Urgent Wake-Up Call For Koh Samui

webfact

Excuse me. I stayed in cheap places that had little impact on the environment. Greedy Thais are responsible for the destruction that has occured since.

Off course you had impact on the environment.

You told your friend and they told their friends etc, you created the demand.

So without you there would not have been any "destruction".

I can positively say that I never told anyone to go to Samui.

None of the people I was friends with/ worked with had any interest in visiting Thailand, let alone Samui.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh, Samui.

I first went to Samui in 2003. I was supposed to be on Samui for 3 weeks, but I stayed for 7 months. I loved it, a little paradise island.

Fast forward to my return visit in 2008. Oh, how it had changed! More of everything and a different feel to the island.

This year I have been for 2 holidays on Samui and I still love it. Sure it's not the island it was 10 years, its not better or worse, just a bit different, but it is still my favourite place in Thailand.

You guys that live there are very fortunate indeed.

So you can imagine how much lovelier it was in 1993 when I first went there.

I never go back now, as it makes me weep to see what they did to the place.

Come on - get over it. Why do people always harp on about 'the good old days'? Been there, done that. It was fine at the time, but now - nah!

So you were a visitor. Yes - living in the Stoneage is fine for a short time, but the 21st century is here.

You might be the exception, but a holiday destination with no internet, telephone, electricity, roads etc and an 8 -12 hour journey once you get into the country - not really for most people.

Cannot buy the basics back then. Have an accident and die (and you are 20 years older now)! <deleted> get real. The rest of the world has moved on. Your home town is not the same. Your family is not the same. Why do you want to live in a time-warp bubble?

OK - to take your argument to the next step - come to Koh Som for a holiday.

I will organise the water, candles, food and beer (for a price of course) and I promise that you will be alone on the beach. In fact, for most of the time you will have the whole island to yourself! You can practice your stick-rubbing skills to light a fire and live off the local flora and fauna if you like. If you have a family, GHY.

Keep the Koh Samui of 1993 in your dreams.

By the way - I understand your need for paradise - I was married in the Seychelles back in 1989 and I have been back since then. Trust me - it is a lot diferent now, but I still would not want it to go back to then. Progress is actually a good thing most of the time.

Good grief. Samui in the early 1990s was well developed with a concrete ring road, good songtheaw service, electricity everywhere, hospitals, everything. What it wasn't, was overdeveloped.

Chaweng had a good mix of luxury resort and cheap huts, none of which were visible beyond the palm tree line.

BTW, the internet didn't exist anywhere in 1993!

None of the people I was friends with/ worked with had any interest in visiting Thailand, let alone Samui.

I beg your pardon.

All your posts here on the Samui forum is about the good time you had on Samui 1993.

I beg your pardon.

All your posts here on the Samui forum is about the good time you had on Samui 1993.

I did indeed, and later than 1993 as well. I visited many times over the years, staying on Chaweng and Lamai, and never had a problem with the place. As close to Paradise as I have ever come.

Now I visit Phangan instead as some of the beaches there have the same low level of environmental intrusion as Chaweng used to.

Unfortunately, developer greed is invading Phangan, now that the ring road and 24/7 electricity is reaching the once isolated north east. Even Bottle has a horrid concrete hotel slap in the middle, right next to the sand. It'll all be like Samui soon. Sad.

I did indeed, and later than 1993 as well. I visited many times over the years, staying on Chaweng and Lamai, and never had a problem with the place. As close to Paradise as I have ever come.

Now I visit Phangan instead as some of the beaches there have the same low level of environmental intrusion as Chaweng used to.

Unfortunately, developer greed is invading Phangan, now that the ring road and 24/7 electricity is reaching the once isolated north east. Even Bottle has a horrid concrete hotel slap in the middle, right next to the sand. It'll all be like Samui soon. Sad.

So stay home and don't contribute to the development.

Your visits here have already contributed enough to the development you condemn.

So you can imagine how much lovelier it was in 1993 when I first went there.

I never go back now, as it makes me weep to see what they did to the place.

So you can imagine how much lovelier it was 1970 before you and your friends came.

The locals still weeps when they see what you did to the place.

...so different then – you would probably never settle on that primitive island.

