Flat Screen Tv Screen Gone

WilliamCave

On my LG flat scream TV the scream is gone and was quoted 10,000 baht to repair Italy question is is it worth the repair? Has an one else changed there scream before? At the price of TVs here maybe it is better to buy a new one. The old TV is 5years old

TV's have come a long way in just 5 years ..... buy a new one but it should last a lot longer than 5 years which is another reason I would buy a new one. If you can't sell it for what it cost you to fix it it's not worth fixing. If you can I would fix it , sell it and buy a new one before it breaks again.

5555 have same issue with ours.the red light of death...will work by repeated power on off..then tons of ghosting...gotta buy a new one soon..cheap as chips now compared with a few years back..

Think it is the power supply as well as screen on our case..even .if you get yours fixed, don't expect any recourse if it fails again after a short while........buy a new one mate.smile.png

5555 have same issue with ours.the red light of death...will work by repeated power on off..then tons of ghosting...gotta buy a new one soon..cheap as chips now compared with a few years back..

Think it is the power supply as well as screen on our case..even .if you get yours fixed, don't expect any recourse if it fails again after a short while........buy a new one mate.smile.png

We're on our second LG flatscreen in three years. The first one lasted two weeks (until the screen died) and so had it replaced. The 'new' one now green-screens all the time and has to be powered on and off up to five times before the picture will appear.

We're on our second LG flatscreen in three years. The first one lasted two weeks (until the screen died) and so had it replaced. The 'new' one now green-screens all the time and has to be powered on and off up to five times before the picture will appear.

I am convinced it something to do with PEA supply, ants and gecko poop...smile.png

• Like 1

The size of the screen will for a large part determine if it is worth it or not. But look at the price difference with a new TV, as has been said a lot of improvements in flatscreen tv's since and the price also has gone down. Probably better to get a new one, unless it is a very large screen.

I am convinced it something to do with PEA supply, ants and gecko poop...smile.png

Definitely need to protect from the PEA supply, I've lost numerous electrical devices over the years and I suspect the probable cause is power surges. Always use adapter plug now with power surge protection. Not lost anything in the last couple of years so maybe it's working.

A quick question to anybody that might know: Is it OK to leave modern LCD screens (with LED backlighting, if that's relevant, which I guess it isn't) on standby all the time? I remember a friend back in the UK had problems with his TV when he did that but this was quite a few years ago. I always used to turn mine off completely but the remote I have now does not offer that option so I have gotten into the habit of leaving it on standby.

To the OP - as TommoPhysicist said, you know what you need to do. Hit the shops and buy a 50-inch whopper, the wife will love it! You don't need us to validate your profligate spending habits tongue.png

Edited by inthepink

Go on treat yourself for Christmas/New Year and buy a new larger set.

Was in a local department store earlier today (Laem Thong in Rayong) and walking past the LG store saw a large screen on display. Looked pretty good. Peered closer at the price tag and decided that I would have to buy a lottery ticket, and win to justify buying it.

Brief spec.... 72 inch LED 3D unit... Price 249,990 baht, yes 249,990.

Looked really good. Wife was asking what I might like for new year....

A new 42 incher costs circa THB 15K so go figure, 5 years of life sounds not unreasonable.

My folks bought a TV in 1963, and garage-saled it, still working, in 1980.

M yPioneer 7000baht DVD, bought at Tesco, used twice a week, lasted 2 years before it smoked up the house.

Was in a local department store earlier today (Laem Thong in Rayong) and walking past the LG store saw a large screen on display. Looked pretty good. Peered closer at the price tag and decided that I would have to buy a lottery ticket, and win to justify buying it.

heres it is 8699-lg-72-in_article.jpg

A quick question to anybody that might know: Is it OK to leave modern LCD screens (with LED backlighting, if that's relevant, which I guess it isn't) on standby all the time? I remember a friend back in the UK had problems with his TV when he did that but this was quite a few years ago. I always used to turn mine off completely but the remote I have now does not offer that option so I have gotten into the habit of leaving it on standby.

To the OP - as TommoPhysicist said, you know what you need to do. Hit the shops and buy a 50-inch whopper, the wife will love it! You don't need us to validate your profligate spending habits tongue.png

LCD on standby are fine however plasma on standby eat up the electricity however with the very poor elctrical supplies here in Thailand if I am not using the TV I always swith it off from the mains

Purchased the Panasonic 50 inch plasma 3d/hd/smart with 3 year warranty cost 34,000 bht best TV I have ever had for picture quality even got two pairs of good quality 3 d glasses Forget LG/Samsung/Sony go check Panasonic out you might be surprised what you see !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

LCD on standby are fine however plasma on standby eat up the electricity however with the very poor elctrical supplies here in Thailand if I am not using the TV I always swith it off from the mains

Cheers, thanks for your answer. Good point about the leccy. Edited by inthepink

heres it is 8699-lg-72-in_article.jpg

No, here's what's burning up the screen. smile.png

86a.jpg

Edited by NeverSure

LG is known to use crappy parts to save a few cents. Even the solder they use is lower quality. I guess they save around 2US$ per unit, adds up when you sell millions.

Especially the capacitors are questionable.

However it is easy to change those capacitors with better quality ones and very often this solves the problems. Capacitors are not costly items so most part of a repair bill will the the time spend.

Often when your tv stays dead or has startup problems the fault lies many times in the capacitors (larger ones) especially those found in power supplies or power lines on the circuit boards. Chips seldom 'die'.

Edited by Khun Jean

Power surge fried my Panasoic 42 inch and sony 19 inch monitor at the same time, both out of warranty and quoted as non repairable by repair center. Took them to local shop and after 2 months had both back fully operational. 620 baht for 19 ", 1200 baht for 42 ". Seems it easier to get you to buy a new one.