amazing food and cultural scene, and super hot nightlife, all set on a great lake that is more like an ocean. No, I wouldn't want to LIVE there anymore (too cold), but a great city to visit.

What are it's temples like. Are the people as friendly as Thais. Can you just relax there or is it a constant rat race. Can you enjoy a nice laid back vacation in your short pants tee shirt and sandals in between swimming in a great lake year around?

For my money I don't care a lot if it is a city where you can only go at certain times of the year That to me is not a holiday destination

Are they hundreds of years old.I will say that they at least drive on the right side of the road.

Well London is the alpha city after all (it gets more visitors than many countries and frequently tops lists) so all you Brit haters can swivel. whistling.gif

It's an American site, though I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference... it's the people that vote in these things, including Americans. If it were British and just British people voting, you would probably find London further down the list believe it or not.

Only thing wrong with that list is NYC should be further down (certainly not in front of Barcelona or any big euro city with culture) and Florence, Prague, Dublin, Sydney and possibly Cape Town should be higher.

Take the Queen and Buckingham Palace out of London and I am sure you would see a lot less vacationers. There is a lot more to see but when vacationers rate where they want to holiday London is like a one trick pony.

Seriously, Chiang Mai??? Horrendous pollution and what is spectacular. Been visiting Chiang Mai for 15 years and now more than ever do not understand the fascination In the past, for me it was simply a place to escape some of the heat and enjoy the outdoors. Just arrived 10 days ago and planned on staying for a few months. The traffic is unbelievably frustrating and the air quality is not healthy. The car hasn't moved in 10 days and don't anticipate ever driving it here.

I'm not interested in cooking schools or seeing temples. Most are just fake tourist attractions and offer little authentic value. Not that I would really get off if there were lots of authentic temples. Really no different than old Christian churches and I don't even bother visiting them on Sundays.

I'm thinking about buying a rifle and taking out the idiots that are constantly throttling there stupid big bikes. I may have anger management issues but this town is far from spectacular. Think about it. Family comes to town for three days. Where would you take them? Doi Suthep, the castle, river rafting(floating) ... I would rather have a root canal.

• Like 1

Take the Queen and Buckingham Palace out of London and I am sure you would see a lot less vacationers. There is a lot more to see but when vacationers rate where they want to holiday London is like a one trick pony.

True, a lot of people go to see Buck Palace, the changing of the guard etc. but hardly any ever see the Queen.

If you think London is a one trick pony, I can only assume you have never been, know much about it's history or what's available.

In fact I have met a great many tourists from USA and Canada, who know more about London than I do and I was born there. North American's are generally fascinated by the place.

Think about it. Family comes to town for three days. Where would you take them? Doi Suthep, the castle, river rafting(floating) ... I would rather have a root canal.

laugh.png There actually is more to do, but I do understand your point and having just had a root canal, I do agree with these particular points.

I like NYC very much, but I love Florence, Prague and I'll add Krakow.

• Like 1

Barcelona and Prague which are mentioned on the list are two of my personal favorites. I went to Prague on vacation for about 4 days and liked it so much that I didn't leave for 4 years.wink.png I've been to Barcelona numerous times. What a great place.

• Like 1

What a boring life some people must have if they have to be constantly entertained by someone else. I never find enough hours in the day to enjoy all the things I do. In fact it's pretty hard to get any actual work done.

My guess is that a lot of people visited London this year due to the Olympics so more people might be voting for it.

Based on past years, I think Capetown (or daytrips from Capetown) should be higher on the list. On a daytrip drive along the southern coast of SA, I remember thinking that this is the most beautiful place on earth. Agree that Queenstown, New Zealand should be added to the list due to the wonderful scenery there. We must have missed the boat on Dublin as we would not have had it on the list, but we were only there a couple of days. We drove through Spain so didn’t get the gist of any city, but Barcelona’s atmosphere was very inviting. Prague is a wonderful old city – bridges, cobblestone-type streets, musicians and concerts, good duck and good beer. Of course, Florence deserves to be on the list for the art, museums and walking along the narrow streets you can hear choir rehearsals – don’t forget to have a gelato at least once a day.

As for travel the last couple of years, Istanbul deserves to be on the list although it seemed pretty expensive this time. We’ve been there twice now and there is still more to discover there. However, if I had to vote for a particular city based on travel in the last couple of years, I would have to say Luxor, Egypt because of the temples and the Valley of the Kings. Croatia is beautiful – great islands and Dubrovnik is something, but I really couldn’t decide which city I would vote for over another.

However, if I had to vote for a particular city based on travel in the last couple of years, I would have to say Luxor, Egypt because of the temples and the Valley of the Kings.

Luxor is very special and the more time spent there, the more fascinating it becomes.

After they close at night and everyone's gone, I'd love to pitch a tent in the Hypostyle Hall in the Precinct of Amun-Re, in the temple of Karnak.