If I Have A Usa Passport Do I Get To Stay For The Fulll 3 Months?

Tourist visas (apply at a Thai embassy or consulate in the U.S. or another country outside Thailand) are good for a 60 day stay, but you can apply for a 30 day extension at a Thai immigration office in Thailand.

Or, you can apply for a double entry tourist visa (good for two 60 day stays but you must exit and reenter Thailand to begin the second entry).

As an American as said you get 30 days automatically for entering by air, 15 days by land.

If you plan to stay three months, you likely will be needing to apply for a visa.

Edited by Jingthing

You need to apply for a tourist visa. You will get 30 days without one, but the airline in the US might not let you on the flight without a ticket exiting Thailand within the 30 days. Visas are easy to get and you can get them by courrier service. Portland oregon is a very friendly consulate. here's the info, contact them:

Visa application porcedures, Portland Oregon.doc

There is no law that states you must have an exit ticket. Many people come to Thailand with no visa and with no intention of exiting from Thailand.

Wrong. Airlines can get fined and have to transport you back if you travel to Thailand without a visa or proof of onwards travel within 30 days of arrival (or 15 days for nationalities that fall under the visa on arrival rules).

There is no law that states you must have an exit ticket. Many people come to Thailand with no visa and with no intention of exiting from Thailand.

The airline is responsible for it's travelers regarding stuff. In UK l was warned by EVA desk staff that l didn't have a return ticket and might have a problem at BKK.

A single entry tourist visa is $40 or approximately 1200 baht. It can be extended for 30 days for 1900 baht, so the total for 90 days is 3100 baht. If you come on a 30 day visa exmpt entry and do border runs (15 days by land, 30 days by air) to get enough time to stay here for 90 days, do yo think that you can do it for 3100 baht? I don't think so! The tourist visa is easier and cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1

You have been very lucky or have had a valid visa for all your trips.

There have been many reports from members that were refused boarding by the airline because they did not have a visa or a return or onward ticket.

Edited by ubonjoe

Advanced Member is correct. I have never had a return ticket and have never been refused to board a flight. That applies to about 50 trips to Thailand.

And you are here on a retirement extension of stay (which you call an OA visa) and use re-entry permits to return per your previous post.

• Like 2

Advanced Member is correct. I have never had a return ticket and have never been refused to board a flight. That applies to about 50 trips to Thailand.

That doesn't mean you can't be and that others haven't been. Don't be stubborn about this. The airline IS accountable, and OP would be ill-advised to show up at check-in without an onward ticket if he hasn't obtained the tourist visa. I've ALWAYS been asked, and USUALLY had to show the onward ticket. Even WITH a tourist visa I've been asked about my intentions & plans. In fact, arriving with the TV in hand, even the Thai immo ofcr asked me about my intentions for leaving, although he didn't ask for any proof.

Edited by hawker9000

It varies on the return ticket,, Last feb I applied for a dbl entry TV at the consolute in Chicago,, had less than 12 months on my passport,, was asked by the staff,,, NO return tik?... No, am applying for a retirement visa,,, Less than 12 months valid passport?,,, Yes,, getting a new passport issued in Bangkok,,, NO problem,, I got the DBL entry,,,, Honestly,,, I do think some of it stems from how you LOOK when applying for a visa,, and boarding,, are you dressed like a perpetual backpacker?,, with no intentions of leaving?,, or are you dress as a "normal" traveler,, vacationing in Thailand,,, I'm ALWAYS AMAZED by how some IDIOTS are dressed.. and act while I've been in immigrations extending my TV,,,, sloppy dress,, half drunk,, HIGH,, asking permission to stay longer,,, crazy,,,, ACT respectful,, responsible,,, When picking up my new passport at the US embassy here,, I got there during their lunch break,,, a room FULL of US citzens,, patiently waiting their, "turn" at window 3 check-in,,, this USA THUG looking IDIOT,, wearing his full, "uniform" of pants around his ass,, LA hat on sideways,, huge gold chains,, comes in almost last,,, decides to just go STAND AT THE #3 counter,, As if he's NOT required to, "get in line",,, we all looked at each other like,,, "REALLY?",,,, was rude to the staff when they opened,,, GUESS who ended up leaving almost LAST!,,, Be respectful people,,,, I was VERY close to getting an overstay,, by ONE day in a BRAND new passport,, Immigrations mentioned it would be NOOOOO problem,, I simply said,, "I don't really want ANY over-stay in a brand new passport,, I LOVE living in Thailand,, and want don't want to "abuse" the priviledge,,,, She smiled,, and ended up giving me 3 weeks,, instead of the standard 2,,,, BE RESPECTFUL,. you're a VISITOR here,,,

