Buy, Secure Bicycle In Bkk

OliverKlozerof

(Just searched 'bicycle,' 'bike,' 'cycling'...didn't find much...let me know if you know of a thread that already exists on this....)

I'm thinking of getting a bicycle for getting around BKK (Sukhumvit area, mainly), but perhaps also for longer rides. I live on Langsuan near Chitlom BTS. Yesterday I went down to Sarasin (street at end of Langsuan that runs along Lumpini Park), to the bike shops there. The sales lady at Pro Bike recommended a 'city bike,' which is actually what I had when I lived in San Fran Bay Area (tires a little wider than road bike, but not as wide as mountain bike). Price was B18k. The other shop on Sarasin, Culture Cycliste, didn't have as much selection. Just did a little googling and came across Bike Zone, which I now remember seeing in Amarin Plaza building. I'll walk over there today....

I bought a cheap bike 6 years ago at Big C (~B5k?), left it chained by BTS (Chitlom), one day. When I got back, it was had been stolen. I asked her about how to secure a bike. All she said was, 'Leave it by a mall or on the street for more than 20 minutes and it will be gone. Many of our customers come to buy a replacement bike.' Sounds like you basically have to carry it inside wherever you go (if it's a decent bike). I guess case hardened U-locks are the best, combined with case hardened cable locks through the wheels and seat....

Any *helpful* info would be appreciated.

For just riding around the city, don't spend a lot. Pick up one of the Big C or Lotus bikes, not the really cheap ones, and you should be fine. I have 2 quite nice bikes, one worth over a thousand dollars. I have always used U locks, and over 5 years have not had the hint of a problem. The chains, though . . . don't go that way. And the really good one I try to keep near me all the time, plus run a thick steel cable through the wheels besides the U lock. The other one I've left all morning and afternoon sometimes at BTS bike racks. Also, Lotus, Big C, and most other big stores have parking areas mostly for motorcycles but also for bikes, and you can usually lock your bike to a stanchion or steel fence, and they have security there.

If you want to ride long distances, or do serious excercise biking, get something better. The GIANT bike shops are a little cheaper than Bike Zone or Pro Bike.

• Like 1

There's a great little corner bike shop on Chan Road - soi 18/5. It's a family run business and they speak good English. Whilst not an extensive choice, the quality of bikes is better than Big C and quite reasonably priced. Don't bother with Big C, the quality of service (and bikes) you get there is terrible.

There's a great little corner bike shop on Chan Road - soi 18/5. It's a family run business and they speak good English. Whilst not an extensive choice, the quality of bikes is better than Big C and quite reasonably priced. Don't bother with Big C, the quality of service (and bikes) you get there is terrible.

True but gets the job done and minimizes theft risks.