Christmas Buffet- Dar's Place, Jomtien

Michaelaway

I post this at the risk of sounding like a shill for the place, which of course I'm not. But I do like the restaurant because they're nice people, serving (large portions of) very tasty, homemade comfort foods at very good prices- never had a bad meal there. Anyway, I just found out that Dar's Place, on Soi Watboon is serving their Christmas Buffet of: turkey, baked ham, roast pork, roast lamb, pigs in blankets, lots of different vegetable dishes; for dessert: Christmas pudding, apple pie, chocolate brownies. 900 baht per person- eat as much as you like; and booking a reservation is advisable. So, there you go.

"Christmas Buffet of: turkey, baked ham, roast pork, roast lamb, pigs in blankets, lots of different vegetable dishes; for dessert: Christmas pudding, apple pie, chocolate brownies. 900 baht per person"

Not the most expensive buffet I've seen advertised for this Xmas, but certainly not the cheapest either. I have booked for something that sounds very similar (plus a good selection of rather nice starters) for 600B and it was a toss-up between there and two other places doing a similar meal at an identical price.

For another day over the holiday I'm also considering a European-managed place that is doing a fairly unusual Xmas buffet menu for 500B (including some sort of dubious-sounding free drink).

After that I will probably sleep until 2013.

"Christmas Buffet of: turkey, baked ham, roast pork, roast lamb, pigs in blankets, lots of different vegetable dishes; for dessert: Christmas pudding, apple pie, chocolate brownies. 900 baht per person"

Not the most expensive buffet I've seen advertised for this Xmas, but certainly not the cheapest either. I have booked for something that sounds very similar (plus a good selection of rather nice starters) for 600B and it was a toss-up between there and two other places doing a similar meal at an identical price.

For another day over the holiday I'm also considering a European-managed place that is doing a fairly unusual Xmas buffet menu for 500B (including some sort of dubious-sounding free drink).

After that I will probably sleep until 2013.

Are these "other places" a secret? Some of the more price conscious readers might appreciate knowing what good, lower priced options may still be available. The best ones are now, I expect, fully booked for Christmas dinner.

The place I'm going to on the 25th has been fully-booked for a week or so. So no joy there, I'm afraid.

Dicey Reilly's has what looks like two pretty good menus for 700B on the 24th and 25th, though they were available for pre-booking at 600B last week. The menu on the 24th looks the better of the two, to me. I was going to go to one or the other of these but I switched to my other venue at the last minute. I dont think that I could manage three Xmas buffets in just 60 hours!

Deutsch Haus (sp?) seems to be attracting a lot of attention at 280B (250B for pre-booking) and I was thinking of going but I looked at their regular Saturday buffet a couple of weeks ago and was very unimpressed. Maybe I am making a mistake. A friend of mine is going, so I will hear all about it soon enough and may put it on my list for Xmas 2013.

Wandering around 2nd Rd/Soi Buakow this morning I noticed a lot of signs up for Xmas meals/carveries/buffets at between 300B and 600B. I dont know any more about them than that though.

I think I'll keep quiet about the other places, at least until I have sorted out my bookings. tongue.png

Beach Rd/Soi 4. I got my info from a flyer and a Google search didnt bring up much extra, at least not in any language I can understand. Maybe you should go in person to see what it's about and if they still have places. The flyer menu was certainly not traditional UK Xmas, but it was interesting. Looking at their other buffet put me right off though.

900 baht and no free drinks ? sounds expensive as hell sad.png

Buy your own turkey - 1000 baht plus

Buy your own leg of lamb - about 700

Buy all the vegetables and all the extras....at least another 1000.

Shop, then cook it yourself. About 4 hours of work but you won't have half the selection of the buffet.,

Then clean up the mess after cooking and eating.

Then decide how expensive it is.

IMO if the food is nice it's a bargain.

You can book the Christmas Buffet at the Edge at the Hilton. Christmas Eve dinner & Christmas Day Brunch - 2200 baht per person - drinks extra (a lot extra).

Flare at Hilton - Christmas Eve & Christmas Evening - 2800 baht per person

Horizon at Hilton - Christmas Eve & Christmas Day - 4500 baht per person.

.. or save up for New Years Eve....

Edge 7pm till 11:30pm, 7000 baht per person (including a bottle of Lombard Champagne)

.. or if you really want to splash out..

Celebrate the New Year at the Horizon restaurant at Hilton from 7pm until 2am. 19,000 baht per person (including 1 bottle of Moet & Chandon champagne).

They'll be no risk of bumping into me at any of those places. I may give the New Years Day brunch a go though - at only 1200 baht per person.