Edited by Adeeos
  • Like 1

What is the objective in flying somewhere without a return ticket?

Maybe you return is not,, "set in stone",,, wanna buy a tick, then sometimes pay through the nose to change it?.... I've flown in MANY times, with NO return tic,,, NEVER EVER been refused,,, it's called,,, "leaving your options open".....

Edited by Adeeos

Passport required.

- Nationals of USA can enter with passports and/or passport

replacing documents valid for the period of intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days:

Minors:

- When arriving in, or departing from Thailand, minors aged

under 16 yearsFor details, click here

Additional Information:

- Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents

for their next destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold

sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.-

per person or THB 20,000.- per family).

For details, click here

- For those who do not require a visaFor details, click here

Warning:

- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward

tickets could be refused entry.

What is the objective in flying somewhere without a return ticket?

Did that all the time, but with a valid Thai Tourist Visa in Passport and bought my return Tickets in TH,most times cheaper, as I stay in TH and the region longer than in Europe.

Regarding -Return Ticket- used many times the possibility from Phuket to fly to KL or Singapore to get 30 days more for TH-Visa exemption and had never a Return Ticket, was never asked, Air Asia and Jet Airways, Tiger Airways.

So, its not always -so hot eaten, than it is cooked- as we say.wink.png

It varies on the return ticket,, Last feb I applied for a dbl entry TV at the consolute in Chicago,, had less than 12 months on my passport,, was asked by the staff,,, NO return tik?... No, am applying for a retirement visa,,, Less than 12 months valid passport?,,, Yes,, getting a new passport issued in Bangkok,,, NO problem,, I got the DBL entry,,,, Honestly,,, I do think some of it stems from how you LOOK when applying for a visa,, and boarding,, are you dressed like a perpetual backpacker?,, with no intentions of leaving?,, or are you dress as a "normal" traveler,, vacationing in Thailand,,, I'm ALWAYS AMAZED by how some IDIOTS are dressed.. and act while I've been in immigrations extending my TV,,,, sloppy dress,, half drunk,, HIGH,, asking permission to stay longer,,, crazy,,,, ACT respectful,, responsible,,, When picking up my new passport at the US embassy here,, I got there during their lunch break,,, a room FULL of US citzens,, patiently waiting their, "turn" at window 3 check-in,,, this USA THUG looking IDIOT,, wearing his full, "uniform" of pants around his ass,, LA hat on sideways,, huge gold chains,, comes in almost last,,, decides to just go STAND AT THE #3 counter,, As if he's NOT required to, "get in line",,, we all looked at each other like,,, "REALLY?",,,, was rude to the staff when they opened,,, GUESS who ended up leaving almost LAST!,,, Be respectful people,,,, I was VERY close to getting an overstay,, by ONE day in a BRAND new passport,, Immigrations mentioned it would be NOOOOO problem,, I simply said,, "I don't really want ANY over-stay in a brand new passport,, I LOVE living in Thailand,, and want don't want to "abuse" the priviledge,,,, She smiled,, and ended up giving me 3 weeks,, instead of the standard 2,,,, BE RESPECTFUL,. you're a VISITOR here,,,

Wow dude...

Back on topic... I flew here originally on a tourist visa without a return ticket. No problems.

Edited by RealRyguy