People Who Work From Home

Hi there,

Throughout my travels I met quite a few people who were able to move from place to place without worry due to the fact that they were able to work from home as programmers.

I am always intrigued as to what sort of jobs you can do from home so if anyone on here is in that position I would be grateful if you could enlighten me :-)

Thank you!

A friend has an online business selling T-shirts with jokes to European customers (the stupid jokes sell the most btw...).

He moves every 1-2 years and at $25 a pop makes on average over $2000 every month,

All he needs is a proper internet connection to manage his website + FB and proper postal system to ship his homemade (high quality) t-shirts.

Works mornings only (manages sales, prints shirts and does packing with GF) and off he goes to post office, lunch and free afternoon time.

Great life although obviously talented to generate constant sales all year long!

• Like 1

Have 2 friends that work on line from here. One is fluent in Japanese and translates engineering specs for a big Jap company, he is on a salary. Plus he does other work translating free lance.

Other has a data warehouse company in the US ;[what ever that is ] has a partner there and 5 employees. Can work anywhere as long as he has fast net, flies back every 3 month for a week.

Think you have to be really smart or have a special skill to be able to make a living on the net. Jim

• Like 2

A friend has an online business selling T-shirts with jokes to European customers.

Hi hopdafru, wow that's a great idea and you're right, he certainly is talented to be able to do that successfully! smile.png

Have 2 friends that work on line from here. One is fluent in Japanese and translates engineering specs for a big Jap company, he is on a salary. Plus he does other work translating free lance.

Other has a data warehouse company in the US ;[what ever that is ] has a partner there and 5 employees. Can work anywhere as long as he has fast net, flies back every 3 month for a week.

Think you have to be really smart or have a special skill to be able to make a living on the net. Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. It sounds like your two friends have great jobs which let them work from anywhere. I would love to be able to do something like that but unfortunately I'm too stupid / lazy sad.png

Matt.

Edited by mattk1

Something to always consider, most those people are working illegally in Thailand, and do not pay taxes.

In the case of the guy doing the translations, not much they can do about locally, as nobody would know about it.

The guy shipping the shirts is altogether different. He is running a full fledged manufacturing/exporting business and as such should be registered (Co., Ltd.) with the proper amount of Thai employees and a WP for himself.

Many people do this under radar and get away with it, but it needs to be told that they are illegal and run the risk of getting arrested, fined, jailed and deported!

• Like 1

That is a good point you make Monty, I wonder just how many people do this? That said, perhaps the guy selling Tshirts does have a company set up and has Thai employees.. smile.png

Few years ago i knew quite a few who sold on ebay for a living,

I tried it one time and made 11000 euro in 3 months but it was something which would only work 1 time,

Only mistake i made was at the end of it i bought a bottle of whiskey and was alone celebrating, I took a few hours to look around at what others were selling,

As i came around in the morning laying on the floor with and empty bottle ..laptop beside me i rolled over to check as i had a horrible feeling something stupid had happened....

i had paid 300$ for angelina jolies dirty underwear.

ps....dont know anyone who sells on ebay now.

• Like 1

That is a good point you make Monty, I wonder just how many people do this? That said, perhaps the guy selling Tshirts does have a company set up and has Thai employees.. smile.png

I also know a few guys who work online and at some point decided it was time to setup a legal thai company in this way with the only advantage being that they would be legal,

They gave up when in the process they realised they would have to do something illegal to do that.

Edited by tingtongfarang
  • Like 1

Hi tingtongfarang (great username by the way),

Love that story! clap2.gif Does it feel good to get it off your chest and tell us lot smile.png

You should pat yourself on the back for the 3 month achievement, that's impressive. I think ebay has had its day with private sales, it's mostly companies on there now. What did you sell out of curiosity, tell me to mind my own business of course!

Cheers.

Hi tingtongfarang (great username by the way),Love that story! clap2.gif Does it feel good to get it off your chest and tell us lot smile.pngYou should pat yourself on the back for the 3 month achievement, that's impressive. I think ebay has had its day with private sales, it's mostly companies on there now. What did you sell out of curiosity, tell me to mind my own business of course!Cheers.
Angelinas G string arrived in a sealed plastic bag (to preserve the smell i guess) folded in a way to display the white skid mark in the crotch, I had the intention to resell them but had placed the plastic bag on my desk,

My greek gf at the time who was always looking for drama and would force me to speak greek so she had the upper hand picked them up and demanded to know who,s they were,i could,nt be arsed to give a complete answer and told her ...i have no idea...they arrived in the post and now you know as much as me...take them if you like,She stuffed them in her jeans pocket ...later i felt loath to ask what happened to them,

I was selling mint condition sets of euro coins from greece and other euro zones to german coin collectors,

ps...Reviewing my history on the morning i woke up with arabs underpants in the mouth syndrome i noticed i had also been bidding for a potatoe which the seller claimed was a lookalike of the pope...i remember it went for a higher price than angelinas G string,Tip for the OP....gfs underwear? if she does,nt agree get out to the market searching for a thaksin lookalike potatoe.

Edited by tingtongfarang
  • Like 1

Trading financial markets, like stocks, futures, forex, etc. You only need a stable internet connection and a laptop.

Freelance work that does not require any large physical location, such as:

Software development, almost any field.

building websites.

Translation work (met a few people who did it successfully, not necessarily Thai language)

There is also a way to attend school online, and then have your room and board in a foreign country. This works out really well if you have scholarship and/or other financing like GI Bill, student loans, etc. You'd be amazed at what young people will do to stay in the LoS.

The key is to take advantage of your skill and reduce your overhead as much as possible. Certain places allow you to do this.