Last year I wasted my money at Caddy Shack. It was the worst Christmas Lunch I've ever had - disgusting. They used dry processed (pressed) turkey breast. It was inedible. Maybe they learned from their mistake and go back to real turkey this year, but I'm not taking the chance. I've got my own turkey to roast at home.

Edited by tropo

[Are these "other places" a secret? Some of the more price conscious readers might appreciate knowing what good, lower priced options may still be available. The best ones are now, I expect, fully booked for Christmas dinner.

/quote]

You may well be correct. The one I'm going to is free, but invitation only. Sorry

Shop, then cook it yourself. About 4 hours of work but you won't have half the selection of the buffet.,

Maybe not, but you will have cooked enough to feed 10 people or more, so the cost per head would only be a couple of hundred Baht.

900B seems high when compared to the much more usual 500-600 places that one can see all over town and which seem to be offering a very similar menu to the one mentioned.

I wouldn't compare any of the 500-600B places (or the 900B place in the title) to what you would probably be getting at the Hilton though.

Maybe not, but you will have cooked enough to feed 10 people or more, so the cost per head would only be a couple of hundred Baht.

I'm cooking a turkey for myself and my wife, so it still costs a bit. Sure, I'll have lots of turkey left over, but in large quantity leftovers can become a chore to eat.

• Like 1

I'm cooking a turkey for myself and my wife, so it still costs a bit. Sure, I'll have lots of turkey left over, but in large quantity leftovers can become a chore to eat.

Since I know you hate to waste money, I offer you help in reducing the left over quantity without a charge. wai.gif

PM me the time I should arrive.

Since I know you hate to waste money, I offer you help in reducing the left over quantity without a charge. wai.gif

PM me the time I should arrive.

I'll pass. I'm a bit of a social recluse. Thaivisa made me that way.biggrin.png

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions but in the end I think I will stick to my 30 baht chicken & rice plate + free water with ice smile.png

merry christmas. i hope you enjoy it.

Im opting or a full christmas dinner with freinds and family, but your plan sounds pretty good too.

perhaps if you have some free time on the 26th and pop by the house and dive my bins

Edited by tinfoilhat

perhaps if you have some free time on the 26th and pop by the house and dive my bins

And get arrested by immigration for working and end up deported ? no thanks :rolleyes:

Edited by yoslim

Thanks for all the suggestions but in the end I think I will stick to my 30 baht chicken & rice plate + free water with ice smile.png

Most of these, "eat all you can buffets" are exactly what it says on the tin, you don't have to eat it all in one sitting though!! I personally know the owners of a few places offering the all day buffets, and if you've been a regular of any sort (and not a tight ar_e all year round) at these establishments, you'ld be more than welcome to have a turkey and stuffing / pork and apple sauce sandwich about 12 noon, have a few drinks, then mid afternoon, maybe a roast beef and horse raddish sauce sandwich with roast tatties and gravy mid afternoon, then a few drinks, and sit down for a full Xmas dinner early evening with friends, all for the one price (LESS THAT 600BAHT). Not to mention as many starters as you want, I'm sure you'll know how much one decent prawn cocktail alone would set you back.

But you stick to your Xmas dinner of chicken and rice + free water. Ba Hum Bug!!cheesy.gif

If you look around, you should certainly also be able to find a few 50 Baht Beer Bars with a horrible greasy pig on a spit outside. Hmmmm, nice treat for Xmas!!!thumbsup.gif

..... if you've been a regular of any sort (and not a tight ar_e all year round) at these establishments, you'ld be more than welcome to have a turkey and stuffing / pork and apple sauce sandwich about 12 noon, have a few drinks, then mid afternoon, maybe a roast beef and horse raddish sauce sandwich with roast tatties and gravy mid afternoon, then a few drinks, and sit down for a full Xmas dinner early evening with friends, all for the one price (LESS THAT 600BAHT). Not to mention as many starters as you want, I'm sure you'll know how much one decent prawn cocktail alone would set you back.

They would do well on the beer sales so I doubt they would be out of pocket. But the place I'm going to is completely booked out, so I dont suppose they would even have the seats available for people to hang around all day.

In spite of seasonal cheer, if I spent 8 hours in one of those pubs I would be just about ready to slit my own throat so I think I would rather just get in, eat my sprouts etc, then get out and go home in peace. Merry Xmas.

I'm getting a head start. Turkey in the oven, ready about 10pm.biggrin.png

It was strange that they were offering turkeys on special just before Christmas.... saved me nearly 200 baht. You'd think Foodland would save the specials for other times but I'm not complaining.

• 11 months later...

I am looking for a Christmas buffet next week in Jomtien area. With Turkey and everything. Any recommendations under 800 baht per person? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app