However, the progess made (most of) the locals wealthy and life a lot easier – you may have noticed the change from 1993 to 2003, and again the next decade with shopping malls and a Seven-like shop on almost every corner. Samui has become different, but still (same) paradise smile.png

i just hope over the next 10 years that ill still be able to call thailand and samui home. nothing against back home but even with the problems here id rather take the opportunity to be here, as nothing to really go back to. although still have to keep the backup plan in mind though that the time may come when its not wise to be here.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Sorry to disappoint you but I've been here over 10 years now, and this is As close to Paradise as I have ever come.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

+1

This is the pile that partially got burned a week or so ago, now heaped up again... There were some bins there before....most of them got burnt .... whistling.gif

Just to update this pile of rubbish which had doubled in size by yesterday, since my first post.... was removed by from what I saw, one man with a dump truck .thumbsup.gif .. the truck almost got stuck in the mud!!! ...whistling.gif

Glad it's gone!! sick.gif .... But already more has appeared, just hope things get back to regular pick up! wink.png

post-85461-0-76836700-1356865153_thumb.j

Sorry to disappoint you but I've been here over 10 years now, and this is As close to Paradise as I have ever come.

Then perhaps you need to get out a bit more.

Edited by RogueLeader

Well said. To each their own, for sure, but Samui has too much concrete to be my paradise. Many other beaches I've visited have been far better now, since Chaweng went the "upmarket" route.

For some, the grass will be forever greener on the other side on the fence.

And I think it's fair to say we like this side of the fence hi5.gif

Not to say that there are not better places when aspects are taken in isolation. The Cook islands are nice but they have terrible infrastructure. Fish is dirt cheap but a lettuce will cost you 400 Baht. Fiji is nice but too violent, Samoa the same. The three little islands just off the north coast of Lombok are wonderful with no vehicles and clear blue water. The call to prayer (Islamic) drives you nuts after a while. Langkawi is nice for a short break but there is not much there and it isn't cheap even if you know what you are doing. Samui gives me a perfect balance of all the things I'm looking for. If I had to leave Samui I would go to Lamma island off Hongkong.

One of the few places left how it should be, its a great shame Samui, Phuket, Krabi etc have turned into what they are now but thats the way it is. All the tourist forums has its haters not just this one. They were all nicer plces until "we" arrived. Thankfully this beach even dropping a cigarette butt gets you a fine and all deck chairs etc are purchased off the navy guys, not a hotel in site.

post-140396-0-69128800-1356892559_thumb.

post-140396-0-61988800-1356892594_thumb.

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

Well said. To each their own, for sure, but Samui has too much concrete to be my paradise. Many other beaches I've visited have been far better now, since Chaweng went the "upmarket" route.

Chaweng beach is not the only beach on Samui.

I bet you have never been to Taan beach, It's like Chaweng 1970.

7 bungalows, one restaurant, electric between 6 PM-11PM.

And you sir, need to get out from Nottingham some more. tongue.png

For those who find Samui has become so terrible bad, I do not understand why they come back or still stay here unsure.png

I came, I saw, I left.

Paradise lost imo, but for me it was a great couple of years to get my thoughts together and make a plan. Met some great people who I still keep in touch with but I met a lot more bitter and twisted individuals (foreign and domestic). And I understand why, usually they came to Samui with wide eyes and just wanted to live the dream (nothing wrong with that) and for whatever reason it didn't work out. Or its a lot harder work than anticipated (not helped by exchange rates plummeting and things outside of our control) and now they are fearful of failing and having to go back to their country of origin broke. Very normal feelings I think most of us have to some degree.

Anyway, back to the original post.

I believe its too late, the wake up call should have been at least 15 years ago. Samui is a five star favela because it is foreigners that pumped the money into building dreams, but under Thai authority. These two are the antithesis of each other and unfortunately, the rot had been set in concrete from day one and no foreigner will ever change it. Even if the infrastructure is miraculously fixed overnight, it will never fix the underlying problem of systemic corruption combined with (rich) island mentality. In fact, that would probably only multiply the island mentality exponentially.

However if you still have the will then corruption must be exposed and fought because no matter how ingrained, under Thai Law corruption is illegal.

So the wake up call is this-

Go with the flow, fight it or get out.

Most whine but go with the flow. Some just move on but very few do something about it.

Which one are you?